Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Handling parenting styles of our 3 kids

(96 Posts)
CanadianNonna Sat 06-Aug-22 15:17:02

hi all!
We had our 3 kid, their spouses and 5 grands here for 10 days - with 5 days with all of them here. my son and did wife and 4 year old live here but my steps and their families are far away so it’s once or twice a year. My two steps are more new age never say no parents and my son and his wife have boundaries and routines and consequences
surprise! our local grand is fun and pretty easy - if she has a meltdown the parents instantly remove her. still busy but a typical 4 year old. the other kids - scream,cry, throw tantrums and are in the process of destroying our home. they throw toys and damage the floors
the local child is able to confine herself to the play area, eat at the designated areas instead of dragging food all over the house etc
i’m exhausted and so is my husband
even he can see the difference.

after they leave today we are going to discuss next year and set the ground rules before they come

what do you think of the following:

- any child who tantrums or cries and screams because they got the wrong colour plate etc will be removed for a break to another room as it’s not fair to others. no exceptions
- toys are allowed only on the carpeted areas
- thrown toys will be removed and if it continues the child is removed for a break

we plan to outline this far ahead of their arrival. they may decide not to come but we can’t do this again

both my steps and their spouses need a course like 123 magic.

Sara1954 Tue 09-Aug-22 06:22:33

Because I have a lot to do with my grandchildren, I do tell them off if they’re naughty, but don’t feel it’s my place to punish them, for example I’d like to go outside, and take a sledgehammer to all of my grandsons electronics, but I can’t
I would like to impose actual bedtime routines, I sometimes suggest they would be better going to bed at a set time but I can’t impose it.
I could go on, but the interest is of family harmony, I have to let it go.
Generally they are good children, and I enjoy having them around, but they are careless of things, and they’re so lazy, never pick up after themselves.
I definitely think I should have laid down some ground rules, but I’m not sure anyone would have taken any notice.

Madgran77 Tue 09-Aug-22 09:06:41

Glorianny cuddles and laughter and hugs are great. And as you say anything that causes damage to things or people not being allowed is also OK. Which I think is the problem for CanadianNonna because it appears that damage to her things and her home are considered ok by the vising parents!

Glorianny Tue 09-Aug-22 09:43:26

Madgran77

Glorianny cuddles and laughter and hugs are great. And as you say anything that causes damage to things or people not being allowed is also OK. Which I think is the problem for CanadianNonna because it appears that damage to her things and her home are considered ok by the vising parents!

Yes but I don't suppose laying down a set of rules about what is forbidden will help that. I always prefer to go for the positive option. For example the eating anywhere. I wouldn't say anything to the parents, but if I found a child eating somewhere I didn't want them to, I would sweep them up and deposit them and their food where I wanted them to be, with a kiss and something like "Granny likes everyone to eat in the kitchen". I find positive feedback works best. The same with please and thank yous, use them yourself and praise the child when they use them. It's surprising how behaviour can change. In no time a child will tell an adult off for not doing things properly.
By pass the parents and work on the children but make sure it's positive and good fun.

nanna8 Tue 09-Aug-22 09:52:37

Our 4 were mostly little angels at school and when visiting. Very different at home when they relaxed. A couple of them were right little so and sos . Our grandchildren are all pretty well behaved in comparison. I don’t even remember having to tell any of them off at all. Mind you, the eldest is 27 so maybe I just have a memory issue! None of them ever jumped on sofas but we do have a fairly big house so they would just run around and out to the top decking so plenty of places.

Glorianny Tue 09-Aug-22 10:18:55

I thought my 3 were good when we visited my parents. I've only lately found out some of the things they used to do when they were put to bed. And what my dad used to let them do when my mum and I went shopping!

Madgran77 Tue 09-Aug-22 12:32:25

Ah yes Glorianny I agree re positive approaches, rather than lists of rules, work best. At the same time I can see that maybe the parents need to be clear about any expectations in the OPS scenario.

Madgran77 Tue 09-Aug-22 12:32:50

Glorianny

I thought my 3 were good when we visited my parents. I've only lately found out some of the things they used to do when they were put to bed. And what my dad used to let them do when my mum and I went shopping!

??

Summerlove Tue 09-Aug-22 16:24:50

I wonder how much of the generational differences are from being told “when you’re the parent you’ll make the rules”?

Madgran77 Tue 09-Aug-22 17:47:30

Summerlove

I wonder how much of the generational differences are from being told “when you’re the parent you’ll make the rules”?

No idea but I don't think much really! I never ever said that to my kids nor did my parents to me.

I think each generation has "Parenting Fashions" often led by a few "expert" books! My mum thought Dr Spock was the bees knees ! ( and that phrase was one of hers - what on earth is so special about "bees knees"?!!!) grin

Callistemon21 Tue 09-Aug-22 18:03:38

My mum thought Dr Spock was the bees knees !
So did I!
“Don't be afraid to trust your own common sense.”
And his insistence that parents should show love and affection to their children rather than constant strict discipline

DD bought a book by one of those know-all Nannies - it was so prescriptive and caused her so much stress because DGS was not a text-book baby that I advised her to bin it!

Chewbacca Tue 09-Aug-22 18:12:48

when you’re the parent you’ll make the rules”?

confused I've never heard anyone say that. I have heard "When you're a parent yourself, you'll understand." Is that the same thing?

Madgran77 Tue 09-Aug-22 19:23:34

Chewbacca

^when you’re the parent you’ll make the rules”?^

confused I've never heard anyone say that. I have heard "When you're a parent yourself, you'll understand." Is that the same thing?

I have heard the phrase said Chewbacca but I don't like it.

I don't think the "you'll understand" phrase is the same really - in my experience that is more about understanding that as a parent one never stops worrying about one's offspring, however old they are! smile

Summerlove Tue 09-Aug-22 20:35:28

Perhaps I was the only saucy child whose parents said this then. Although my friends also heard the same from their parents

I also dislike “you’ll understand when you’re a parent”. It’s very invalidating

Hithere Tue 09-Aug-22 21:01:30

No, summerlove, you are not the only one

Jellyroll123 Thu 11-Aug-22 07:56:09

Our first grandchild has arrived and I’m wondering what the etiquette is as regards holding the baby .
Do we wait to be invited to hold the baby or do we ask if we can have a cuddle?
Whilst I have had 4 of my own children everything surrounding the arrival of this baby has been completely different to how things were when I had mine.

Glorianny Thu 11-Aug-22 09:32:12

Jellyroll123

Our first grandchild has arrived and I’m wondering what the etiquette is as regards holding the baby .
Do we wait to be invited to hold the baby or do we ask if we can have a cuddle?
Whilst I have had 4 of my own children everything surrounding the arrival of this baby has been completely different to how things were when I had mine.

Wait to be asked I'd say.Be prepared to listen and learn. As you say things are completely different.
Watch out for Baby-led weaning and fight the urge to shout "She'll choke on that!"
I always think it's funny when mine were little all the older women told me what I should be doing, now I'm older it's the younger ones!

Maliandbryn2 Thu 11-Aug-22 17:18:29

Its ok to establish some rules for your home. Like screaming is for outside, running is for outside, children get the paper plates....

But avoid telling the parents how to parent. You can ask them to help enforce your house rules of course. But avoid saying things like " you need to blah blah blah with your children...." You're family may not return for visits if you start telling them what they should be doing with their own kids.

Also remember, next year they'll be older and things might not be as crazy.

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 17:52:10

My mum always said "when you get your own place you can do as you please" so that is exactly what I do.

My house, my rules; it's something I'm a stickler about.

Winter13 Thu 11-Aug-22 21:42:24

I would be careful singling out your husbands kids and his biological grandchildren. I gathered from your post that you are far more partial toward your own biological children. That is going to show in big ways during your “rules” conversation and will most likely end in hurt feelings and family feud. It sounds like these aren’t you “bonus” kids and grandkids but more of a burden and that is how they will most likely receive this type of criticism/rules. I would discuss with your husband an alternative solution such as everyone (including your own child’s family) get hotel rooms. I am not suggesting that you don’t have a right to have rules in your home but rather saying this is delicate and tricky territory and I would tread as such.

Hetty58 Thu 11-Aug-22 22:04:49

I've had a few problems with one daughter - who is lenient to the point of absurdity with her kids. She seems to expect me to adopt her parenting style (and 'rules' - or lack of) so I've been told off for raising my voice or saying the dreaded 'NO!'.

Last time they stayed, I'd removed the things prone to damage/ruin (e.g. my houseplants went in the shed, my bedroom door was locked - and food items were moved out of reach. I told her that I have my own rules (in my own house) - and I'm not about to have a personality transplant any time soon - so she's welcome to visit, but on my terms!