Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Babysitting a 15 month old boy driving me to distraction please help!

(211 Posts)
Cher69 Mon 20-Jul-20 10:38:06

Hi everyone I do hope someone can give me some advice because I am at a loss here. I brought up 3 girls who are now in their late 20s and coped pretty well. But now I am in my 50s and have fibromyalgia and copd so basically I get tired very quickly. However I babysit my little grandson who is 15 months old and I love him dearly but I am finding it hard to cope with him. Ok here goes first of all the stuff I dont know what to do about and trust me I have tried everything I know about parenting but nothing seems to work with him.He is constantly on the go. He literally runs everywhere so ends up running into things and then next thing he is on the floor uncontrollably crying. He throws all his food on the floor. He doesn't seem to like anything except for quavers and chips and the odd strawberry or ice lolly. He will throw toys across the room. Pour juice on the carpet on purpose and think it's funny and laugh. Crumble up his quavers and stand on them. He goes round the house searching for things he shouldn't have then trashing them. I have tried the usual things like explaining to him that he shouldn't do it and why. But he doesnt listen just ignores me and carry on. I have said to him " no thankyou" and " that's really naughty" but still Carrys on and laughs at me. The only thing that seems to work is if I raise my voice. But I dont want to have to keep shouting because then he crys and comes to me for a hug and comfort. Then I feel awful. I can not remember it being this hard when I brought up my girls.He seems to have no fear either he climbs up everything. I have tried to get him to engage in play with me like books and storys. Playing games with him but he just throws everything. I am just at a loss and dread him coming round even though I love him to pieces hes driving me insane. Please help thankyou. Sorry my message is so long?

Callistemon Mon 20-Jul-20 15:41:22

A proper playpen, the old-fashioned kind.
My DS worked out how to dismantle his new fangled playpen at about 10 months of age.

Sussexborn Mon 20-Jul-20 15:50:50

32 seems a little harsh! I was thinking 26/27.

Playpen, gates at doors, childlocks on cupboard doors and drawers, reins for outings and a straight jacket if all else fails! (Joke! Before the humourless weigh in).

My son was quieter than his sisters though that might be that he slept a lot more. I took them out everyday even if it was just for a walk locally. Without this I would go stir crazy and so would they.

Cher. You shouldn’t be asked to look after a lively toddler with your health issues. We have a tendency to down play symptoms with visitors.

Give them a set notice period to make other arrangements then don’t answer the door if they ignore you.

Doesn’t a 15 month old have a daytime ??

nanaK54 Mon 20-Jul-20 15:57:39

Please don't shout at him, please don't use a 'naughty step' or 'time out' he is far too young to understand these methods sad
Yes to the high chair for eating and drinking
Lots of outdoor time too

Grannybags Mon 20-Jul-20 16:06:49

There's always CBeebies when you're desperate.....wink

Callistemon Mon 20-Jul-20 16:10:54

I was thinking more like 40, Sussexborn and Furret!

It's not always the rule that girls are quiet and boys more rumbustious either.
I know!

TerriBull Mon 20-Jul-20 17:19:00

I just remember taking my boys outside to the park as often as possible, there was something called the "One O'clock Club" in my nearby park run by our local council, which had all manner of outside activities, sandpits, climbing frame structures, trikes, they loved it. I also took them to a lot of "Come and Play" type groups in church halls several times a week and they were a Godsend for expending energy, so they were relatively calm indoors, and if they'd had enough time outside, they were always ready for the God awful "Thomas the Tank", which they begged to watch so they could re enact all the train crash opportunities with their Brio train set. Fresh air tended to knock them out, so I was kind of guaranteed to get a daytime sleep out of them, particularly after they'd eaten. Boys do run about a lot and I think they need to get all that energy out of their system, mine seemed to spend quite a lot of time "exploding" from what I remember from the accompanying noises that went with play. It is very tiring I do sympathise, although you are a fairly young grandma but with such a condition as fibromyalgia I imagine it must be wearing for you. I also sympathise with the diet, my second son was such a faddy eater compared to my first, started spitting out food when weaning commenced, but I wouldn't have let him exist on a diet of Quavers and chips, not a lot of nutrition there and as others have stated may exacerbate the behaviour he is displaying.

I didn't use the naughty step with my sons, but I remember my granddaughter's mother asked me to use it when she had the occasional tantrum whilst I was looking after her, but she was so distraught after about ten seconds I just let her off it.

Best wishes, I hope you manage to find a way of making your little chap tired so he takes a nap during the day to give you some respite.

Callistemon Mon 20-Jul-20 17:24:16

My youngest DGC liked the naughty step; she was a bit older (3 or 4) and understood perfectly well what it was. If told off she would say brightly "oh, I'll just go and sit on the naughty step for a bit".
Time to give up.

Grandmabatty Mon 20-Jul-20 17:30:23

I sympathise with you. I look after my 17 month old grandson two days a week. At 15 months your grandson is still a baby and is exploring his world. A naughty step at that age will achieve little. Offer water, not juice, then it doesn't matter if it spills. My grandson just drops his cup or bottle when he's had enough. I assume your GS does too. He isn't being bad. If he is smashing up his snack like quavers, then he isn't hungry. Only offer a couple at a time. As others say, he eats in a high chair. At that age they don't have a long attention span so lots of different things to do, including tv and books. I try to get my GS out each day. Sometimes it's to play in the garden which doesn't last long. Sometimes I take him a walk in his buggy. I'm fairly healthy and I'm tired after a day so you must be exhausted. I think you could let your DD know that and renegotiate the hours you watch him. Tbh some posters advice is great, but for older toddlers. You are asking a lot of a baby to sit still for long. Good luck.

Sussexborn Mon 20-Jul-20 17:38:10

when my older two had chicken pox one after the other and then whooping cough I would put them in the bath out of desperation. I look back and think how great it was when they were small but forget about the trickier times.

Peardrop50 Mon 20-Jul-20 17:43:23

Cher69 I am exhausted just reading your post. Lots of good advice I can't improve upon. Definitely agree you should cut back the hours at least until he's a little older and can be reasoned with.
PaddyAnne 'I used to sit IN the playpen with a coffee while my child ran wild round it ..worked for me'
What a wonderful picture that conjured up for me, so funny.

Nanof3 Mon 20-Jul-20 17:48:55

My youngest son was affected by e numbers in food, there was one time I gave him some tangerine segments on the way to a Dr appointment and in the waiting room he was out of control and practically climbing the walls. The Dr saw this and told me citrus can be as bad as any artificial colours. Check the quavers packet and stick to water and rich tea biscuits, he loved to 'help' me hoover or sweep and also to empty a special cupboard or play with cardboard boxes, especially ones he could sit in with lots of cushions.

quizqueen Mon 20-Jul-20 17:54:09

It may be sexist to say it but I think boys mostly just need to be outside running around. I had two daughters myself and then my first two grandchildren were girls too and they would sit indoors and draw and play with toys nicely for hours. My first grandson, now 2 years old, is a different kettle of fish altogether. He only has to touch things which have been in the family for generations and they get broken (not on purpose).

I keep him in the garden as much as possible and he eats out there too so crumbs can be left on the floor for the birds. He has sand and water, stuff to build with, small world toys, drawing materials and big ride on cars and I have a summerhouse with a toy kitchen/ dolls and cots etc. in there so he can occupy himself for ages wandering from one thing of his choice to another quite freely.

I don't buy things like Quavers or squash-the colourings in those sort of things are probably helping to make him hyper-so my grandchildren eat what they are given or go hungry. Luckily, my grandson will eat anything. I let him help me water the plants and pick the tomatoes etc. so giving some responsibility is a good thing...under supervision, of course. He picked peas I'd grown the other day and pulled a face when he put a raw one in his mouth for the first time, so I ate one and said, 'Yum, yum', 'and then he copied. Going to the park regularly is good way to burn off steam and they have just reopened and toddler groups when they start up again will give you a break from one on one.

If he sees you are exasperated with his behaviour, he will wind you up even more. What could be more fun!!!! I don't put up with badly behaved children, I'm afraid, but I do recognise they need a certain amount of freedom, lots of praise and a variety of activities to keep them busy and have fun while learning about the world. I kept all my own toys (I was an only child) and all my own children's toys too so my house and garden is like being let loose in Toys R Us!!

Lyndylou Mon 20-Jul-20 18:05:05

I have a new grandson due in October, it is a big surprise especially to the parents who were becoming used to the idea that mum couldn't have children. They went to IVF as a last resort expecting to then get on with their lives having done all they could!! Anyway he will be here in a few weeks and I have said I will help with childcare at the end of 2021 so mum can go back to work. I will be 70 at that point. But I have firmly said all along I can only have him for a maximum of 3 to 4 hours and this thread has reminded me why! My hands and knees would just not cope with the constantly picking up of a toddler and cleaning up after them all day. It would be far too much for me and I consider myself fairly fit apart from the arthritis.

Everyone is different health wise and you know your own limits so you need to ensure you are not taking on too much. Totally agree food and drink only in a high chair or maybe a play pen with a plastic mat. Definitely disagree with the idea that you are valuing your carpet over the child, no 15 month old needs to throw food and drink, he may want to but he can learn not to. My other GS knew about 18 months the difference between the kitchen and the living room because we have a big 6 ft gap between the two rooms, no door or gate is possible so he had to learn for his own safety. He would stand on the boundary without an issue and not try and come in because we had drilled it into him. So now is the time to teach him what you will accept. Try and persist with building towers of blocks, looking at books, or even TV together so he gets used to the idea of Nana being for nice quiet times. I think some children do not react well with constant moving between environments, such as his home to your home, and different care givers. He is after all at the prime age for separation anxiety and he may start to settle once he feels more secure. Constancy of routines and rules will actually help that development.

Finally as I say I have laid down the amount of time I can have the new baby. If the parents want to work, which I totally understand, then we need to arrange a morning nursery so I can pick him up and then have him all afternoon. I am far more likely then to enjoy his company and give him all my energy.

Lyndylou Mon 20-Jul-20 18:09:15

Peardrop50 My son hated the playpen as a bay, I used to put his 3 year sister in it instead, so she could get some peace from him!

Lyndylou Mon 20-Jul-20 18:10:55

Baby, he was quite a few things beginning with "b" but never a bay.

V3ra Mon 20-Jul-20 18:15:55

Definitely strap him in a high chair to eat.
Find some things it would be safe for him to throw, eg bean bags. Some children just "have" to throw at this age, it's not being naughty.
Get him outdoors as much as weather permits. Blow bubbles for him to chase.
Take him to soft play when and if they reopen.
Small children often act up if they think your attention is elsewhere so for the two days you have him, try not to worry about doing any of your chores. They'll wait.

Another option would be if you could look after him at his own house? Presumably it'll be more child-friendly than yours and he might not get so over-excited in his familiar surroundings.
They are hard work at this age for sure. Good luck.

SueDonim Mon 20-Jul-20 18:18:22

I think others have covered just about everything that could be useful (I used to do the ironing inside the playpen - back when I did ironing, of course! grin). I’m wondering, though, whether it might be easier for you to look after your GS in his own home? He’d be on familiar territory and your own house wouldn’t be bearing the brunt of the mess.

Btw, I think it’s unfair for anyone to say you’re prioritising your carpet over your GS. Carpets may be something people have saved long and hard for and it’s understandable that they should be looked after.

Madgran77 Mon 20-Jul-20 18:19:59

Sounds a fairly typical 15 month old to me. And also bored!! I think you need a clear idea of what is going to be out for him to play with each week.

Start with an item, play with him, create a fun thing out of whatever you are doing. Then a busier running around activity ….eg. lots of plastic/ping pong balls in one box; another box across room; throwing each ball to get in other box. Do it with him. Show him. let him sit in the box of balls etc etc

Then a sit down ..jigsaw maybe, simple pick up wooden ones, large ones etc

Then TV for 15-20 mins while you have a rest ..cartoons that will catch his eye

Then a walk maybe ...has het got one of those small sit on riders that he can push himself along on. Ok in a garden, round the house of on a pavement with you next to him on outside so no danger with road ...and so on.

...So ...He needs a planned day

And a high chair is important, plus only given small items of food at a time. Make it a rule that food/drink is in high chair ...and put a plastic cloth underneath to catch any mess. If he crumbles up Quavers just say all gone! he will understand the consequence pretty quick but you will probably have to put up with some crying. Give him a cuddle, say "All gone" again...and distract with something else. Reintroduce the Quavers an hour or so later

Overall, only you can decide the routine that YOU want to have and then you have to create it. Children feel safe with routines. Good luck flowers

Soupy Mon 20-Jul-20 18:24:52

I look after my 19 month old grandson once a week in his own home and it can get very tiring!
We always go out for a daily walk in the buggy and recently I've been letting him walk on the footpaths/grass areas when safe to do so.
He loves putting things in and out of boxes, opening and closing doors so I save empty boxes for him. We build towers, try to do simple jigsaws and play with bowls of water in the garden when sunny. He also drops his cup on the floor when finished and gets told No but it's early days yet.
Some of the suggestions here are more suitable for older toddlers; I can't see us doing cooking or cutting out yet!

He loved rhyme time at the local Library pre Covid so we sing some songs and try to do the actions. Same songs that his mother learnt!

Hope the parents are on the same page as you and hope it gets better as he gets older.

Scentia Mon 20-Jul-20 18:28:54

Oh my, he sounds like a very normal 15 month old. As he is so young you are wasting your time trying to tell him how you want him to behave. If you are looking after him he needs to be your only distraction. No TV for you, no cleaning until he has gone and ENGAGE ENGAGE ENGAGE that is how you look after a toddler. And as for shouting and a naughty step, if they worked we wouldn’t still have to be doing it when they are 5 now would we. If you agree to babysit then babysit is what you should do, don’t give him the chance to destroy things, he is bored and just 1 day a week eating rubbish is ok, but ask his parents what they want you to give him to eat, it is up to them at the end of the day, and if they want him to have rubbish then so be it. Don’t cause him distress over food for goodness sake it really isn’t worth it, if he won’t eat what he is supposed to then he goes without for that meal, he won’t starve and will soon eat what you put in front of him if he realises he is getting nothing else. Ditch the juice and give him water that won’t matter if he tops it in the floor, if he does that in purpose, take it away say, “we don’t need to do that Johnny” and tip it down the sink until snack time when he gets another cup of water.

Oopsminty Mon 20-Jul-20 18:32:16

My youngest grandson was a bit like this

We used to go for a walk. For hours. I would pound the pavements. He'd be quiet in his pushchair.

I would point things out to him and that worked a treat

Rain or shine I'd be out

Of course if you're not as mobile it can be much harder

I know that not everyone wants to spend 4 hours walking round the area

He also used to like MTV. I know. Bit odd but he liked the music and would dance

No naughty step! Dreadful idea.

And, as many have said, he's growing all the time and before you know it he'll be 11 and wanting to play Fortnite with you!

Good luck!

MarchMom19 Mon 20-Jul-20 18:34:31

My son is the same age and does a lot of the things you’ve described. It comes with this age! And probably a boy thing. My friends with daughters say they aren’t nearly this active or destructive.

First, don’t let him have an open cup. We only use sippy cups. My son likes the kind with the straw. CamelBack kids straw cups are great!

My son throws his food also. Get a dog ? they’re great at cleaning the mess. All joking aside, that’s normal. Does he at least eat some of it? Mine can be a little picky but eats what I serve him usually. But I started that young.

Baby proofing will really help you. Once my first floor was totally “safe” I felt a lot less on edge and anxious knowing he couldn’t really destroy much. I shut all of the doors to the bedrooms, baby gated the stairs, locked the kitchen cabinets. I don’t have any knick knacks around. But occasionally he will push the dining room chairs around the house. That’s fine. He also does run everywhere and sometimes falls and gets hurt- that’s life for a toddler though!

Grannynannywanny Mon 20-Jul-20 18:45:28

I’ve heard many parents/gparents say boys are harder work than little girls. I wonder if there’s any truth in it.

When my granddaughter was 12-15 months old she would sit in the middle of the floor with a bundle of picture books and spend an hour unaided working her way through them.

Fast forward 2 years and her baby brother at that age would take the bundle of books and stack them up to stand on them to stretch to something that was out of reach!

Willow73 Mon 20-Jul-20 18:47:34

It sounds so familiar. I used to enjoy taking my 2 grandsons out for a walk when they started to get bored, but now the pushchair has been pushed aside and they refuse to go in it. They run and run and won't come back even for their parents so how can I take them out for a walk?
I don't know how to have a lovely time with them anymore its just taxing, tiring and frustrating. HELP.

Scentia Mon 20-Jul-20 19:03:28

Willow73
Reins. Simple