Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Where do I draw the line..

(59 Posts)
JaydeeTas Sun 15-May-22 13:21:32

My son and daughter in law has a 7 week old. This is their first baby. I am wondering if I am over stepping the mark with advice.. They take it well when I offer it but, somethings they just won't change.

As I'm typing this, it is raining and 13c. It is also 10:15pm.

They like to send me a photo of a night. They sent one 9:15pm tonight with wind warnings and they aren't home.. When I enquired, they said they were just leaving.

They aren't always well prepared either. Usually when they visit me, I give them a blanket or change of clothes to take him home.

How do I stress my concern without over stepping.. or am I being too involved??

ElaineI Sun 19-Jun-22 09:54:04

That sounds more positive JaydeeTas.

Caleo Sun 19-Jun-22 10:03:21

I think you should risk being unpopular with the young parents if with the benefit of your experience as a mother you see they are ignorant in any respect.
I do feel for you.

How to give advice is to do so in a fairly casual tone of voice for instance

"Not good weather out there for a young baby ! "

Young parents don't know they are ignorant, and that they need good advice.

Caleo Sun 19-Jun-22 10:10:12

Jaydee, you are marvellous!

JaydeeTas Fri 22-Jul-22 12:45:41

Caleo

Jaydee, you are marvellous!

Awww… thank you Caleo.
The little man is 4 months now.. they do listen which is great but, I feel I don’t offer as much advice now.. he’s healthy and a happy baby.

Witzend Fri 22-Jul-22 12:55:05

I know how hard it can be, when you’re itching to say something, but honestly, give no advice unless asked. Perhaps even more so when the mother is a DiL, rather than a dd.

The ‘rules’ do change periodically - I dare say that today’s parents of babies will one day be grandparents, thinking that their children are doing it all wrong!

Madgran77 Fri 22-Jul-22 13:59:45

JaydeeTas

I just worry. They are new parents and haven't realised they need to think about priorities. They are literally visiting friends every day..

Perhaps that just works for them. They have to do it their way

Madgran77 Fri 22-Jul-22 14:00:40

Hithere

They may have to experience a failure for them to wise up and learn from it, sadly

Very true!

Madgran77 Fri 22-Jul-22 14:02:47

JaydeeTas

Just wanted to give an update... all parties have become quite close in the last couple of weeks.. They seem to be listening and rugging up the little man before going out and spending a little more time at home suring the evenings. I received a message from DIL thanking me for being a support person and I see the little one Wednesday afternoons. My son is on trial for an apprenticeship and is enjoying working again. smile

That is positive. They are learning