Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

still not the mom he was expecting

(42 Posts)
mothercat Fri 28-Jan-22 02:12:53

It's been 2 years since I last posted and I am still befuddled by what my son expects from me.
He has finished school 6 hours away where they have been living, and has accepted a job in our hometown. He and his wife have asked us to watch their 2 y/o son 2-3 days a week while they both work in the same office. The child is our first and only grandchild.
We agreed, but now I am having second thoughts.
They stayed with us for a week during the summer and again over the holidays. During the summer I was criticized for spending too much time in the garden. I grow fruits and vegetables to sell at a farmers market as I have for the past 6 years. There were also a lot of other criticisms about how I spend time with the grandchild.
The holidays were a repeat of various greivances, but I came down with a nasty cold Christmas Eve and explained that I would not be participating as much as usual, trying to prevent others getting sick. Turns out the son felt that I should be cooking and helping more because he felt the visit was meant to be a vacation from their usual life and they were looking for places to stay when they moved back, plus catching up with friends, etc.
But, this week may portend how things will be when they move back next weekend. Son asked me to pick up keys for their new home (paperwork already signed), but wait until he had notified them that night. No word from him for a couple of days and while driving past the building a couple of times on the same day doing errands decided to pop in thinking he just forgotten to send me the okay. The agency hadn't heard from him and called him for permission. All seemed fine. I sent him a text later saying I had everything, but no reply.
I finally called him today about another matter, and he said he was upset that I had "disregarded" what he asked me to do. He didn't give me a reason why he didn't do what he said he would, or why what I did was wrong, just that I hadn't followed directions.
I'm now concerned that I will be in for a lot of criticism for how I care for his son. My husband understands my concerns and has agreed to be the designated person to communicate with our son.
I was getting excited about the time I would have with our grandson, but now worry that I won't be able to do any of the things I was planning (pool, park, library, etc). Not to mention the still very tenuous relationship with our son.
No idea how to approach him to explain how hurt I am with his perception of me as a parent and grandparent. Conversations with him are exhausting as I am always so guarded and careful to say just the right thing.

Any advice?

marymary62 Fri 28-Jan-22 19:53:30

I agree with MOnica and others who are concerned about this relationship. No other person should be criticising how you spend your time or trying to control what you do. It would be good if you could find some space and time to talk to your son. It sounds like you are scared to do so - but it is only by talking that you can resolve this problem. It takes two to make a relationship and maybe there are things that he finds difficult as well. Avoidance won’t help especially as he is going to be living nearer and if you are to have a closer relationship with your grandson.

marymary62 Fri 28-Jan-22 20:35:33

One further note - I don’t think this is about how much time you spend grand parenting - it’s fundamentally about resolving this relationship with your son

VioletSky Fri 28-Jan-22 20:53:28

mothercat

I'd hope for now this is all stress he is taking out on you unfairly, is he normally this picky?

It's not your fault you were poorly and couldn't host a perfect Christmas, really they should have stayed at home or found another way to accommodate their other plans with friends

This is your home, as long as you follow their parenting rules, nap schedules, bed times and meal times so that the little one isn't stressed by inconsistency I don't think it should matter whether you are in the garden or out for a walk the rest of the time

This is a huge favour for them but also a wonderful time for you, hope you get to enjoy it

welbeck Sat 29-Jan-22 01:14:17

you were unwell; they should have swooped in to look after you, do the cooking, cleaning etc at xmas.
why do you put up with being put down.
i'd have said, what did your last slave die of ?

Bibbity Sat 29-Jan-22 09:17:21

welbeck

you were unwell; they should have swooped in to look after you, do the cooking, cleaning etc at xmas.
why do you put up with being put down.
i'd have said, what did your last slave die of ?

Overwork and underpaid

Shelflife Sat 29-Jan-22 09:26:04

Mothercat, please remember you are doing your son and DIL a massive favour , I suspect they need reminding if that. Two days a week is a huge commitment and will most definitely impinge on your life. Your son should trust you enough to take good care of your GC what you do with him during your childcare days is your choice not his! If they don’t like it they can always pay high nursery fees!! Their choice. This may sound harsh but I have seen a few threads on this subject and it makes my blood boil!!! I have done one long day each week for many years for my two daughters, they both trusted me implicitly to provide a safe environment for my GC. I choose activities that I know are safe for me and my GC. I would have been very upset if my daughters dictated what I should or should not do. Obviously I would follow sensible requests like not giving them squash / juice if that is what they asked of me - but on the whole I decided what happened during the day. The children loved coming and my daughters were quite simply grateful that I had them. Please don’t take on more than you can manage! Some parents seem so ‘ precious ‘ these days! You have done your bit as a parent so taking care of GC is a favour to your DS it is not his right. If you are concerned in any way do speak to him and I hope it all works out well.

Gingster Sat 29-Jan-22 09:31:41

Just say ‘my way or the high way’ . Take it or leave it.
You would be on tender hooks the whole time, answering to their demands.
I agree with Oldbat - it’s a big committment.

GagaJo Sat 29-Jan-22 10:11:35

My DD makes comments about what she used to do on certain days of the week with DGS. But I don't follow that pattern. I'm more led by the weather. If it's a warm, sunny day, we go to the park. If it's freezing / raining etc I might take him to soft play. I do try to make sure we go out of the house most afternoons, unless I have too much work on.

V3ra Sat 29-Jan-22 13:21:52

Even in a professional childcare setting the parents have to accept some compromises as to what the carers are able or willing to do, especially as there would most likely be other children whose needs and parents' wishes are equally important.

One area I would strongly recommend you consider mothercat is food: you will find it a lot easier if your grandson brings his own food with him, and it will be something your son and daughter-in-law can have control over without any pressure on you.
My minded children have always brought their own food.

BeverlyRose Tue 08-Feb-22 14:07:24

I’ve had this too. It’s been so scary to care for my GC.
I messed up as a mother as I had serious mental health issues. I was a good enough mother as they’re all grown up and are being responsible citizens.
My son needed me to help out one weekend a month for an only child 7 yo GC. Well, to start with my GC is very creative and extremely self-willed. If things don’t go their way they’ll sulk and NOTHING can get them to stop until they are ready.
When I set a limit they’ll deliberately step over while grinning at me. I’m not allowed to discipline them in any way so, I’m bested by a 7 yo. When their dad calls to see how things are going theyll grab my phone and go to their room with it and it’s a tussle to get it back. They lie to me and about me to their parents. When my son came home that lunch time he shouted at me and reminded me of what a terrible mother I was and asked why, now that I’m older, I can’t be creative and do things with the child. I try explaining but I’m not heard. The child will smirk at me from their dad’s leg and I ended up in tears saying I just didn’t know what to do any more and that perhaps I’m not the right person to care for the child. I love this child but I’m totally at a loss at what to do now.
I probably sound stupid and dense.
A little background: I was severely abused throughout my life.
May you sensible grounded women help please. Thank you

silverlining48 Tue 08-Feb-22 14:26:55

Hello Beverley. It might be better to start a new post where you are more likely to get lots of helpful suggestions.

I had a similar situation with a gc and after one particularly difficult day decided I had to stop. When it’s not a pleasure but a worry or a dread you need to have a think. It is upsetting though, and yes I got the defiant smirk, one time too many.

Wishing you well.

Smileless2012 Tue 08-Feb-22 15:02:49

I can assure you BeverleyRose that you sound neither stupid nor dense, but you do sound as if you're being treated appallingly by your son and your GC.

How dare your son shout at youangry. If he doesn't think you're suitable to be looking after your GC then why has he asked you too?

I understand that you love your GC and your son but this isn't working for you or them so perhaps you should seriously consider putting a stop to it.

Looking after GC on a regular basis is bound to present some challenging moments but this sounds as if there's little pleasure in it for you.

Take care of yourself and if that means no longer providing free childcare for your ungrateful son and out of control GC, so be it flowers.

BeverlyRose Wed 09-Feb-22 13:11:47

Help please.

It’s been so scary to care for my GC.
I messed up as a mother as I had serious mental health issues. I was a good enough mother as they’re all grown up and are being responsible citizens.
My son needed me to help out one weekend a month for an only child 7 yo GC. Well, to start with my GC is very creative and extremely self-willed. If things don’t go their way they’ll sulk and NOTHING can get them to stop until they are ready.
When I set a limit they’ll deliberately step over while grinning at me. I’m not allowed to discipline them in any way so, I’m bested by a 7 yo. When their dad calls to see how things are going theyll grab my phone and go to their room with it and it’s a tussle to get it back. They lie to me and about me to their parents. When my son came home that lunch time he shouted at me and reminded me of what a terrible mother I was and asked why, now that I’m older, I can’t be creative and do things with the child. I try explaining but I’m not heard. The child will smirk at me from their dad’s leg and I ended up in tears saying I just didn’t know what to do any more and that perhaps I’m not the right person to care for the child. I love this child but I’m totally at a loss at what to do now.
I probably sound stupid and dense.
A little background: I was severely abused throughout my life.
May you sensible grounded women help please. Thank you

mothercat Sun 27-Feb-22 18:57:03

Update**

If saying things came to a head doesn't sound good, then you're right. However, it didn't happen for the reasons I would have thought.
A bit more background. Our oldest son lives at home. He is on the autism spectrum, but is employed full time in a trade. He also has depression which we have strongly encouraged him to seek treatment for, but he hasn't. Most of the time he is doing well, but was in a a very dark spot last week, considering suicide.
On top of that husband had surgery 10 days ago and I have had to be available to him. There was a potentially serious medical issue last week and being a retired nurse he turned to me for assistance. Oldest son was home and heard a commotion but thought I had it handled so didn't offer to help or call out. Afterwards he asked what happened, I explained and he feels guilty for not helping. The guilt made the depression much worse, but he was feeling much better after he and his father talked for a long time.
Fast forward to Thursday evening this week. Son #3 lives out of town and knows about Son #1's suicide consideration. Asks Son #2 just to check in with him, to see how he's doing. Son #1 tells him the whole thing about the medical incident, the suicide thoughts, the long talk with their dad, and some stuff that he thinks he heard me say about watching the grandson. All of which painted husband and I in a bad light.
All of that triggered Son#2 (father of grandson). He calls up to talk with us about these things and husband and I have no idea what he's talking about. As we try to add context he calls them all excuses and tells us he doesn't feel safe leaving grandson with us.
It comes down to 3 things.
1) I don't respect his boundaries and never have.
2) Too much of his childhood was husband yelling at the kids as a means of parenting and discipline, and I did little to nothing to protect them. Most of what he is talking about, in truth, was while I was working full time while husband was laid off.
3) He came to me as a child saying he was having a lot of trouble learning to read and said I dismissed his concerns. I thought I was being reassuring that children learn to read at different rates, but he was also later diagnosed with dyslexia. He's concerned that I'll ignore grandson when he really needs me also.

At this point, grandson is enrolled in an educational daycare and I think they should plan to have him continue there as it has advantages and a regular routine.
Son doesn't trust us not to repeat the yelling and lack of protection.
I wrote all the kids a 3 page letter explaining generational trauma just so they understand for their own lives how we may have gotten to this point. There are no excuses for what they see as bad parenting, but we all could use some compassion and empathy. Just because we are all adults doesn't mean there isn't still a young child inside of us with unmet needs and long time scars.

Oldladynewlife Tue 08-Mar-22 20:39:24

I’m so sorry this is happening to you. It sounds overwhelming. I don’t think you should take on board the job of justifying yourself to your critical son at this point. He does not sound like he is going to be able to be generous or open minded about things and the situation with your husband and older son sounds incredibly draining.

AugustDay Wed 09-Mar-22 00:33:36

I just wanted to say thank you for the update and what a mature and emotionally intelligent response from you to your son. I know it is hard to admit to our failings but the way you have acknowledged what he has said and validated your son’s feelings is so important in building on the relationship. None of us are perfect. The daycare sounds like a lower-stress option for everyone and I hope it works out, and wish you all the best.