Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Feeling sidelined

(85 Posts)
TwinstarJ9 Sat 10-Jul-21 07:37:58

My 30 yr old son and his wife have a 18month old daughter, who I adore. Son is in police force and does some late shifts but mostly has weekends off, D-I-L also in the police force works 3 days a week. I’m very aware of giving them time together and not intruding, however whenever I ask to visit I usually get 1 1:2 hours before D-I-L says she needs bub to wind down for her nap or bedtime. Which is my cue to get going. I am never given any time on my own with her and always heavily supervised so much so last week I didn’t even get the opportunity to read a book or play with her in anyway. I was expected to just sit and watch her play with her mum. If I tried to do something DIL distracted her to go to her and read a book or play with something. DIL sees her own mum and dad at least twice a week and only her mum is allowed to babysit. I feel like I’m not being given a real chance to have a relationship with my grand daughter and today at my sons 30th luncheon at a restaurant, was completely ignored by DIL. Her own mum and dad took bub for a while and when I tried to take her for a walk DIL took her and said she was sick. I don’t know how to handle my DIL. She hasn’t approved of anything I’ve ever given my granddaughter as a gift and won’t let her play with the toys I’ve given her, and it’s got to the point where I feel everything I say and do is wrong so increasingly I’m withdrawing too scared to say anything other than pleasantries and too scared to buy anything without approval. In a group like today it was so obvious bub doesn’t really recognise me or know me enough to come to me. I feel so incredibly sad that I’m unable to enjoy fully being a Nanna in the way I had hoped and after having two boys was so excited to have a grand daughter. I’m trying to see it from DIL perspective and I recognise she is highly strung and needs to control every aspect of her life or she feels anxious. However I feel sidelined and that she sees no value in me whatsoever and that I’m being tolerated as MIL. I don’t feel I can say anything to my son as he will just tell DIL and I don’t think anything good will come of it. I don’t really know what to do other than what I’ve been doing which is be loving and supportive and regularly visiting when allowed. I am not normally a person who lets others walk all over me but am fearful of rocking the boat as she has all the power in the relationship. Was hoping for other grandparents perspective on this situation.

Daisy79 Fri 16-Jul-21 23:55:29

@theworriedwell

It’s all so dependent on the person and the baby. I had a very difficult baby who was an awful sleeper, but who also couldn’t be settled by anyone but mom and dad. On the one hand, it’s not nice to feel like an incubator who grandma doesn’t care to spend time with as long as she gets to see her grandchild. On the other hand, nap time is precious for your own sleep and for getting others things done. Some loving hosting and recharge on that interaction. Others (like me) crave quiet time and are drained from hosting for more than an hour or two.

welbeck Sat 17-Jul-21 04:17:31

the simple fact is that it is the parents' decision how to bring up their child, and other people have to respect that.
the parents don't have to justify it.
the OP does not seem to have the correct attitude in all this.

anonymous44 Sat 24-Jul-21 08:20:55

I am sorry you are hurting. I speak from the other side, and hope that my perspective is helpful to you (as yours is for me).

When a grandparent is overly eager to bond with a grandchild, they often make the mistakes of neglecting their relationship with the parents and overstepping boundaries. This is further complicated if the grandparent harbors a false sense of entitlement in regards to their rights with the child. They feel they are owed a certain amount of time, equal treatment to someone else, or are excused from breaking normal social boundaries with the child simply because they are the grandparent.

When I read your post, it sounds like you are very eager to have a close relationship with your granddaughter, but that you have no interest in having a close relationship with your DIL, or even your own son. It sounds like you view your DIL as merely the gateway to your granddaughter. I'm sure that your DIL senses that you want her to go away so that you can have her child all to yourself. This is a recipe for her to feel threatened. You write that you just had to watch your DIL play with your granddaughter last visit. Perhaps your DIL is trying to tell you that she would like to be included in these visits, rather than you monopolizing your granddaughter's attention and excluding DIL? When you visit, you should be equally interested in visiting with DIL, as she is also your family member. If not, she will feel like you are competing against her rather than joining her in loving the child.

If DIL's parents are more involved than you, it is because they have a stronger relationship with your son and DIL. If you change your attitude from seeking your (imagined) rightful share of your granddaughter, to trying to be supportive to the family as a whole, you will likely find yourself included more.

It is not appropriate to take someone else's child on a walk without the parents' enthusiastic blessing. You could maybe offer if the parents seem like they need a break. But you should never just walk off. And if you took the child away during a group gathering, it probably seemed like you just wanted her all to yourself. This behavior likely came across as possessive and boundary-stomping to your DIL. She likely fibbed that she was sick rather than tell you to stop monopolizing her child.

In summary, the more your push to bond with the child while putting little effort in to developing a relationship with your DIL, the worse the problem will get. If you want your DIL to do more than tolerate you, then you have to treat her as more than merely the gateway to your grandchild. Your relationship with your granddaughter will come naturally if you have a good relationship with both of her parents.

anonymous44 Sat 24-Jul-21 08:21:58

In regards to the gifts, I think your DIL is making the common first-time mother blunder of being overly fussed with the little details. Surely a couple toys that stray from what she sees as ideal won't hurt the child...I think the other poster's idea about the wish list is a good one. Hopefully her negative feelings over the dynamic I described in my previous comment are just bubbling over into this. Maybe once you sort that out, she will loosen up with the gift pickiness.

Daisy79 Mon 26-Jul-21 22:04:08

All so well said, anonymous44. You really hit the nail on the head from DIL’s likely perspective.

welbeck Tue 27-Jul-21 02:16:35

indeed

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Jul-21 09:17:58

Please come back twinstar

Nannashirlz Wed 04-Aug-21 13:25:56

Unfortunately it’s one of the prices of having sons. Daughter-in-laws will always put their mums first. But you remember when you had your children you didn’t want anyone near or touching them. My youngest son wife’s parents have my grandson once a week for sleep overs but I don’t live near. So when I visit they have a night out and stay in hotel and I babysit my 2yr grandson. My other daughter inlaw just had my granddaughter in lockdown so I’ve only just met her. But I’m only expecting to see her with them. My oldest granddaughter had her all time and took away etc. Now parents divorced only see her when with daddy. There is no law on what time you have with your grandkids. Instead of worrying what you don’t have. But happy with what you do have. If they get divorced it can be taken away in a flick of a finger. I don’t fret about what other grandparents are having or doing.

Lizzy60 Fri 27-Aug-21 09:47:34

How awful for you ! I'd say quite typical as its your son's child . All you can do is 'go with flow' & try to focus elsewhere in your life. Difficult , I know !