Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Granddaughter showing preference for other grandmother and ignoring me

(108 Posts)
FloraRose Tue 16-Aug-22 22:24:42

I thought I had a great relationship with my 12 year old granddaughter (GD) who lives near me and I do some caring for.
Recently the other grandma who lives in Australia came to stay for 2 months; she is a cheery person and my granddaughter gets on with her so well that I have been ignored when we are together. They walk along arm in arm, leaving me behind, they laugh and joke together and my GD phones the other grandma (on the new iphone I bought her and she has never called me on it). I try to be upbeat but my heart is breaking, and yes it isnt my imagination - her mother has noticed her withdrawal of affection and tries to help but there is little she can do.
I have one other 10 year old granddaughter in the US who is spoilt and horribly rude to everyone, and she is even hostile to me and my daughter her aunt, so my relationship with the one here was important to me.
I am widowed and utterly sad about what is happening with my girl.

Oldnproud Sun 21-Aug-22 22:43:23

I keep out of the way as much as I can when overseas Grandma manages to visit, and when we are all together, I make a big effort to take a back seat.

I am the lucky one, the one who normally sees dgd several times a week, helping out with childcare. The other Grandma, my DiL's mum, can only visit about once a year, so really needs this time to build a proper relationship with our dgd.

I can see how it must hurt to suddenly feel relegated in your dgd's affections, but it is only for a short time. Try not to let it show, and just go with the flow.

Remember that she is nearly a teenager too, so her affection for you (and for other grandma too if she was around more) is likely to change soon anyway.
If you have always been close, just carry on being you, and you will hopefully come through it with a different but more mature relationship, regardless of how well she gets on with her other grandma.

Callistemon21 Sun 21-Aug-22 22:44:15

It struck a nerve, Lucca!

Goldbeater1 Sun 21-Aug-22 23:34:52

Callistemon21

It struck a nerve, Lucca!

yes it’s an awful feeling when the time starts running out. I once found myself in tears half way through my holiday because we were at an airport and I saw someone else saying goodbye. How people have managed being prevented from visiting due to Covid I can’t imagine.

Callistemon21 Sun 21-Aug-22 23:38:56

I had to keep a box of tissues handy when the news was showing reunions at Sydney Airport when they were allowed to visit after the severe lockdowns.

Goldbeater1 Mon 22-Aug-22 07:02:57

Callistemon21

I had to keep a box of tissues handy when the news was showing reunions at Sydney Airport when they were allowed to visit after the severe lockdowns.

Me too!

M0nica Mon 22-Aug-22 21:46:19

We live a four hour drive from our DGC. My companion grandmother lives 2 miles away from DGC. Whenever we visit, she stays away to make sure we get all the quality time with our grandchildren. This is despite the fact that she effectively provides us with free bed and breakfast during our visit. She is a star!

Sara1954 Tue 23-Aug-22 07:41:57

The oldest granddaughter who lives with us, has other grandparents about five miles away, the grandmother is a nice person and my granddaughter loves her.
My daughter has encouraged contact, making things as simple as possible, she is welcome here, I would be happy to go out, but despite all of this, she hasn’t seen her since last summer holiday.
I know she loves our girl, and we really don’t understand why she keeps her distance.
We assume it’s something to do with her son, but she has given up a close relationship with a lovely girl.
She should maybe read some of the sad stories on here.