Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Granddaughter, WOKE, Gender Neutral etc

(54 Posts)
Betty25 Thu 07-Jul-22 16:48:09

My eldest grandchild has just turned 14. About a year ago a new girl started in their class and told them all about woke, how they don’t have to identify as girls if they don’t want to. My granddaughter and half of the girls in her class embraced this new way of thinking. She changed her name to a boys name, as did a few of the other girls with names like James and Ray and in the last month has changed her name again to Billie, a more gender neutral name but wants to referred to as he.
Add to that all the hormones and general teenage grumpyism and we are left in a quandary. We have alway been close to her and she used to love coming here. My son and daughter in law support her with her ever changing changes and don’t seem to challenge the decisions she makes but I find it hard to call her a name other than the beautiful name she was born with.
When I see her she says hello and then buries her head into her computer and her drawing. She stayed over and I tried to take her out shopping but she just isn’t bothered with anything.
I want to be part of her life but I don’t know where to start with this phase of her life.

Elizabeth27 Thu 07-Jul-22 17:01:16

At 14 she is governed by hormones, peer pressure, and experimenting with who she is. There will be phases, tears, tantrums and lovely times but these can change day by day.

tanith Thu 07-Jul-22 17:08:39

I sympathise Betty25 I'm in a similar position my GD is 17 and although all her friends call her by her chosen new name shes happy for family to still call her by her given name. I see her often and although she also is either drawing or on her phone I accept how she is secretly hoping its a phase and she'll return to the carefree girl she used to be.

Blondiescot Thu 07-Jul-22 17:08:43

Just go with the flow and don't make a big issue of it. It may just be a phase - it may turn out to be more than that, but either way, they're still your grandchild.

BlueBelle Thu 07-Jul-22 17:20:23

Oh Betty I can feel your disappointment and confusion but 14 is often an age where you stop all the lovely grandma - ry things you are used to doing they start to pull away and want to be out and about with their friends or just grumping on their phones it really is normal boy or girl or whatever

I can understand your confusion and disappointment at her losing her lovely chosen name and wanting to feel she has made a change to more boyish pursuits but it most likely is a phase a fitting in thing (especially if she’s never shown signs of wanting to do boyish things before) and you ll probably find in a couple of years when she’s in skimpy clothes and hand in hand with a boy it ll all change
My friends daughter at her age changed her name to a boys and was very into dressing like a boy cutting her hair however two years on its all gone my own youngest grandaughter while never going that far did boxing football in a boys team and I wouldn’t have been at all surprised if hadn’t have moved further as she got older Now at 16 she’s the most feminine of them all with beautiful long flowing hair and long eyelashes fluttering everywhere

FarNorth Thu 07-Jul-22 17:31:32

A change of name is one thing. A change to claiming she actually is a boy is something else.
I hope your granddaughter is not doing that.

Mollygo Thu 07-Jul-22 17:32:31

It started at 11 in Y7 at my GD’s school and the instigator used it as a new form of bullying, telling on those who ‘mis-pronouned’ to get them into trouble. Among other things, telling those who joined that her parents were very supportive, but if their parents didn’t support them, they were driving them to suicide!
I can’t help wondering why such supportive parents would send their “boy” to an all girls school?

GagaJo Thu 07-Jul-22 17:39:19

Teenagers are contrary. It's a very difficult stage of life and as their family, we just have to support them, as their parents are. Even the most stable, trouble free teenager has a hard time navigating that phase of life.

Hithere Thu 07-Jul-22 21:19:18

OP

You are part of her life!

Your gc is learning to spread his/her wings - your relationship may not be as close as you may want it but it is normal

There is no bigger demonstration of love when you accept a person as he/she/they is/are

lemsip Thu 07-Jul-22 21:30:00

she's 14 and won't be part of your life any longer, sad but true.....All the input us grans give over the years will stay with her though.

Lolo81 Thu 07-Jul-22 23:52:02

Maybe change the way you communicate? My dad learned how to text (a good few years ago now) purely to keep in touch with my eldest. She went through a few years of mainly texting him and seeing him on the odd occasion- now she’s an adult she goes to see him on her own and they have maintained the lovely close relationship they’ve always had. His willingness to give her space to grow up and adapt to her preferred medium of contact was hugely important to her. My parents have both continued this with the younger GC as they become teenagers and all of them engage with them independently.
As long as you continue to support, stay in touch and respect her choices (even when you don’t agree with them), hopefully as she grows and matures she’ll do what my daughter did and seek a closer mature independent relationship.

Chestnut Fri 08-Jul-22 00:12:27

This gender identification stuff being taught at the moment is very worrying because of the confusion it can cause with hormonal young teens trying to find their way. Start telling them they can change sex and it's going to cause all manner of uncertainty on top of the usual teenage angst.

All you can do is accept whatever she wants to do at the moment but always make it clear you will love her just as much if she goes back to how she was. Either way you will love her. Even if she brushes off your offer of affection it will always be there at the back of her mind that you accept her and don't condemn or criticise her. Just offer her a cuddle to show her you love her (without overdoing it) and she will remember you are not judgemental and she can always come to you when she wants you.

Wyllow3 Fri 08-Jul-22 02:52:40

Because was being discussed at a meeting - with a good deal of controversy - I asked my niece who is a headteacher of a very large secondary school about trans teaching, given the rumours. She said the young people knew far more about the current discussions on gender issues than most of the adults, because its not "taught" but its all over social media.

When it's discussed in class they try to deal with it in the same was as multi-culture and faith teaching, which is acceptance of difference, everyone is an individual etc etc. Trying out names of being a boy but wearing make up or skirts of being a girl and dressing like a boy is not the same as a desire to actually go through transitioning to the other sex, taking hormones, going through medical and mental health type counselling.
Yes information is given that some choose to be LGBTQ but the info is out there already.

Allsorts Fri 08-Jul-22 03:35:43

Fed up with all the woke nonsense. however nothing you can do about it, your granddaughter since this person swept in has now another thing to cope with as a teenager.She knows you won't judge her, can come to you if she wants you but at fourteen I'm afraid we as grandparents take a back seat. They have so much going on, discovering the grown up world they care entering. I accept mine as they are and hope they remember me time to time.

Calendargirl Fri 08-Jul-22 06:59:08

My DD has a theory that as girls reach puberty, with all the ‘hassle’ of periods etc., it seems so much easier to ‘be a boy’, hence all the name change, different dressing, hairstyles and so on.

Whether it carries on is another matter I suppose.

And you still have your periods.

DaisyAnne Fri 08-Jul-22 07:18:00

It sounds as if your GC is as uncomfortable with you as you are with them Betty. As the adult, we should be the ones who make it less uncomfortable.

We learn just as much from our children and grandchildren as they so from us. None of us ever reaches an age or shouldn't reach an age when we think we have nothing left to learn. That would mean we assume we know everything; no one ever does, do they?

Good luck from me with the egg-shell treading. It's been going on for centuries. It never gets any easier.

VioletSky Fri 08-Jul-22 07:29:57

Try to meet them where they are.... get some art supplies to share and sit and draw with them or communicate in text.

Teenagers thrive when we love them as they are and it's always been a normal time to experiment with finding themselves.

Sara1954 Fri 08-Jul-22 08:04:15

Wonderful that anyone can be anything or anyone they want to be.
But hugely confusing to children coming from a small village school, where eleven year olds are still children, to a massive academy, where anything is possible.

FarNorth Fri 08-Jul-22 08:09:18

Except Sara1954 that it isn't true because no-one can change sex, although they can change their appearance and some bodily characteristics.

BlueBelle Fri 08-Jul-22 08:13:44

As well as loving them as they are… let them go a 14 year old may not want to be with her granny any more, that doesn’t mean she doesn’t love you, it’s a very very natural process and we cannot hang on and expect them to live as we do or feel they should
My son and daughter in law support her with her ever changing changes and don’t seem to challenge the decisions
Well done son and daughter in law they are doing it absolutely right now you must do as they are doing

Her growing away from you is a very normal process lucky lucky you to have had a close relationship up to now Have no expectations this is a time of experimentation and exploration

When my grandaughter was about that age we were both going to the city the same day I asked if I could travel up with her and she said of course but if you see me in the city with my friends don’t come and speak to me please I thought that was hilarious and of course did exactly as she asked and walked on by when I saw her with a group of boys and girls

H1954 Fri 08-Jul-22 08:16:15

Hithere

OP

You are part of her life!

Your gc is learning to spread his/her wings - your relationship may not be as close as you may want it but it is normal

There is no bigger demonstration of love when you accept a person as he/she/they is/are

My thoughts exactly; rather than stressing and worrying over this why don't you take the time to sit and talk to your granddaughter? Tell her that you love her but you want to understand how she is feeling, don't condemn her actions as all this could be a passing phase.

I am a grandmother too and I love my grandchildren unconditionally, if my grandson came out as being gay it wouldn't bother me one iota, as long as he is safe and happy.

GagaJo Fri 08-Jul-22 08:20:05

As others have said, if you want a continuing relationship with him, you have to accept him as he wants to be. It could be a phase, it could be permanent.

Start by using male pronouns and the name he has chosen. Knowing granny is 100% on his side might help make you closer again. He is the same person you know and love regardless.

Shelflife Fri 08-Jul-22 09:33:10

Chestnut has made an import point-
Tell a GC they will still be loved if they revert back to the gender assigned to at birth. Perhaps some children get embroiled in 'gender ' change then don't know how to backtrack . Having said that I do recognize that trans issues must be taken seriously and firmly believe that society will eventually accept , but there is a long way to go yet! But it will happen.

Sara1954 Fri 08-Jul-22 09:33:20

I truly, hand on heart, wouldn’t mind whatever my grandchildren chose to do, as long as they were happy.
That’s a giant step from how my parents and in-laws would have felt about my children.

geekesse Fri 08-Jul-22 09:53:58

Many years ago, before this all became a talking point, my daughter, now in her 30s, marched into the office at the start of the school year in her primary school and told them she was a boy now, and her name was Timothy*. The school secretary didn’t bat an eyelid, passed the message to the school staff, and for the rest of the year, they treated her in every way as a boy. The following September, she went back into the office and said that she was now Maggie* again, and things went back to normal. I don’t think they or I agonised over it at all - it was just a stage she was going through.

Goodness knows what would have happened if it had been 2022 instead of the early 1990s - counselling and therapy probably. We laugh about it now. She’d just read ‘The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler’, which poses questions about social gender roles, and she was experimenting, which is what kids do.

Role-playing is an important part of learning. If a five-year old said that she was Princess Aurora, you’d probably go along with that until she got bored with it. Assume this is just a teenage version of the same process.

*names changed