Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Husband problem with grandchild

(95 Posts)
Notjustaprettyface Fri 16-Oct-20 15:19:29

I love my grandson who is just over 1 year old and I look after him one day a week to help my daughter out as she also has a newborn baby now
When my grandson comes to our house , I try and do activities , I don’t stay in all day but still my husband who is the grandfather seems to resent his grandson being here
Our grandson is lively and tries to touch things he shouldn’t but I do watch him and control him
I am very hurt by my husbands attitude , at best he ignores the child , at worst he shouts at me mainly if he does something a bit silly
I don’t know what to do , I have talked to him, I have threatened to leave , nothing seems to work
It’s also embarrassing to tell our daughter that her dad is not interested in her child
Please help , I need advice
Thank you

ExaltedWombat Sat 17-Oct-20 17:03:58

Do your (grand-)maternal instincts trump his right to a peaceful life in an un-damaged home? Yes, OK, they probably do! There's no arguing with (grand-)maternal instincts.

But don't expect enthusiasm or participation. Keep the child contained. It's his life too.

beverly10 Sat 17-Oct-20 17:05:53

Applegran
The only one to say SORRY is the grandfather of this small child.Sorry that he is acting like a child himself by what appears is a needy person who cannot bear to see his wife giving his grandchild what he himself feels should be his.

chris8888 Sat 17-Oct-20 17:07:28

Sounds like he wants you all to himself and doesn`t want to share you. That is so sad and maybe it is him who should go out, go into another room, find a hobby, volunteer that day somewhere etc. Don`t be bullied into upsetting your daughter or yourself just tell him this is your home too. I do feel for you though as you must feel that he is spoiling your closeness to your grandchild.

MissAdventure Sat 17-Oct-20 17:17:14

Some people find small children very stressful.
It is allowed.
I suppose there are myriad of other factors, too.

Dinahmo Sat 17-Oct-20 17:25:19

It sounds as though your home isn't child proof so perhaps that's something that you and/or your OH could see to, especially as there's another on the way.

Sawsage2 Sat 17-Oct-20 18:28:07

I'd tell him to get stuffed, grow up and stop being jealous.

Summerlove Sat 17-Oct-20 18:28:59

Was your husband consulted and listened to when you chose to take this on?

There are so many negative thoughts about your husband on this thread, and I’m wondering if some of them aren’t unfair.

It’s not a crime (nor selfish) to not want have a small child at your house weekly! Small children are exhausting!

Joyfulnanna Sat 17-Oct-20 20:14:55

Jealousy is a damaging trait and is spoiling your nice times with your GC. Do you own your home jointly? Would you dare to ask him to go out when you've got your GC? The thing is, the baby will pick up on the tension, at least tell him this if you can't do anything else.

FunOma Sat 17-Oct-20 21:38:55

Your husband likely was very much ignored as a child and simply does not know what to do with or around kids. My husband loves his grandkids, but also can be easily irritated with them when they cross his path. He stays out of sight mostly though, so I can enjoy the kids that way without worrying about my husband's attitude. He did not have the best childhood; it is more common than you think that kids are neglected by parents and so they have no good example of being good parents or grand-parents themselves.
Enjoy your grandson as much as you can. They grow up so fast! Your husband is missing out on a lot, but....he is who he is. just ignore him and his attitude and steer clear of him when the grandchild is around.

Hetty58 Sat 17-Oct-20 21:45:34

Notjustaprettyface, it really sounds like your husband is jealous (how pathetic).

Has he been spoilt and become accustomed to having his own way?

I'd insist that he behaves - and/or makes himself scarce on the day your grandson is with you. He could go out, do the garden - or occupy the garage or shed.

Put your foot down firmly asap!

Aneweye Sat 17-Oct-20 21:57:01

In a world where your both happy, what does he need to do and be? And for him to feel the Danes, what do you need to be. No one has to be unhappy, but try and see if you can find it together. Honesty is the best policy, be true to yourself. If it works for you both, perfect, if that only works for you. Then do be it.
Once you’re clear in your own head what you need, then you can. If you can’t talk to him openly and truthfully where does that leave you really

Aneweye Sat 17-Oct-20 21:58:21

Excuse the many typos sorry

moonbeames Sun 18-Oct-20 06:21:21

It sounds like he is running true to form. He is impatient with little ones, especially with his hip trying to recover. I would just accept that he is like that and get on with absorbing the joy of that little one each week. Go into a different room away from him. Or somewhere else that you can think of away from him. Enjoy the precious time you have with him, he will grow up soon enough. Blow your husband. No use explaining anything to him, just enjoy yourself.

sandybishop Sun 18-Oct-20 09:45:32

I guess when you're children were your grandsons age he was at work most of the time so wasn't just sitting around doing nothing, men are selfish and usually want to do as little as possible and have you mothering him not another child, that's just the way they are, have you tried getting all of you doing something, finger painting or going to the park, get grumpy gramp to push him on the swings or something, do whatever to try and get them to bond.

NotSpaghetti Sun 18-Oct-20 09:46:33

NotSpaghetti

Hello,
Was the child minding discussed properly with your husband before it happened?

If so, did you say "don't worry, I'll look after him" or similar?

Still think this is a relevant question, Notjustaprettyface. Sometimes we want to believe things can be worked out or we can change people - when in our hearts we know we can’t.

EmilyHarburn Sun 18-Oct-20 12:34:16

Enjoy your grandson. Playing in a different room is just sensible. No toys to fall over and no noise and distraction. Your husband can get on and do his thing - read the news paper, watch TV etc. his generation did not expect to help care for babies and were on the whole only ready as others have said, to take part when the child is able to talk and respond socially. In our household the ability to hold and hammer and bang in a nail was the start of a good father son relationship.

JacquiG Sun 18-Oct-20 15:52:36

Grandads can have great influence on their grandchildren, and making the effort brings huge rewards as the children grow. We had our two grandsons from 1 year old to school time, for 3 days a week while Mum worked. They were such a joy. Lots of reading, lots of games and learning through play. Now 13 and 16 they have been fluent readers for years, and are well brought up young men.

Of course, much of this is down to parents, but they are turning out to be nice people, and we have played our part in that.

They are pleased to see us when we visit (not lately though), and very spontaneous with the hugs. Yes, even the 16 year old!

Perhaps tell your husband he could be a role model, and help bring your grandchild on, be a positive influence in his life?

And if he can't, you can, and you will reap the later rewards.

Good luck. Lots of positive stuff in other posts.

Margs Mon 19-Oct-20 10:35:42

Oops! Sounds like he regards anything to do with children as "womens work!", ie: beneath his superiority.

You have my genuine and sincere sympathies.

Notjustaprettyface Thu 22-Oct-20 17:31:01

Thanks to everybody for your thoughts , advice etc...
I am sorry I can’t reply individually to each of you as there are so many comments
I will take these as words of wisdom though and keep acting accordingly
Thanks again