Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Easter Eggs. Do you still buy them?

(93 Posts)
Jodieb Thu 11-Mar-21 17:22:25

I have two GS's 20 and 18 and a GD 14. Have just bought their E/eggs. I wonder thou' do you keep on buying them? Probably the boys would prefer beer. Do you still buy them for your AGC?

JdotJ Fri 12-Mar-21 10:40:32

Yes and I love to receive them also. Yum!

LMW1 Fri 12-Mar-21 10:42:04

I always buy Easter Eggs for my Daughters 22 & 25 & their partners. Plus all of our 5 soon to be 6 Grandchildren. (We don't buy the large excessive expensive eggs.)

Rowsie Fri 12-Mar-21 10:49:35

Yes, I still buy for grandsons aged 15, 27 and 30. I also buy for my son and his wife (in their 50's)! It is just something I do and buy them without thinking about it.

jaylucy Fri 12-Mar-21 10:52:30

I buy one for my son (nearly 35) and have done since he was little.
If I am going to see any relatives over the Easter time, I will buy extra ones for them.
Where I used to work, there used to be a Thorntons shop and was so handy buying reduced ones after Easter - used to last me for months if kept somewhere cool!

knspol Fri 12-Mar-21 10:55:44

My dad always bought me one until he died. I buy grandchild a small one and then a little non-sweet present to go with it. This year have already treated myself to a very nice looking egg.

Shirls52000 Fri 12-Mar-21 10:55:50

I buy eggs for all my adult children ( in their 30s) and send one each to my son and his girlfriend in London, and one for my little grandson, buy one for myself and hot cross buns, love them

Jan51 Fri 12-Mar-21 11:02:36

I usually buy each of my adult daughters an egg to share with their partners but this year one of their friends who is a cake maker is making brownie stacks flavoured with the chocolate of their choice and decorated with little eggs, so I've ordered one for each household. I've made the grandchildren, aged between 2 and 13, a gift bag each containing t-shirts, little 'gold' chocolate bunnies and packets of jelly sweets.

Moggycuddler Fri 12-Mar-21 11:03:43

Got several put away for DH, daughter and me! My mother always bought me an easter egg, even when I was in my late 30s. Chocolate is always welcome!

Lindylou57 Fri 12-Mar-21 11:04:33

My 35 year old son gets 'upset' with me if I dont buy him a chocolate egg! smile

nipsmum Fri 12-Mar-21 11:05:41

No I rarely buy Easter eggs. My grandchildren are all grown up and don't need or want all that sugar..

Chookmama Fri 12-Mar-21 11:09:00

Yes, bought them yesterday for me, Mr C, AC and their partners. Nothing expensive (I’d normally rather have a nice big slab of good, dark chocolate) but I like Lidl’s Henrietta the Hen.

Annaram1 Fri 12-Mar-21 11:09:02

I always buy chocolate eggs for my son aged 52 and daughter aged 54 and grandchildren aged 25, 22, and 21. I prefer to give them an egg in a china cup as its so much more useful,

Daisymae Fri 12-Mar-21 11:12:24

Yes, I buy for everyone. I don't really care how old they are. I would stop if I thought that they didn't want them but they always seem quite happy.

Puzzler61 Fri 12-Mar-21 11:14:57

I buy one each for Mr Puzzler and me. There’s something about a chocolate egg. ........ tastes scrummy and we don’t eat a lot of sweet stuff so it’s a real treat.
Grown up children get boxes of chocolates as they don’t break in transit.

Beanie654321 Fri 12-Mar-21 11:16:45

Our daughter of 36 years would have a fit if she didn't have one. One year we didn't get both children advent calenders as at over 20 years we thought they won't want one, DD had her brother running around getting her one. Never ever will I ever not get Easter Egg not Advent calendars, more than our peaceful life can stand. DS doesn't bother but as we have always bought for both he gets one along with all GS and In Laws. ?

rowyn Fri 12-Mar-21 11:32:19

I usually give money or books. However I saw the advert for Cadburys Easter egg Hunt where you buy an egg and choose a virtual place anywhere in the world for it to be hidden, then the recipient(s) have to work out where it is. So I thought I would give it a try.
Without boring you with details all I can say is that I've wasted a lot of time trying to buy an egg for my grandsons and failed miserably. Has anyone succeeded?

Foxyferret Fri 12-Mar-21 11:37:24

Yes, I have 6 eggs upstairs at the mo. I buy eggs because I fear Easter will become like Christmas in that if I give money, people will expect a lot more than the cost of an egg. Let’s just keep it simple.

Kim19 Fri 12-Mar-21 11:37:54

Nope......it's kind of a non-event for me commercially as the GC are very limited on sweet intake so I've rather let it slide. Obviously rubbish GP.

helen2020 Fri 12-Mar-21 11:47:42

jab, instead of vaccination

moggie57 Fri 12-Mar-21 12:00:47

i buy three 2 for grandchildren and one for daughter ,but have to be religious ones with a little book .... and that also has a jesus figure etc ...

Notright Fri 12-Mar-21 12:11:31

Always obviously when the grandchildren were younger. Now they're at university AGED 26 (he's doing doctorate) but obviously come home for Easter. Younger one aged 23. She went to uni late. I still do because they both love chocolate. And any excuse for me to give them something.

Mollygo Fri 12-Mar-21 12:22:33

Yes, for DDs and their families. I’m under instruction to only buy their favourite- Cadbury’s Buttons eggs.
DH who isn’t allowed much sweet stuff can make a small buttons egg last over a week.
I’d rather have a little bag of Thornton’s Alpinis.

Cherrytree59 Fri 12-Mar-21 12:22:37

I always buy lots of small eggs for family Easter egg hunt.
Which hopefully will be back in our garden this year with family picnic.

We also buy our three grandsons clothes or something useful
So thinking maybe a couple of waffle makers (come highly recommended ?)

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Mar-21 12:24:18

There’s something about a chocolate egg.

Isn’t there just, Puzzler? The chocolate tastes so much better somehow. smile

That egg hunt sounds intriguing, rowyn. I’m off to have a look at it.

Lovetopaint037 Fri 12-Mar-21 12:25:22

I used to even when they were growing up. Sometimes I gave them money instead. However, have seen a ridiculous amount of Easter eggs in their house at times due to their father having a large family who seem to buy in bulk.