Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Looking for some advice

(34 Posts)
SingleGram Mon 04-Jul-22 12:22:12

I started caring for my granddaughter now age 3 a few weeks after she was born. I can only do this at her home as she is not allowed in my car. I won't get into all the details but this is my son's daughter. I share this childcare with my son's partner's parents they do Tues/Thurs/every 2nd Friday and I do Mon/Wed and every 2nd Friday. I am alone so it is a bit different for me I also have other grandchildren which her parents do not. Anyways I am tired of doing this and would like to move on to doing some other personal things as the "job" is making me feel quite limited as I cannot leave when I am at their home and there is nothing around that is within walking distance as it is in the country. I feel that I do not want to do it anymore that it is affecting my health (I am a diabetic and have some chronic issues) I can't seem to get out of it in any way I have tried politely. Even when I had major surgery I was back in no time. Without going to far into my life story here haha I don't have any other support. When I do not do these 3 days which is also a lot of driving too, I do not see her (my gd) How can I get out of this obligation they have no plans to put her in preschool and the other grands are willing to go on forever. Ideally I would like to finished in the Fall at the latest. I have had no luck in telling them before I don't know how it happens but his partner does not seem to like me which I am ok with but she tells my son and he of course sticks up for her and I feel insulted as she calls me unreliable etc. I have never missed any of my days except for a major surgery which was unexpected. She compares me to her parents and I fall short. My confidence is failing here I was once a preschool teacher and was put off work due to my arthritis and kidney disease. Can anyone give me some advice? It was a hard decision to come to as they spend a lot of time with her parents but have visited only 3 times in 3 years for me so it is likely I will not see her. Thanks!

Loulelady Tue 05-Jul-22 22:55:19

Do they treat you to meals? Take you out for lunch? Cook for you?

They sound just awful. I’m really sorry.

I’d send a message saying you won’t be committing to regular childcare after the school holidays as it’s too much for you now. You’ve loved spending all that time with X and still want to see her and them all regularly, but as a grandma not as childcare. Please do get in touch in emergencies as of course you’ll step in if you can.

If they cut you off then they are vile scum ?

Herefornow Wed 06-Jul-22 15:27:21

I think you should tell them 2-3 days is too much, your doctor has told you to cut back and rest, on the driving as much as the child watching. Tell them you would love to do 1 day (give this a go? You may regret stopping altogether once you're a bit better rested?) as you cherish the time and you know dgd does too. I would point out that if you work yourself past the point that is healthy for you you will likely become less reliable due to sickness etc, and that you desperately don't want to let them down. WHEN they try to brush you off, as I'm sure they will, be firm and just say 'hear me, i love you all, but i cannot continue like this, i need help from my family to stay healthy here.

It sounds like they are:

a) trying to hold you up to her parents standards - which isn't fair, people are different, they have different strengths etc, and
b) waiting for you to fall short?

Tell them you aren't dils parents, and you can only do what you can do.

silverlining48 Wed 06-Jul-22 15:57:00

Remind them too that you are one person, not two, so no one to share care with, or talk to, and never get a chance to have a break,

SingleGram Thu 07-Jul-22 00:09:44

Thanks for all the suggestions. Based on what I know about past attempts (and being realistic) I think the straight to the point is how it will have to be. I am thinking of giving them 7 weeks notice so in September they might enroll her in something. They actually are about an hour away from anything! That probably is the reason it is so hard for me not to be able to leave. I think that if I could leave with her even for a short outing I would stay however not sure I should bring that up as it could backfire somehow!

Mariana72 Mon 18-Jul-22 22:19:25

Daddima

‘ I’ve decided I can’t look after child any more, so I’ll be giving up on date. That should give you time to make other arrangements’

No explanation necessary.

I absolutely agree !!

SingleGram Tue 19-Jul-22 13:54:47

To everyone here that gave me the most helpful advice thanks very much. I wanted to let you know how it worked out for me. I told them in writing as they were not listening to me. It was the best way not an email or a text in a letter. I was straight to the point and left no loopholes but gave them plenty of time. I told them the end of September I would not be able to continue with the childcare everyday due to another obligation that left only Fridays open which I would be happy to care for her on that day.
So they did try to coerce (sp) me since they see me there still but I am sticking to my guns and yesterday I saw a brochure for a daycare laying on the kitchen counter so I think it has sunk in.
As to what they did to thank me as some people asked did they treat me to lunch etc. none of those things. I am a diabetic and bring all my own food with me but certainly can eat out however no...they figure they are doing me a favour by allowing so much time with my granddaughter. They will find out soon enough that not everyone will love her like we do and unfortunately she does have some challenging behavoirs that nothing I do stops. She is so frustrated and so I just restrain her by hugging her for a bit. This is not something I dealt with raising my own children so perhaps it will resolve as she gets older. She is very bright but hits her head and anyone around her mostly when tired.
Anyways I am doing it until the end of September and have yet to hear anything more about the Friday I offered. Time will tell. I think that being able to say this in this forum to other grandmother's was most helpful and I appreciate every response and suggestion! Have a wonderful week.

Farmor15 Tue 19-Jul-22 14:01:50

SingleGram - your update is appreciated as some posters never come back to say whether they acted on advice, and if it worked. Interesting that it was a proper letter that had the effect - might be useful to others.

Cabbie21 Tue 19-Jul-22 16:40:13

Singlegran, well done.
Just one thought. You have said the end of September. They may need to put the child into nursery in early September in line with the school year, so be prepared for a slightly earlier finish, possibly even a sudden one.