Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Do I approach my son and DIL about their lifestyle and parenting issues?

(104 Posts)
utopiarun Mon 26-Sep-22 18:10:04

Hi, I am a 61 year old grampa with a wonderful 4 year old gs. GS has been acting out a lot lately, very cranky, having bathroom accidents and can be very nasty to my wife (not his natural grandma) and grampa has to do everything. This upsets my wife a lot as she acts like a grandmother to him. We watched him over the weekend and it was tough. My wife had a stern talk with me over all the things she thinks are wrong in his life. Namely his parents. His mother likes to go out to concerts (she's a bit of a free spirit) and both my son and DIL like to go out, which means we may have to watch him once every two weeks, sometimes overnight. They have a lot of cats and sometimes the house can be smelly and they have liquor bottles in plain site although I don't sense they have a problem. Most of the food they give him is processed, chicken nuggets, french toast sticks, etc. They have very demanding jobs, she is a nurse and my son works very long hours at his job, so much of the time only one parent is home and I don't think they eat together at the same table. I really don't sense the child is in danger and he is extremely bright, and most of the time has a good attitude, does well in school and loves to run around. My wife says that they don't put him first and that I and my ex-wife (loving grandma who also has issues with my son and DIL) should talk to them. I am hesitant as I am afraid to cause a rift and I would help my kids out any way I can. My wife has worked in education for many years and says she has seen these signs before and it can be dangerous. I think he rebellious behavior is not unusual for a 4 year old who knows how to test us and we need to be strong and consistent. His parents are aware of his outbursts as he can act out to them as well. They give him a time-out when it's warranted. The question (sorry this is so long) is do we confront my son and DIL about their lifestyle or just bite the bullet and enjoy the time we have with our grandson?

pascal30 Fri 10-Mar-23 17:20:10

Your wife is going to cause serious problems if you are not very careful. She clearly doesn't understand young children and probably doesn't actually want your grandchild staying with you. Your son and DIL deserve time off but maybe other solutions ie paid childcare need to be looked at before estrangement happens.. or you need to be firmer with your wife ...

lyleLyle Fri 10-Mar-23 17:44:10

OP, are you 100% sure your wife doesn’t have more serious psych issues?I am asking because her responses to what is otherwise fairly normal bratty behavior of young children seem so disproportionate to the offenses. It doesn’t appear from what you described that she is well from a mental and emotional standpoint. You say she is experienced and educated when it comes to children, but she doesn’t appear to have much knowledge of basic early childhood development and behavior. I do not doubt what you say about her background, but I don’t think that a trained professional would so blatantly ignore the teachings to this extent unless there were some serious mental issues going on.

For now, it would be better for the child to cease the current arrangement. She doesn’t seem stable or able to handle it. You don’t want her to lose herself one day with your grandchild. And do more to defend your son and dil when she puts them down to you. You have more to lose in alienating them than you do speaking up to her.

welbeck Fri 10-Mar-23 19:00:55

how long have you been married