Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Granddaughter, WOKE, Gender Neutral etc

(55 Posts)
Betty25 Thu 07-Jul-22 16:48:09

My eldest grandchild has just turned 14. About a year ago a new girl started in their class and told them all about woke, how they don’t have to identify as girls if they don’t want to. My granddaughter and half of the girls in her class embraced this new way of thinking. She changed her name to a boys name, as did a few of the other girls with names like James and Ray and in the last month has changed her name again to Billie, a more gender neutral name but wants to referred to as he.
Add to that all the hormones and general teenage grumpyism and we are left in a quandary. We have alway been close to her and she used to love coming here. My son and daughter in law support her with her ever changing changes and don’t seem to challenge the decisions she makes but I find it hard to call her a name other than the beautiful name she was born with.
When I see her she says hello and then buries her head into her computer and her drawing. She stayed over and I tried to take her out shopping but she just isn’t bothered with anything.
I want to be part of her life but I don’t know where to start with this phase of her life.

VioletSky Sun 17-Jul-22 11:51:36

That has nothing to do with OPs grandchild * FarNorth*

Everyone needs boundaries

Healthy ones

Dinahmo Sun 17-Jul-22 12:03:09

As a child I loved my Grandmother and in fact she was responsible for introducing me to many of the things that I still like to do today. However, when I reached my teenage years I became irritated with all the fussing over me that I had previously enjoyed.

When I moved to London, age 19, I used to visit my GPs after work. I would watch the evening news with my GF but Nana would keep coming in and asking me whether I wanted a drink. I got fed up with this.

One friend with numerous grandchildren used to tell me how as soon as they got to their teens they didn't want to visit her, they'd rather be out with their friends. They would visit if she cooked a Sunday lunch but she could not afford to do that regularly. She was philosophical about it.

Think back to your own relationships with GPs and parents. At some time during my early teens I realised that my parents were fallible and as I grew older we often had arguments over what I could and couldn't do. By the time I got to my mid twenties we got on very well but sadly I lost them both in their early fifties - my dad through cancer and my mum through early onset Alzheimers. Although she lived for some years it was never the same.

We all know that as children develop they go through many changes, some of which can be disruptive or upsetting. I think it's important that, as a GP, one steps back, doesn't interfere or be too opinionated with them but is quietly supportive. Most of us gain a degree of wisdom as we get older and your relationship with them will change yet again.

GagaJo Sun 17-Jul-22 12:11:56

That's a nice, calm perspective Dinahmo.

Some of the distance will as you've said, be due to normal teenage detachment, the stage where adolescents begin to become independent. If a close bond with family has already been made, it'll come back later, after they've developed themselves as an individual.

If family don't accept who they are/are becoming, possibly that will lead to a less close relationship as they become an adult. We can't push what we want onto our children/grandchildren. They are their own people.

VioletSky Sun 17-Jul-22 12:13:16

I thought that was a great comment too...