Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Do I approach my son and DIL about their lifestyle and parenting issues?

(104 Posts)
utopiarun Mon 26-Sep-22 18:10:04

Hi, I am a 61 year old grampa with a wonderful 4 year old gs. GS has been acting out a lot lately, very cranky, having bathroom accidents and can be very nasty to my wife (not his natural grandma) and grampa has to do everything. This upsets my wife a lot as she acts like a grandmother to him. We watched him over the weekend and it was tough. My wife had a stern talk with me over all the things she thinks are wrong in his life. Namely his parents. His mother likes to go out to concerts (she's a bit of a free spirit) and both my son and DIL like to go out, which means we may have to watch him once every two weeks, sometimes overnight. They have a lot of cats and sometimes the house can be smelly and they have liquor bottles in plain site although I don't sense they have a problem. Most of the food they give him is processed, chicken nuggets, french toast sticks, etc. They have very demanding jobs, she is a nurse and my son works very long hours at his job, so much of the time only one parent is home and I don't think they eat together at the same table. I really don't sense the child is in danger and he is extremely bright, and most of the time has a good attitude, does well in school and loves to run around. My wife says that they don't put him first and that I and my ex-wife (loving grandma who also has issues with my son and DIL) should talk to them. I am hesitant as I am afraid to cause a rift and I would help my kids out any way I can. My wife has worked in education for many years and says she has seen these signs before and it can be dangerous. I think he rebellious behavior is not unusual for a 4 year old who knows how to test us and we need to be strong and consistent. His parents are aware of his outbursts as he can act out to them as well. They give him a time-out when it's warranted. The question (sorry this is so long) is do we confront my son and DIL about their lifestyle or just bite the bullet and enjoy the time we have with our grandson?

OnwardandUpward Thu 29-Sep-22 08:45:29

I think unless abuse is taking place, you would probably do best to say nothing and enjoy what you do have. There are plenty of us who do not get to have that.

Your wife, having worked with children will know the signs of abuse and if they are not there, then really it's up to parents to do the best they can. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to work full time with a young child.

Esmay Thu 29-Sep-22 10:49:08

A big NO from me !

In the past I've worried myself silly about my first granddaughter being unable to read and write .
I tried to say something .
It did not go down well .
Any attempt from my daughter was met with tears and tantrums .
She employed tears and tantrums over every other aspect of her parent's lives too .
My daughter found her really hard to cope with .
Her partner was in complete denial and made things worse .

And I've found my grandson really violent - I've had to stop him from hurling ornaments at my father's china cabinets and even at the head of my second granddaughter .

My son and his partner left childcare to her father, who is a very nice man , but inexperienced in looking after children and scared of offending his parents . On one occasion he was banned from looking after his grandson .
Any criticism was met with extreme hostility on their part .

Things have finally calmed down -
my granddaughter finally learnt to read and write , because her teachers read the riot act to her parents .And teachers also presented the parents of my grandson with an ultimatum about his appalling behaviour .

oodles Thu 29-Sep-22 12:27:20

From what you say yr wife's children were brought them up in the way she thought best and they were trou led children who needed therapy and meds. Maybe not a great advert for her metgkds
Teachers should be aware of signs of abuse but are not necessarily experts in child development, children aged 4 are typically too young for school anyway. If she taught teenagers or 7 year Olds she should be good at spotting genuine signs of neglect. I suspect grandchild picks up somehow on her disapproval.
Why the obsession with wife going out, would she be happy for the dad to go out, children have 2 parents. She needs to make your place a happy one if you are happy to have him over.
Is she jealous that he is taking up your time maybe?
I had pressure from my I laws because of my children's behavior, which was perfectly normal children's behavior, I wasn't going to hit them for example. 2 of their sons grew up violent under that regime, now exs on ly way of dealing with a disagreement with me was violence, he grew up thinking that that was the way to control someone who didn't do what he wanted
I'm afraid interference just meant that they never visited alone until they were old enough to choose to. Mil tried to get me on her side criticizing my sister in law about her children, I refused to get involved and if she tried to do the same with her it didn't work euther
Hard for you but she needs to wind her neck in.
Most children that sort of age have a limited diet by choice, and I'd much rather that the parents spent time with him than doing deep cleaning

ExDancer Thu 29-Sep-22 15:21:46

Utopian its beginning to sound as though YOU are the one who is itching to interfere.
What do you imagine will happen if you do poke your nose in and criticise their childcare?
Firstly your son and his wife will not take a blind bit of notice.
Secondly you will lose your grandson and become estranged.

Does he go to Nursery/Pre School? Next year, if you're in the UK, he'll be at school and you'll see less of him anyway.

Madgran77 Thu 29-Sep-22 19:45:57

utopiarun

Hi, again thanks for the comments and reassurance. Some background, my wife has 2 children of her own, both had troubled childhoods (therapy, meds, etc) but one is a doctor now and the other a police officer. She does spend quality time with my gs, will take him for ice cream, does crafts and puts puzzles together with him so she does connect with him. It's just that when grampa is there he wants me. My son was the same way with me. My gs loves his daddy and mommy but sometimes can act out to his mother. My wife sees that as he doesn't have a good connection with women and that will be an issue down the road. last week he said he didn't want me! When I started chasing him he laughed and all was good. To be honest my wife had issues of abandonment her whole life so when my gs says he doesn't want her she gets sad. He has issues with transitioning from dad to grampa etc but is that abnormal? The decision I made yesterday is that I am not going to say anything to them. I know my wife won't, she respects the boundaries. She is a good woman and loves my gs, she just is hanging on to this. BTW, my son hasn't said a word about his wife going out. He seems to be OK we have a good relationship and I told him if he needs to talk I am here. Thanks again everyone!

I think posters need to read the OPs latest comment as quoted above before commenting further really

utopiarun Thu 29-Sep-22 21:10:06

hi all, right now all is OK, my wife said she is sorry she hurt me and will go by my wishes. Just to keep everyone informed, I see my grandson every weekend, usually on Sunday for a few hours. Sometimes my wife gets involved, sometimes not. The issues start when he is tired and cranky and can be a little belligerent towards both of us, mostly her. My time with him is the best of the week is is just a fun kid to be with.

Madgran77 Fri 30-Sep-22 07:39:15

My time with him is the best of the week is is just a fun kid to be with

Great!

ExDancer Fri 30-Sep-22 10:14:45

Utopiarun some of your text makes me think you're in the States where things are a little different. For example you say 'act out' where we usually say 'act up', or 'watch' where we'd usually say 'mind' or 'childmind'. 'Mommy' and 'mom' are becoming more common in UK now, as is 'bathroom' instead of 'toilet' but together they give the impression of America.
Anyway, if this is the case and if you are in the States where I believe the age for starting school is 6 or 7years, your poor wife is going to have a few more years of feeling left out. I hope she can become reconciled to this because nothing's going to change his attitude and speaking to the parents can't help.
Does the boy have other family members to interact with? How does he behave with them?

Hithere Fri 30-Sep-22 11:40:16

Kindergarten here starts at 5 years old, some schools offer optional pre-k at 4

6 is 1st grade, 7 is 2and grade (out of total 12 grades)

When a person is cranky, it is harder to deal with- adults and kids, period
It is unrealistic to think a child won't have difficult moments

utopiarun Fri 30-Sep-22 16:05:16

hi, yes i am in the US. he loves playing with his "girlfriend" and his cousins. Yes he can act up at times but mostly when he is tired. Thank you for all of your support and have a good weekend.

FarNorth Sat 01-Oct-22 14:10:40

That's really good to hear utopiarun.
Your grandson sounds like a totally lovely, normal 4 year old.

BlueBelle Sat 01-Oct-22 14:23:26

Well done great to hear of a fairly well handled end to a problem
Good luck for the future

utopiarun Mon 06-Mar-23 19:36:15

Hi, I'm back! Sorry, but I need a little support. So a couple of times a week, my wife goes over to my son and DIL house early in the morning to take my GS to school (pre-k). She has to get there around 6:30AM as my DIL starts work at 7. Most of the time it is OK, he can be a little testy in the morning, but this past Friday he kicked her and told her he hates her and doesn't want to come by our house. She was visibly upset and crying ("I don't need this", etc) and I texted my son about what happened and went a little far and criticized some of what we feel is an issue (too many screens, not enough physical interaction with my GS etc). I wanted to support my wife. She was thankful that I sent the message. My son was upset more that my GS was acting badly so he had my GS call my wife to apologize for being bad (he will be 5 in 8 days) and all went well. My wife accepted it etc. Saturday my wife started railing about how terrible they are as parents and they are "grossly negligent". Again, he is well fed, smart (reading 2nd grade level) and always has clean clothes on. He is 5 so I expect him to be grumpy at times. Yesterday it got worse and my wife and I got into a screaming match. I am just floored that she feels they are so incredibly incompetent and any time I counter her she will yell that she has been working with children for 40 years and knows the signs. I just walked away. When I went to pick up my GS. he wanted to come by my house and play and we both played with him. My anxiety is through the roof because I suffer from it and anything that "rings the anxiety bell" will not go away for days or weeks. I told my wife that we just have to do the best we can for my GS and unless there is a clear pattern of abuse (which there is absolutely none) we will say nothing. The solution to the problem is that I will be going to take him to school in the mornings and she can pick him up in the afternoon. Not sure if anyone wants to respond, I just had to vent here.

MercuryQueen Mon 06-Mar-23 20:40:11

Your wife seems to be pushing a lot of her emotional well being on a preschooler. Yes, your grandson acted out and was rude, but her reaction was over the top, imo. He’s a preschooler. Big emotions, learning control, and how he impacts others around him.

Frankly, it sounds as though your wife disapproves or your DIL because she’s not doing things as your wife thinks she ought to. How often DIL is out is none of your wife’s business. If you don’t want to babysit, fair enough. Decline. But obviously their parenting and marriage works for them, so MYOB.

Unsolicited advice is criticism. The only thing that will change is how welcome you and your wife are in your son’s family.

Glorianny Mon 06-Mar-23 20:55:11

I find it extraordinary that someone who has worked with children for 40years can be reduced to tears by a stroppy 5year old. Surely she has been the focus of much worse behaviour over those years.
I suspect the problem is your wife. Perhaps she doesn't really want to take on the level of care she has and she is becoming stressed. You need to have a real talk with her about this, without becoming angry.
It may be that she would prefer not to have regular contact.
I don't think there is much wrong with your GS and his family. Maybe they aren't perfect parents, but he is loved and cared for.

Norah Mon 06-Mar-23 21:04:45

You're early 60s and he's 5 - time to quit caring for GC. Your wife can't abide the pressure from a 5 year old. If this escalates much more I predict she'll be cut away and "have no idea why" (a usual silly response).

Norah Mon 06-Mar-23 21:07:29

MercuryQueen

Your wife seems to be pushing a lot of her emotional well being on a preschooler. Yes, your grandson acted out and was rude, but her reaction was over the top, imo. He’s a preschooler. Big emotions, learning control, and how he impacts others around him.

Frankly, it sounds as though your wife disapproves or your DIL because she’s not doing things as your wife thinks she ought to. How often DIL is out is none of your wife’s business. If you don’t want to babysit, fair enough. Decline. But obviously their parenting and marriage works for them, so MYOB.

Unsolicited advice is criticism. The only thing that will change is how welcome you and your wife are in your son’s family.

This ^

Estrangement is on if your wife doesn't keep her opinions silent.

Herefornow Thu 09-Mar-23 23:01:06

Your wife needs to get over herself and stop fixating on someone else's 5 year old.

Hetty58 Thu 09-Mar-23 23:33:01

utopiarun, confront them? No! Have a good discussion with your wife about the perceived problems - yes!

Madgran77 Fri 10-Mar-23 14:51:39

This really is your wife's problem! And I really think you know that.

I think it was right to tell your son about the behaviour. But why did you then start criticising the parenting? . Because you did that it was not longer a "Team Talk" about your GS, how to support him to learn etc" ..it became a critique of "Parenting Faults" as perceived by you and/or your wife. Did you say those things to pacify your wife? If so you need to be honest with yourself and make sure that that never happens again.

But in the end this problem \IS your wife's. And estrangement or very low contact will follow if she does not back off and if you continue to "pacify" her at the expense of your relationship with your son's family (if that is what you are doing)

OurKid1 Fri 10-Mar-23 15:24:49

I'm just thinking that the real problem is your wife, not the behaviour of an apparently normal 4/5 year old.

Hithere Fri 10-Mar-23 16:18:53

Op

Your wife's behavior is horrible

Hithere Fri 10-Mar-23 16:42:00

Op

Your wife and you need to apologize for overstepping and back off 100 miles

GrammyGrammy Fri 10-Mar-23 16:43:54

Your 'wife' is a danger to your family. She is wanting to control and coerce you and drive a wedge between you and your son and grandson. I would show her the door. This has gone on for months now. When your son cuts you off because she has caused it then you will left wondering what happened. Your 'wife' will have total control of you then and have you all to herself. Are you willing to lose your son and grandson? Never tolerate even a slight criticism of your family again by her. Not even once. She is dangerous.

GrammyGrammy Fri 10-Mar-23 16:45:06

And personally I wouldn't leave your grandson alone with her. She has serious issues.