Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Babysitting a 15 month old boy driving me to distraction please help!

(211 Posts)
Cher69 Mon 20-Jul-20 10:38:06

Hi everyone I do hope someone can give me some advice because I am at a loss here. I brought up 3 girls who are now in their late 20s and coped pretty well. But now I am in my 50s and have fibromyalgia and copd so basically I get tired very quickly. However I babysit my little grandson who is 15 months old and I love him dearly but I am finding it hard to cope with him. Ok here goes first of all the stuff I dont know what to do about and trust me I have tried everything I know about parenting but nothing seems to work with him.He is constantly on the go. He literally runs everywhere so ends up running into things and then next thing he is on the floor uncontrollably crying. He throws all his food on the floor. He doesn't seem to like anything except for quavers and chips and the odd strawberry or ice lolly. He will throw toys across the room. Pour juice on the carpet on purpose and think it's funny and laugh. Crumble up his quavers and stand on them. He goes round the house searching for things he shouldn't have then trashing them. I have tried the usual things like explaining to him that he shouldn't do it and why. But he doesnt listen just ignores me and carry on. I have said to him " no thankyou" and " that's really naughty" but still Carrys on and laughs at me. The only thing that seems to work is if I raise my voice. But I dont want to have to keep shouting because then he crys and comes to me for a hug and comfort. Then I feel awful. I can not remember it being this hard when I brought up my girls.He seems to have no fear either he climbs up everything. I have tried to get him to engage in play with me like books and storys. Playing games with him but he just throws everything. I am just at a loss and dread him coming round even though I love him to pieces hes driving me insane. Please help thankyou. Sorry my message is so long?

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 22-Jul-20 12:41:11

I like that, Furret! My suggestion for all it's woth, can you take him to the local swing park to wear him out?

Cher69 Wed 22-Jul-20 13:53:15

We go to the park everyday to feed the birds he loves it and has pigeons feeding out of his hand. He feeds the squirrels peanuts and they come very close to nearly got them eating from his hand. He loves animals. We go shopping and he chooses the wild bird feed. We dont give them bread it's bad for them something I only just discovered. We have a tree outside the bedroom window with three different types of feeder for different types of birds. We also play in the garden lots when we can. I live in a flat so it's a communal garden so cant have as many playthings as I would like but I do try x

Callistemon Wed 22-Jul-20 14:13:34

I hope we've helped.

I was going to be Mary Poppins with my own children- until had them! And, although I was an older Mum, I had more energy in those days.
I looked after my DGD just a couple of days a week and yes, I was tiring although therapy were very good girls.

Babies do change and develop very quickly and 3 months is a long enough time for a baby to change into a very energetic toddler.
I expect it's been difficult for your DD and SIL to work at home as well as give him enough attention so he's got used to roaring around pleasing himself.
I hope everything settles down now he will be getting more attention from you and from nursery.

Remember - you're the adult! A firm 'No' helps him to learn; he doesn't know yet what is acceptable and what isn't.

Good luck.

Callistemon Wed 22-Jul-20 14:14:05

Sorry for typos, I should have checked.

Callistemon Wed 22-Jul-20 14:16:20

therapy??

No, they were

Autocorrect rules.

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 22-Jul-20 16:06:00

@Hetty58 I would never be one to gender stereotype either with my daughters or grandsons. That said the impact of hormones can not be ignored or indeed the wider sexism that still is apparent in wider society, for all genders,although things are changing. @Daddima rather bemused by your comment. !

welbeck Wed 22-Jul-20 16:28:17

be careful of giving him peanuts for the squirrels, unless the nuts are still in their capsule shells, with a nut at each end inside.
if they are naked nuts, esp peanuts, he may put them in his own mouth. they are a choking hazard for under 36 mths, also uncut grapes.

Newatthis Wed 22-Jul-20 16:46:34

WOW - Seems like he has been allowed to get away with this behaviour and not disciplined (and I told mean shouting at him because you have said this doesn't work) long before you took over baby sitting responsibility. It could be that he is missing his mum and dad. My mum always use to say - if you let someone get away with something they will! We would all behave badly if we were allowed because apparently it's human nature. Apparently we all have to have routine and discipline and even though he still is technically a baby, it's never too early to start although rather you than me. Maybe introduce it gradually. Giving him healthy food might be a good idea (Callisamom). There is so many chemicals and additives in food that it's no wonder some children react which might be what he is doing - reacting to the chemicals.

Daddima Wed 22-Jul-20 18:15:13

Dorsetcupcake61

I do worry about how this is affecting little ones. Many happy times have been spent in soft play and toddler groups where they learn to be sociable and negotiate. Lovely storytelling sessions in the library. The concept of social distancing goes against everything childeren need. Let's just the vaccine is a success and more is found out about any risks to this group. I must admit its helped during this pandemic knowing that grandchilderen are not high risk and their parents are lower risk too.

From page 7 on this thread yesterday at 18.45!

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 22-Jul-20 18:55:04

Ah yes,may have seemed a bit off topic.! I was thinking of all the fun social things that my grandsons used to love before lockdown and they are missing. They are sort of activities that lots of grandparents use to and are a good distraction. Hopefully they will return . There is a lot of research coming through about the psychological impact of lockdown on everyone, including children. Even the youngest pick up on general atmosphere. May or may not be case here but always worth considering alongside other suggestions here including a firm and consistent approach. ?