Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Moving nearer children/grandchildr en

(93 Posts)
marymary62 Sun 03-Jan-21 11:49:45

A frequent discussion! We are retired mid 60’s both fit and healthy living in beautiful Northumberland in a lovely house we renovated to our own standards 12 years ago. We love it here, great community etc. There is a lot to miss but in non covid times we spend a lot of time away sailing or camper vanning and the rest of the time travelling a 6 hour round trip to see our dd’s and gd and gs (1 each - aged 1 and 3) who handily live in the same town! They are there to stay ( as far as one can tell) with stable relationships, jobs, houses etc. We love seeing them and miss them dreadfully when we don’t . We have talked constantly about moving nearer and I don’t know why it is proving so hard to make the leap! Strangely we have both said that without the other we would go immediately. I am finding it hard to know what is stopping us - fear of the unknown ? Who has been in this situation and how difficult has it been for you?

Gingster Mon 04-Jan-21 08:37:37

Home is where your heart is MM. We have often thought of moving permanently to our holiday home on the Suffolk coast. We love it and the beach is literally on our doorstep. It’s in a AONB. We spent the first lockdown there for 10 weeks but by that time , we knew for certain that we wanted to be back in the bosom of our family, and long time friends. We are lucky to be able to go there often but it’s so lovely to come back ‘home’.

sodapop Mon 04-Jan-21 08:56:53

Don't make the proximity to family the only reason to move Marymary things do change as Harrigran said. If you will be happier in the new location, better house, closer to facilities etc then that's good. Sounds like you have made the decision though.

honeyrose Mon 04-Jan-21 09:38:59

Marymary62. Sounds like quite a dilemma! It does sound as if you live in a beautiful part of the country I have to say, but that the family are obviously not near by. On balance, I think I would go for it - a move. I would do lots of research of the area though so that you have community, facilities, good transport links near you. Very important as you get older. I wouldn’t leave it too late to make the move, but don’t rush into it either by moving into a house/village you’re not happy with. Easier said than done, I know. DH and I live in the next village to DD, SIL and GC. we certainly don’t live in each other’s pockets, but provide childcare at least once a week, although less now with the pandemic. We adore seeing the GC grow up and would miss out on that if further away. We realise that they may move to another area, but they seem settled and don’t have the sort of jobs that would take them into another county anyway. Very best of luck with your decision, but if you’re going to make the move, do it before you really need to and whilst you’re still reasonably fit and active. Very best wishes.

marymary62 Mon 04-Jan-21 09:45:08

Soda pop - it would be the only reason to move ! Nothing there is better than here - although there are lovely areas it is more expensive - but I am feeling a little pressured by my daughters who obviously think it would be a good thing! I love them so much and have always found it hard to put my needs first. I also know that I will want to be nearer them as I get older . I do think they are there to stay, but who really knows.

Luckygirl Mon 04-Jan-21 09:47:07

I would prioritise your view - you cannot take it with you; and if you become less mobile (as we all will) you can feed your soul on the view to make up for lots of physical losses.

marymary62 Mon 04-Jan-21 09:48:32

Thanks honey rose , it sounds like you have a good balance. I missed having my parents and in laws around when my kids were growing up, and it was hard when mum was older to travel to see her. I hate being so pathetic about making the decision as one day I am sure and the next not ! Pandemic doesn’t help as we can’t do anything until it is over ! Thankyou for your suppprt

marymary62 Mon 04-Jan-21 09:50:03

Yes Gingster that is true! A lovely view doesn’t make up for a cuddle with family! Not that we are getting much of that at present .....

Genty Mon 04-Jan-21 10:00:35

marymary62

Soda pop - it would be the only reason to move ! Nothing there is better than here - although there are lovely areas it is more expensive - but I am feeling a little pressured by my daughters who obviously think it would be a good thing! I love them so much and have always found it hard to put my needs first. I also know that I will want to be nearer them as I get older . I do think they are there to stay, but who really knows.

Circumstances change in our childrens lives, its impossible to know if they will stay where they are for the rest of their lives. All my immediate family all lived in the same village and said they would never move out of the village. Theyve all now moved out of the village, reasons being downsizing, work related, university. Now they are scattered all over the uk. Ive always supported them in them decisions as its their lives to live not mine.

TerryM Mon 04-Jan-21 10:14:19

We are less than an hour to our only child. He has often said if one of us passes the other needs to move over to their side of the harbour .
The thing is we have a medical and suchlike infrastructure here at our doorstep.
Our public transport is amazing and we could no longer drive that would be very important . Son does get a bit cranky when we laugh it off (nicely) husband has a few friends in the city which is about a 25 min bus trip. I have two best friends one suburb over . Nope who knows what son and his family may do as time goes on.

polnan Mon 04-Jan-21 10:21:35

I can only recount my experience,
dh and I moved several, not a lot, of times during our married life.
we moved from Oxfordshire. to North Yorkshire whilst I was still working fulltime and could pay the bills. (no problem as far as we both were concerned) dh`s health started to deteriorate, I guess I was about 55 ?

then getting to 60, back then,, retirement age looming, dh`s health not getting any better, first grandson born, and I knew I could not stay so far away from them,
we couldn`t do "weekend" visits, not great travellers too far there and back, and of course getting older.

I just knew I wanted to be near gks.. (not a particularly maternal type)

so we moved, I retired a little earlier than hoped for.

left lovely part of the country, lovely home, lovely friends

now been here, Swindon, just over 20 years,

don`t really regret it.. been with 4 gks ,, growing up.
dh died, I am alone for the first time ever in my life.. (not easy for me) got some friends here, but....

gks making their own lives.. despite the lockups..

but do I regret it? not really, still miss previous life, and beautiful Yorkshire... but if I was there, without my husband, I don`t think it would be ...

well don`t regret it,, miss it , of course,, but I knew, really knew that I wanted to be near to my gks growing up.

BigBertha1 Mon 04-Jan-21 10:21:46

Marymary62 we have juts made the leap to be nearer our daughter and GS and i wish we had done it sooner as GS is 16 now so not many more years before he flies the coop and it looks like he will be travelling a lot when he gets going. at the moment of course we cant seem at all but we are nearer and as soon as we can we will have a lot of involvement. I would get on and do it we wasted precious time debating and discussing and the moving process took over a year but that's another story.

JdotJ Mon 04-Jan-21 10:22:46

Mary Mary 62, everything you write strikes a chord with me as I'm in exactly the same situation as you.
Seven years ago, due to job relocation, our DD moved 240 miles away with her husband, with whom she has since split but has school sge twins. They both have new partners who are locals which will keep them in the area they are in.
Our DS then met a lovely girl who was a student in our area and 3 years ago they moved 180 miles, back to her hometown.
I'm really pleased they are all settled but this lockdown has certainly struck home how important I think it is to be near family. DH and I have no family at all in our area now and while i would move in a heartbeat to be near DD and grandchildren (also would be much nearer to DS) my DH is very reluctant as his beloved golf club is just across the road from our house!
We have decided that, when we are again able to travel we will rent a house for a month where DD lives and give that a try first although DH has said he 'might pop back home' mid stay to play golf!

Nanola Mon 04-Jan-21 10:26:23

We have just moved from our beautiful home in the Scottish Highlands to be near to our grandchildren who all live in Kent.
It has not been an easy journey, we were guzumpted on the way and are consequently living in a damp, cramped rental property in Kent and not able to see anyone because of Covid.
We also are in our sixties and were enjoying life in Scotland. It was hard to come to the decision to leave but, on balance, we decided that family had the edge over beautiful scenery and a stunning home.
In our present situation we are wishing that we had held off for a year or two but we do realise that at some stage at least one of us would move down south.
Lists of pros and cons don’t work for me, I had to look deep to think about where I could be of the most use and came to the conclusion that was in Kent to help out with grandchildren.

Aepgirl Mon 04-Jan-21 10:27:50

I think that the fact that you are asking this question means that you want us to say ‘yes’. You can still go caravanning, etc, wherever you live, and mid-60s is young enough to adapt and make a new home.

Humbertbear Mon 04-Jan-21 10:28:50

My grandmother decided to stay in Manchester when my mother married and moved to London. It was fine for many years, until she gave up using the train and then gradually needed more help and support. My own children thought it was normal to spend a day once a month travelling to Manchester by train but it was difficult to really look after her. Can you talk this over with your offspring? I think the idea of renting and trying out the area is a good one.

Jeannie59 Mon 04-Jan-21 10:30:16

I would love to live nearer my DD's and Dgc, but they live In the US and Oz. My husband is 80 and I am 65, I would willingly pack up and go and love in OZ, but he wouldn't now

Jcee Mon 04-Jan-21 10:33:32

We live about a 15 minute drive from our daughter. We help her out with the little ones whenever we can and decided would move nearer to help more and for other reasons like a quieter garden as the one we have now is on a noisy road. We have sold our house and found a house we will need to do up but it is nearer to my daughter. We are a little scared but a lot excited. We are in our mid sixties and I know some people think we are mad but it's beginning to feel the right thing to do. I hope you make the right decision for you.

grandMattie Mon 04-Jan-21 10:34:34

We have already downsized to a smaller house. We decided to stay in the same area as we never know where our children will go to next.
DH has told me that when one of us dies, the other sells the house and rents somewhere not too far from an offspring. That way, one is independent and not too far when one becomes a bit physically needy. All the repairs and stuff for a flat then are the responsibility of the landlord.

Tangerine Mon 04-Jan-21 10:35:47

I know the difficulties of looking after elderly people who live a long way away from me.

Why not do what someone upthread suggested - rent out your house for a few months and rent somewhere near them and see what you think. Yorkshire is great in my view.

If you eventually buy somewhere slightly more urban and they move away, you will still be in a better and easier position. Also, Sheffield area is slightly more central within the UK.

I think there are advantages and disadvantages. This is the case with many things in life.

MargaretinNorthant Mon 04-Jan-21 10:37:07

The only comment I have to make is about"being ready for a bungalow". If you decide to make the move why not to a bungalow Now? It's going to be a lot more stress and hassle and money if you leave it until later. You can still have a camper van if you have a bungalow.....I did and it makes loading up easy when you don't have stairs to go up and down.

Helen2806 Mon 04-Jan-21 10:37:12

We moved to Nottingham to be near our 3 daughters. We are in our sixties, so wanted to move while we were still young and fit enough to make new friends. We moved to a slightly bigger house so that we can host all the family .
In my my husband’s words
Don’t downsize too early, don’t move too late.

debbiemon123 Mon 04-Jan-21 10:42:57

It’s a difficult dilemma but from my experience, move in the next few years . My parents lived 250 miles away and we have always had lots of long journeys to see them , and them us . Which is fine when you are fit and able ..... but time moves on ..... and as they got older ..... much more difficult and stressful. They have now just moved around the corner from us ..... but I fear they have left it too late . They are 89 and 87 .
They should have done it 20 years ago . They say that now they have done it . We have all missed out on so much .

mokryna Mon 04-Jan-21 10:50:13

I think you should ask yourselves, if after the move you would be still happy there if your children had to move for job reasons. As others have suggested rent out for a year to test the water.

NemosMum Mon 04-Jan-21 10:55:36

Psychological research indicates that people have great difficulty in realistically envisaging their lives in 15 years' time. So, try to do just that. In 15 years, your grandchildren will be at the point of going to university. Will your children have stayed in the same place? Will you still be sailing and camper-vanning? What will your health be like? Will you be near good hospitals? As someone who ended up having to move from rural Northumberland, it will tug at your heartstrings! We also sailed, and would not have wanted to be inland. However, due to husband's health (and believe me, it can turn on a sixpence), I realised that we needed not only to be near services, but also, a short walk from doctors, pharmacy, Post Office, shops, public transport. It was a traumatic move. I suppose what I'm saying is, if you're going to make a move, make sure you are future-proofing. Good luck with your decision!

CleoPanda Mon 04-Jan-21 11:13:52

I would say, if you have doubts at the moment, don’t do it!. Don’t be pressurised by others!
Here’s a suggestion - say you really don’t want to consider moving during or just after a pandemic. There are numerous reasons why it would be a bad idea at this time.
Ask your family to stop sending property details.
Relax; forget about moving. Enjoy your current lovely home and location. Make the best of everything you currently have.
In 12 to 18 months times review the situation afresh. How do you feel at this point?
Decisions may become easier as you refocus on what you both need and want.