Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Interfering?

(114 Posts)
BGB31 Thu 24-Sep-20 09:55:17

Briefly....GS (9) has told me he is soon to be allowed to walk to school on his own. About a 25 min walk crossing several roads. He has a mobile phone - old one of Mums.
I think he’s much to young for this and am worrying all the time. BUT don’t know whether to mention to his mum (my DD). Our relationship can be tense. Also I only have DGS side of the story (although it did sound as if they’d talked about it, so don’t think it’s completely made up!).

Should I keep quiet? She’s a good mum and will have thought about pitfalls but as I said, I think he’s too young.

welbeck Sat 26-Sep-20 02:56:04

don't interfere.
it's not your place.
you are not the parent.
don't offer advice unless it is asked for.
if you antagonise your daughter she may go NC/LC.
you have to shew respect for her autonomy as the parent. don't comment on her decisions.
and don't pass your anxieties on to GS. let him grow.

Sallywally1 Sat 26-Sep-20 05:06:54

When mine started walking to school on their own I went through agonies, but I would not have thanked my MIL or my own mother asking if it was safe, unless they were offering to pick them up! (Which they would never have done in a million years). It is worrying, but they all survived and it taught them valuable lessons in staying safe. They are adults now with children of their own and managed to survive! Your grandson will to. My advice? Don’t interfere.

dazz Sat 26-Sep-20 08:14:46

youve been very gracious in response to some NOT very gracious replies BG

Callistemon Sat 26-Sep-20 09:41:27

Chewbacca

To be fair boat, I think the traffic in 1949 was probably a bit different to what it is in 2020. And the world is a different place now, unfortunately.

I remember getting excited when we saw a car coming along our road in about 1950!

yvonnebrown29 Sat 26-Sep-20 19:06:54

We live in Buckinghamshire, my 9 yr old grand daughter goes to the village school, only 5 mins way, and up to year 5 (her year) someone has to be at the gate to collect from school, they are not allowed to leave the playground until they see someone they know to collect the kids.(this is supervised by a teacher)
This is a lovely peaceful little village - so yes there are still schools that do this

Seakay Sat 26-Sep-20 22:58:21

Yes you should keep quiet, it's nothing to do with you; it doesn't matter what your relationship with DD is, it's still nothing to do with you. (As an incentive beyond the obvious, if you do interfere your tense relationship may well disintegrate and in addition your grandchild will learn not to trust you)

Callistemon Sat 26-Sep-20 22:59:14

That's because you live in an odd place, like me, yvonnebrown
grin

I can remember the same routine when DD1 was at primary school but when we moved to London they just let the children out on their own.
Obviously London is a much safer place to live than the countryside.

NannyG123 Sun 27-Sep-20 11:25:25

I first started letting my children walk home from school on their own when they got into year 6. Then as they grew more confident letting them walk to school alone.

Grandmabatty Sun 27-Sep-20 11:34:23

The world has changed so much since I was little and at school. I walked to school and back from the age of 5. There was a lollipop lady to see us safely across the road but nobody thought anything of it. We walked in a group, all mixed ages. When my children were small, they went to a childminder who lived near the school and only had one road to cross. The roads were much quieter then though.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sun 27-Sep-20 13:20:13

I walked to school (a good 20 mins +) when I was 6!! I had roads to cross and alleys to walk down and no mobile phones. There will probably be other children and families walking the same way and he may arrange to meet and walk with a friend. It's not your call you'll have to trust him and your dd on this one.

annodomini Sun 27-Sep-20 13:55:36

I walked to school from the age of 5 until I was allowed to cycle there when I was 11. Initially, a teenage cousin kept an eye on me but there were also many other children walking to the same school at the same time. One huge drawback to the insistence that children have to be met from primary schools is the parking problem. These schools are, more often than not in the heart of a residential district and parking causes great annoyance and inconvenience to residents and delivery drivers. When my two youngest GSs were at primary school, my DiL walked to meet them in the school playground. When she had to work, they went to an after-school club or were met by a friend. Now in senior school, they cycle there and back.

LJP1 Sun 27-Sep-20 15:09:21

I used to walk to the bus or train (my choiced daily) and then to school from aged 7, not always with a friend.

It teaches independence and self reliiance.

Good luck to him.

Shropshirelass Mon 28-Sep-20 09:09:12

In the words of my Great Grandmother. A still tongue makes a wise head. There will probably be other children walking at the same time, peer pressure means having your Mom walk with you isn't cool! He sounds as though he is a sensible boy, just see how he gets on.