Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Sorry another MIL question

(40 Posts)
Nonogran Sun 08-Nov-20 10:43:24

Look in the mirror each morning and practice saying "NO" out loud, or anything else you'd like to say to her. Say it loud and clear. Might seem mad but it'll get you used to the sound of your own voice being strong and assertive.
Meanwhile, as others have said, your husband needs to support you to a level you both agree upon and will help to empower you.
Your home is your castle. There is no rule book which says you have to open your door to anyone. If only more people would understand this. I don't answer my door to strangers, ever. Sometimes I call to them from a window if I don't know them, but often, just ignore the knock. You can too, MIL or not. You can always say you were in the bathroom or out the back hanging the washing! Don't give her a key!
Build your relationships with other in-law family members. Get closer to them. She'll hopefully soon get the message that she's not part of the gang. Keep her at arm's length as much as you can while u build your confidence. .... Chin up. Be strong. Big hug.

sodapop Sun 08-Nov-20 09:01:38

Seems to me that you have done more than enough to try and maintain a good relationship with your mother in law annebo. Maybe the time has come to say no more.
If your husband wants to visit her and take the children that's fine but you don't have to put up with this behaviour from her.
You need to tell your husband you are not prepared to keep going through this and let him sort it out with his mother. I agree with OceanMama no grandparents are better than toxic ones.

Hithere Sun 08-Nov-20 01:02:27

Stand up for you and your kids. Learn to say no

I hope your husband is on your side

welbeck Sun 08-Nov-20 00:42:11

your premise is wrong, ie that you have to appease her and make the children go see her.
why would you make your children suffer. they obviously don't want to see her. and she sounds very arrogant to be so dangerous in looking after them.
don't subject them to any more of that. just because they are older does not necessarily mean they are safer with her. and what will they think of you, it could damage your relationship with them. they look to you for comfort and protection, and example.
why expose them, or yourself to a bully.
don't let her in. maybe see her in the park for a coffee but only if your have reinforcements, your husband or another supportive friend with you.
don't waste your energy on negative people.
no wonder you need ADs.

annebo Sat 07-Nov-20 23:53:24

Will post detail tomorrow

annebo Sat 07-Nov-20 23:52:45

Thank you!

OceanMama Sat 07-Nov-20 21:58:09

Why are you so focused on pleasing her and making your children have a relationship with her? She is not kind to you, or your mother, and it looks like your children do not like her company.

I, too, never had grandparents in my life and felt I missed out. No grandparents are better than toxic ones. My mother tried to get us a substitute family member and I, to this day, remember how awful that person was and still feel that she allowed me to be bullied by her. Your job is to protect your children. What do your children say about their grandmother? The actions you have reported here suggest that they don't want to be with her. Is it upsetting for them?

I have been where you are with a demanding MIL who I wanted a relationship with but who I could never be good enough for. The only long term regret I have is that I did try so hard. It was actually inappropriate for me to be trying so hard too, this issue belonged to my husband to resolve, not me. Where is your husband in this? What does he say and do?

My advice, based on experience, is to tell your MIL that drop in visits don't work for you anymore. Don't answer the door if you need to do that. Yes, that will be hard, but she's not going to get the message any other way. You don't deserve that treatment and neither do your children. Why would your MIL change how she treats you? She gets what she wants and gets to do what she wants without any consequence. Instead you want to placate her because of what you think is the right thing so she gets rewarded. You are worth more than that and deserve to be treated well.

You don't have cut her out, if you really don't want to, but you can take a break from seeing her or see her out for dinner or at a park on less frequent occasions. If she then realises that there are consequences to the way she is treating you and decides to change her ways, you can slowly try seeing her more again, if you want to.

It took me over ten years to get to the point where I'd had enough and decided to let DH deal with his mother. I don't recommend being like me.

B9exchange Sat 07-Nov-20 21:48:45

You poor soul, she had really got to you. What is your DH's take on all this, I hope he is fully supportive of you? If not you need to enlist his aid so you are both taking the same firm approach with her.

You have tried so hard, I think you need to decide what you can cope with as a family, and tell her together that that will be the way forward from now on. Explain that you would like the grandchildren to have a good relationship with her, but that her behaviour is jeopardising this.

If you need it, do consider some counselling to be more assertive in dealing with her. You have no reason to be afraid of her, but I do know where you are coming from. My MiL used to tell me I was a terrible mother, when my DH was out of the room!

Sparkling Sat 07-Nov-20 21:46:38

She is surely the mil from hell. I would not let her just turn up everyday as she wants, say you’ve made plans, going out anything, but break that habit. When she starts being awful, I do t know what form that takes, but I would confront her, if she really dislikes you and says so, ask her please just to arrange with her son for you to meet up, as you can’t take any more you have tried but won’t put up with her treating you like that in your own home. To be honest I fail to see how you have just taken it all, what is the point , she isn’t just going to start liking you now so you have nothing to lose but a lot to gain. She is rude, lacks any empathy, obviously she has all the answers so you won’t change her.
I think a lot of lovely Mils have a hard time, but you haven’t one of those. She is a foolish woman.

Dinahmo Sat 07-Nov-20 21:44:16

Please don't feel bad about yourself. Feel sorry for her, if that's possible. (it might make you feel a bit better). You haven't mentioned your DH but I assume that he is supporting you. If not, why not? You are his wife and the mother of his children and should be more important than his mother.

I remember when my grandmother was widowed (my father was an only child) and my mother was in poor health. My father was contemplating moving so that my GM could live with my parents. Their GP told my father that he had to chose between his wife and his mother and so he did.

Lolo81 Sat 07-Nov-20 21:40:14

You don’t have to estrange from her, but you also don’t have to give her unlimited access to your life. When she drops by don’t let her in - maybe don’t answer the door every time.

Jaxjacky Sat 07-Nov-20 21:39:45

And how is your husband supporting you?

phoenix Sat 07-Nov-20 21:38:52

annebo she does sound pretty awful, but the first thing you need to do (imo) is get your husband completely on board and supporting you and the decisions you both make (ie you and husband/partner) and presenting a solid united front.

Good luck.

annebo Sat 07-Nov-20 21:27:01

Apologies for length goodness me!

annebo Sat 07-Nov-20 21:26:37

Hi everyone

I am very much struggling to get along with my MIL to the point that I think our relationship is pretty much breaking down. It is particularly difficult for us as we live on the same road and there is no hope of us ever moving. So I basically want to try and have some civil relationship at the very least. I also desparately want my children to have a relationship with their grandma as I barely knew my own and feel its is something I missed out on as a child.

It seems to me that she has taken against me since we got engaged, no congratulations, wouldn't discuss wedding plans, booked a holiday knowing it was our wedding date. She eventually told DH that she thought we were too young (26) to marry and wanted us to wait until we were in our 30s. We both decided that we really wanted to get married and went ahead, she turned up in black and didn't speak to me for the entire day (except to tell me I "looked about 12).

Things didn't get much better but I hoped that she would eventually except me. Obviously I don't know for sure, but her reaction to all her children getting married was fairly hostile and I often wondered if she has abandonment issues (??). So I foolishly agreed to buy our first home nearby so Dh can spend time with her and made it clear she can visit whenever she liked.

This was somewhat niave on my part and things went from bad to worse as she would literally turn up and criticise everything and trying and micro manage our lives. I bit my tongue but started to feel resentful and somewhat hurt by her constant disapproval. She could also be mischievous; If my husband was away she would turn up and hint that he is probably having an affair "they all do when they work away".

When the babies were born she want from being difficult to being a real nightmare. Very controlling and wanting be to ignore midwives/hv advice, telling me not to BF, wanting to choose names, hating my name choices, telling me I didn't know what I was doing every time I saw her. She blamed me for absolutely everything. When DD caught a cold it was because I wasn't keeping her warm enough. None of my baby equipment met her standards - all wrong. She then wanted me to go back to work so she can give full time care to my DD. She had began telling other people this without discussing it with me.

She would be very hostile to my lovely mother and began criticising her baby skills often her leaving in tears. She brushed this off as 'hurting too easily'. We tried to compromise by saying she could have DD for one day a week which seemed to make her happy. Heres the problem....she was dangerously bad with her. E.g giving her marbles to play with when she was 8 months old. Leaving her alone in a different room when she was crawling around whilst she baked in the kitchen. Forgetting to give her milk even though she was crying. Final straw was when she strapped in a pushchair wrapped up in coat and blankets and left her by the radiator. When we picked her up she was just ignoring her crying obviously far too hot. I refused to leave her alone with her.

I visited a few times a week but would stay with DD. This enraged MIL who naturally knew that I didn't trust her and so she began lashing out at me over every tiny thing. I couldn't cope, so DH would take her around at the weekend for supervised visits. This worked well for a short time.

Problem is now DD and DS are older and neither like to visit and want to go home very quickly. So MIL has started turning up at our house again. Obviously I let her in but she is just so awful to me as she seems to be still holding a grudge. I literally shake when she is here. I have asked her to come when DH is here but she rarely does. I have come to the conclusion that she scares me and I naturally feel nervous her being around my children even supervised even though there is very little harm she can do.

I made the mistake of confiding in her that I have been prescibed AD for anxiety and that I can't always cope with unannounced visits. No sympathy. She is now telling everyone in the family I am unstable.

I want to move but honestly we cannot afford to do this anytime soon as we are trying to renovate (another story).

Please gransnetters help me to cope better with her without confrontation and without cutting her out of our lives (which is the advice I keep getting but am reluctant to do). If possible help me see things from her POV because I am stumped. She also has difficult relationships with other ILs but she is particularly hostile to me I suspect because I am nearest.

Thank you xx