Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

I could cry ?

(48 Posts)
tanith Sat 12-Jun-21 15:56:21

My GD 16 has wanted her hair cut for ages and she says she loves it now but I wanted to cry when I got the picture of the hair she’s donating. Her hair has been long her whole life and now it’s gone, I’ll tell her it’s lovely and it suits her, it’s very short but I really want to have a good cry.
They have to grow up but it’s hard.

tanith Sat 12-Jun-21 19:50:39

Thanks everyone I’m very proud of her but the style she chose is so boyish and shaved around her ears but I’m guessing that’s why she chose it. It will grow and she may like it long again in the future.

grannyrebel7 Sat 12-Jun-21 19:55:23

What a lovely thing to do. Her hair will grow back in time and you should be proud of her tanith

Redhead56 Sat 12-Jun-21 19:57:18

My daughter donates her hair it is a precious thing to do.

Baggs Sat 12-Jun-21 19:58:38

Cut hair regrows.

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 20:02:46

Cry with joy, tanith that you have such a lovely granddaughter!

Baggs Sat 12-Jun-21 20:03:10

One of my daughters has no hair at the moment. This is why I can't empathise with tears over a decision to have one's hair cut to donate it to someone who needs it, someone who has no hair to style in any way at all.

The serenity of my daughter's face shines through. She was always serene. It shows even more now.

Perhaps you could look at your grand-daughter's face instead of at the hair style you don't like, tanith.

dragonfly46 Sat 12-Jun-21 20:05:26

Baggs having lost my hair last year I totally empathis!

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 20:07:25

Baggs Wishing your daughter well.

dustyangel Sat 12-Jun-21 20:07:34

I must say tanith, if I needed a wig because of cancer,I’d be very grateful for anything but I’d much rather have one with the glorious colour and health of your young granddaughter that the much loved but inevitably less vibrant colour of my own daughters. Makes you think about the sometimes very young girls who need the wigs.

dustyangel Sat 12-Jun-21 20:09:47

Baggs, I hadn’t seen your post when I posted. My very best wishes for your daughter.

silverlining48 Sat 12-Jun-21 21:36:50

My 10 year old gd donated her lovely long hair to princess trust recently. It was a kind and thoughtful thing to do and we are very proud of her.

tanith Sat 12-Jun-21 22:59:24

Baggs I too wish your daughter well.

Eloethan Sun 13-Jun-21 00:11:16

Long hair can look lovely but it needs a lot more care and attention. Anyway, she can always grow it again if she feels like a change. It's great that young women are donating their hair to such a good cause.

crazyH Sun 13-Jun-21 00:16:52

Bags, sending hugs and good wishes to your dear daughter xx

V3ra Sun 13-Jun-21 00:28:05

tanith try and save your tears for the poor souls who will benefit from your granddaughter's kind donation, and be proud of her generous heart ?

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Jun-21 07:15:44

What a wonderful thing to do.
I'm quite moved. The girls who receive the wigs will be so grateful.
A really sisterly thing to do ?‍❤️‍?

Shelflife Sun 13-Jun-21 08:16:23

Be proud of her - very proud!

theworriedwell Sun 13-Jun-21 08:29:43

My GD is 4, her hair is beautiful and is long enough for her to sit on. I'd happily cut it short if it was up to me. Poor little soul hates having it brushed, hates having it tied up and if it isn't tied up it gets in her food and ends up a real mess.

I would rather my GD was having a carefree happy time than spending hours every week being tortured with her hair being brushed and I don't even want to go to hair washing.

I'm sure your GD will look fabulous and how lovely that others will benefit.

Kate1949 Sun 13-Jun-21 10:09:29

Baggs Your daughter has my sympathy. As someone who has had no hair for 12 years (thankfully not through illness), I can tell you it's been very hard. I found all the talk about people with perfectly nice hair complaining when hairdressers were closed very distressing.

Lexisgranny Sun 13-Jun-21 10:25:10

I could sit on my hair before I had it cut when I was about 14, my mother had it made into what was called a switch, which I still have. (I had never been to a hairdressers before, and was very impressed by the individual wood panelled cubicles). It was ‘treated’ so that it is just the same now, more than 60 years later. A couple of years ago I did offer it to the charity, but as it had already been treated they could not accept it.

Over the years it has been a useful guide as to what colour my hair should be, but now it is grey, no longer relevant.

Sparkling Sun 13-Jun-21 19:17:21

I did the same, felt liberated. It soon grew though, now it’s to my shoulders, time to get it cut. Great girl, what she did will help others so much.

greenlady102 Sun 13-Jun-21 19:21:44

its hair. It will grow back. not worth crying about