Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Not so patient grandpa

(45 Posts)
Littleswan23 Wed 21-Jul-21 07:50:38

My husband sprayed my 5 year old grandson with the hose on Friday evening intending it as a joke. However, my grandson burst into tears and was very upset. My husband then got really cross and said it was only a joke and told my grandson to get inside as he would upset the neighbours with his crying. I stayed outside and tried to comfort the little boy. Hubbie went inside in a sulk. He did come out a bit later and have a water fight with my grandson. When my grandson went home he told his mum that grandpa made him sad. My husband is far more impatient than me. I feel really upset by the whole incident. My grandson was staying overnight so now I’m worried he won’t want to stay because of grandpa. Should I tell my husband what my grandson said or see how things go!

GagaJo Wed 21-Jul-21 07:56:00

Tell him! My bloke could be a bit full on with my GS when he was little. It's not acceptable. A grown man sulking is pathetic. If he can't play nicely he shouldn't play at all.

Calendargirl Wed 21-Jul-21 08:00:19

I think Grandpa thought the little boy would think it great fun. When he wasn’t and became upset, GP felt bad but covered it up with turning awkward.

Perhaps tactfully bring it up later, not blaming him but just so he can appreciate that some things are not so funny to little ones.

SuzieHi Wed 21-Jul-21 08:28:51

No lasting damage I’m sure. DH will be more careful in future. At least he’s playing with him. My DH sits back and leaves it to me. I keep telling him he’s missing out and try to involve him but he’s reluctant. Makes me sad !

Newatthis Wed 21-Jul-21 08:34:42

Could he not see that your GS was getting distressed? If so then it’s child abuse and then to go on with a water fight- mmmmm!!!

PaperMonster Wed 21-Jul-21 08:35:19

Did Grandpa apologise to grandson?

Madgran77 Wed 21-Jul-21 09:05:23

Could he not see that your GS was getting distressed? If so then it’s child abuse and then to go on with a water fight- mmmmm!!!

confused

Littleswan23 Wed 21-Jul-21 09:07:29

My grandson did agree to a water fight when he’d calmed down and did tell his mum that was fun.

Littleswan23 Wed 21-Jul-21 09:09:00

Not in so many words but must have reflected and did come out and ask him if he wanted a water fight now which they did have and he enjoyed.

Littleswan23 Wed 21-Jul-21 09:10:48

Don’t think he appreciates he’s only 5, and expects him to “man up”!

Madgran77 Wed 21-Jul-21 09:11:26

Well my husband once shouted loudly at our Grandaughter because she was damaging something, although she did not really realise it would. She burst into tears. He immediately picked her up, apologised for shouting and frightening her, explained why he wanted her to stop, suggested something they could do together and all was well.

So he demonstrated to the child how to sort out things when a mistake has been made in a sensible way!!

I ghjnk you need to have a ghat about:

*Why GS didn't like it (too sudden? water cold? ....)
* How a child that age responds ..and why he is more concerned about the neighbours!
*How to avoid a similar situation in the future ...which includes not having a sulk!!!!
* what GS said and why!!

Kim19 Wed 21-Jul-21 09:19:36

Think he was somewhat unkind and insensitive to the wee chap. Also depends on how long he did it for. A tiny fun sprinkle in the passing is one thing whereas a fair soaking is totally unacceptable. As to his sulking - appalling. I would approach this gently with the wee chap's parents to find out what he has said to them. Certainly wouldn't want to jeopardise any future visits from GS but you would also have to watch out for any grudge bearing from your husband. A difficult one methinks.

ElaineI Wed 21-Jul-21 09:20:46

My DH is like this - really upsets me. Worse after his stroke. Made my 4yo DGD cry as she crawled under coffee table and almost knocked radio off. She absolutely sobbed. Then he made it worse when I came to see what had happened as she was clinging to me and he shouted "radio was going for a Burton". She sobbed and sobbed saying "I don't know what that means." I was cooking so had to abandon it till she stopped sobbing. He has also done same to 3yo DGS2 and honestly I would rather look after them at their house! Without him! He is also embarrassed if neighbours hear though most of them have young children and wouldn't bother. He is so uptight!

timetogo2016 Wed 21-Jul-21 09:26:39

I wouldn`t gring it up tbh,especially when they had a play water fight after.
Theres no harm done and your dh sulked as he was embarrassed and hurt that his gs got upset.

Smileless2012 Wed 21-Jul-21 09:31:35

Excellent advice from Calendergirl Littleswan.

I'm sure if his mum has any real concerns she'll say something to your H. It was probably the shock the made him cry as he was later quite happy to have a water fight with his granddad.

The little boy agreed to a water fight and told his mum it had been fun Newatthis "child abuse"shock for goodness sake!!!

Chewbacca Wed 21-Jul-21 09:32:36

There was a water fight. A child cried. A man sulked. There was another water fight. Child and man enjoyed it.

End of story.

JaneJudge Wed 21-Jul-21 09:33:40

I think grumpy men are more common than you think and I suspect your husband wont just randomly spray your grandson again.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 21-Jul-21 09:36:15

I think a hose being sprayed on a young child would make some of them cry, but depending on how forceful the spray was, he obviously like you said intended it as a joke, wasn’t done in a mean way, I think Gp feels a bit awkward, very silly of a grown man to sulk though! I’d just ask grandsons mum what he told them, yes I’d tell gp what he said to his mum, your husband sounds as though he was embarrassed by what the neighbours would think with the little boy crying,

eazybee Wed 21-Jul-21 09:43:08

Your husband was silly in his reaction; some children hate even being splashed in the swimming pool. But as for abuse, ridiculous.
Over reaction all round.

luluaugust Wed 21-Jul-21 09:59:21

As he enjoyed the later water fight it was just shock that made him cry, grandads can be just like small boys themselves sometimes confused. I expect grandad will get his comeuppance when small GS relates the story at a family gathering!

Shelflife Wed 21-Jul-21 10:02:50

Complete over reaction! Try not to analyze this situation, it was unfortunate but not the end of the world!! Grandpa shouldn't have sulked but probably felt awkward about what happened and didn't know how to deal with the situation. Grandpa like many others don't always find it easy to step into the shoes of a five year old. You were there to comfort your grandson , he will of course recover. In the grand scheme if things this is is no importance whatsoever. My advise is to forget it!

Shelflife Wed 21-Jul-21 10:04:18

Grandpa's feelings are hurt , abuse - such nonsense!!!?

Littleswan23 Wed 21-Jul-21 10:21:34

I do tend to over analyse things as I hate any confrontation.

cornishpatsy Wed 21-Jul-21 11:01:08

I wouldn’t bring it up again and if the child mentions it again concentrate on the later water fight or it will become far more than it needs to be.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 21-Jul-21 11:25:49

My husband has reacted similarly, if a game has resulted in crying. It’s usually the granddaughters. They’re not as robust as the boys, and sometimes my husband forgets that. He’s basically embarrassed. He doesn’t shout or anything, but he’ll make another joke of it, and make it even more awkward ?.

The silly thing is, all the grandchildren absolutely adore him, and can get quite upset if it’s just me sometimes.

Don’t make this bigger than it is. Lessons have to be learnt on both sides. Your husband has to understand to back straight off, if something upsets his grandchild. Equally, the children have to learn that everything is ok, and grandad/ granny didn’t mean it to upset them. They thought it would be fun.