Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Moving nearer children/grandchildr en

(93 Posts)
marymary62 Sun 03-Jan-21 11:49:45

A frequent discussion! We are retired mid 60’s both fit and healthy living in beautiful Northumberland in a lovely house we renovated to our own standards 12 years ago. We love it here, great community etc. There is a lot to miss but in non covid times we spend a lot of time away sailing or camper vanning and the rest of the time travelling a 6 hour round trip to see our dd’s and gd and gs (1 each - aged 1 and 3) who handily live in the same town! They are there to stay ( as far as one can tell) with stable relationships, jobs, houses etc. We love seeing them and miss them dreadfully when we don’t . We have talked constantly about moving nearer and I don’t know why it is proving so hard to make the leap! Strangely we have both said that without the other we would go immediately. I am finding it hard to know what is stopping us - fear of the unknown ? Who has been in this situation and how difficult has it been for you?

Chardy Mon 04-Jan-21 17:26:35

A former colleague's elderly lone parent was taken ill. She was running herself ragged doing a 160 mile round trip every weekend and once a week after work (as well as caring for her own teenage children and working full-time). She had no siblings nearer.

SylviaPlathssister Mon 04-Jan-21 17:45:18

We had 6 old folks. My Mother and Father, my Step Mother and Father in Law and my Father and Mother in Law. We are down to my 96 year old FIL, the rest are dead.
We lived 250 miles away. Not one of them made any provision for their own age. They all lived in unsuitable houses, and never discussed finances until forced to. We spent years having full time jobs, children and au pairs to see to, plus driving to their houses, washing cooking, gardening and eventually taking over their paperwork. And ....latterly .listening patiently to their stories about people we had never met. It took months sorting out their houses full of belongings that no one wanted. My MIL was 94, Step Mother in Law and Father 96 etc etc. A lot of their money went in Care home fees, but it was their money. They would have been horrified how much.
So, we have moved nearer two of our three children. We moved while we could without help. We have also ruthlessly culled our belongings. I have no intention of doing to my children what has been done to us.
We are all going to die, but before then it’s more than likely we may have to rely on our children for help.
Please don’t be selfish and expect your children to clean up your financial and physical mess when you have gone, or when you become incapable.

buylocal Mon 04-Jan-21 17:59:25

Move now while the gc are still young - if you miss them growing up you might regret it - life is all about the people you share it with - Couldn't you buy another project to rennovate near the family - even a bungalow?

marymary62 Mon 04-Jan-21 18:13:57

SylviaP - exactly - I worked in adult social care and it always amazed me how little planning people had done for their old age! I know we all think we”ll stay fit forever and don’t want to think ourselves old but forward planning is not a bad thing !

Greta8 Mon 04-Jan-21 18:17:44

About eighteen months ago we moved to be nearer our only daughter. Like you, it was a big decision - we had a lovely 17th century cottage that we had renovated over the years with a beautiful, but large cottage garden which we created. We're mid-sixties and recognised that actually it was time for a change - we had been at our last house for 25 years, encompassing our working lives. We sold in a fortnight and found a lovely but completely different house. Exchanged the period charm for a modern four bed detached with a private, small garden. Our house is actually larger than our cottage which I think has helped as we've more usable space. We exchanged one beautiful rural area for another, but we are in a village with pub, shop, post office and fish and chip shop and also on a bus route. Half an hour from a city and five minutes drive to a market town. We now look after four eighteen month old grandson and it's such a joy. Yes, there have been challenges of course, but it's the best thing we've ever done. I feel very fortunate to be near our family after so many years of being distant. I would honestly think very seriously about it, you've nothing to lose - family are definitely the most important thing.

marymary62 Mon 04-Jan-21 18:35:52

Elvis58 how funny we all are ! We’re already doing a lot of those things but from a distance! You are right that the longer visits are nice - but sometimes I’ve though shorter visits might be better ! We have made clear that regular childcare is not on the agenda ( we will be away too much) but at least we wouldn’t have a long journey to see each other . I do get your point though ?

Doug1 Mon 04-Jan-21 22:34:59

As things stand with Covid 19 at the moment I think I would stay put. You love the area you are in and are settled there in such a beautiful place. Who is to say in these unsettled times that you could move nearer and still not be able to visit your family for the unseeable future. Can you at least wait until the UK is back to some sort of normality before making any decisions?

Dinahmo Mon 04-Jan-21 22:41:47

When we lived in Suffolk a lady moved to our village because her DD and family had also moved to Suffolk. After a few years the DD moved away and the lady sold up and moved too.

Another anecdote - an old friend with 3 children living in Suffolk needed the help of friends when she was suddenly taken ill. Her family of course were all out at work and she couldn't get hold of them.

Please don't underestimate the value of friends, especially when you're not so old!

Magrithea Mon 04-Jan-21 22:41:49

I agree with Bluebelle, I've never understood threads on this theme. If you like your life where you are then don't move. Your children may not thank you for it for reasons not yet clear and you may find yourselves being 'guilt tripped' if you're away a lot when they might want grandparental child care.

Moving is always difficult but a good friend moved when she and her DH were in their 70s with no problem. It's all an attitude of mind

Hetty58 Mon 04-Jan-21 22:49:17

People move so regularly now, often for work reasons. It would be such an upheaval to move nearer to family - who then moved away later.

A three hour trip in a campervan doesn't sound too difficult, especially for those used to travelling. It means that a stay over is perfectly possible, so there's no need for a round trip.

GrannyRose15 Mon 04-Jan-21 22:56:17

Five years ago my DH and I found somewhere small to live near our daughter so we could help with childcare. We didn't give up our old home and have done alot of travelling between the two places. We hoped that the way forward would become clear after a while and we'd decide where we wanted to settle for the final stage of our lives, but so far that hasn't happened. Our grandsons are both at school now so we are only needed in the holidays (and in lockdown of course). Don't know how long it will take us to make up our minds.

Daftbag1 Tue 05-Jan-21 07:22:04

We have been humming and ahhing for years but this is it. We are going to make the move!

SylviaPlathssister Tue 05-Jan-21 07:50:13

I would absolutely say please, move if you remotely get on with your children, for the reasons that I have already stated. It appears as though I didn’t love my six old folks but I did. it was just so frustrating when they couldn’t see that making no preparation for their old age, wasn’t my problem.
I lived with my Father for three weeks, in order to move him. As he was partially sighted, I sat with him going through papers. I found that he had loaned next door a £1000. It was never paid back. My Father thought he was as sharp as a pin...but they cheated him,
The conversation between us went like this for three weeks.
Me. “Dad, this is a electricity bill from 1953 , do you want to keep it ?
My Father. “ No, I don’t know why I kept it”

My MIL was brought up in a hall with servants and I swear that her much smaller house, had all the huge furniture from the hall stuffed into it. None of my children wanted boxes of monogrammed silvers spoons, Grandfather clocks, huge tables, massive bedroom sets in dark wood. Etc. They shop in Loaf and The White Company etc. They have no interest in “ old” stuff.
The Land mark Trust bought some of it.
Also, you have no idea when the problems of old age will hit. We seem to have gone, in 5 second, from a couple who coukd climb Yewbarrow easily, to hobbling about. Be warned!

marymary62 Tue 05-Jan-21 10:09:06

Nanola- that must have been so hard! I’d love to live in the Highland and we had always thought to move there one day ..... where were you? Impractical now for us to follow that dream. I

marymary62 Tue 05-Jan-21 10:14:32

SylviaP - love Yewbarrow ! We are still making it up mountains but I am aware my hips are on their way out ??. I’ve stopped gardening (digging anyway) to preserve what is left - but have succeeded in tearing ligament in my wrist from overenthusiastic hand weeding ! I know it can go quickly - mum went from climbing mountains to two hip replacements in what seemed like weeks, dad then got cancer and died 3 months later . What will I regret ?

seadragon Wed 06-Jan-21 09:51:27

We rented out our home in the Scottish North Isles and moved to Devon for 3 years to help with a grandbaby. We struggled with the heat and, although DD's house was spacious, tensions were often high. (DD has a very stressful job and I had an undiagnosed serious heart condition at the time). We returned home 5 years ago and now find ourselves in the fortunate position of living in a very low Covid area - we remain in 'tier 3 - where DS has joined us and we hope DD may come with her family too IDC....

Gardengirlie Tue 29-Jun-21 17:10:53

My son and his wife and two little boys live over 3 hours away. We’re 65 and wondering what to do- I still live in my very large childhood home and am finding it hard to leave. We’ve just sited our caravan 20 miles away so we can go for 2 or 3 weeks at a time and not be living with them, they have very busy jobs and social lives and don’t require childcare as they have a full time nanny. In some ways I would like to be needed for childcare.