Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Playing the waiting game (grandchild due)

(85 Posts)
Newbiegran Sun 12-Jul-20 09:43:26

I'm a soon to be (and anxious) first time gran. Due date was 11 July - DD had sweep on Thursday and is booked for induction (routinely; midwife said prob wont get that far) on 23. July. She's 200 miles away and I am thinking and wondering about her constantly. She was born 8 days late and I recall my mother really annoying me by ringing up every day asking Have you had it yet? Even though I promised I would call as soon as it happened - so I am very loath to get in touch with DD (we use Whatsapp fairly regularly) as I guess she is waiting too. I find myself constantly checking my phone, worrying if she is OK .. any tips on how to handle this waiting game (especially at a distance?)

Lolo81 Sun 12-Jul-20 11:14:34

Try and busy your mind doing other things? Maybe a book or a tv series? Or some organising you’ve been meaning to get to. Well done you for putting your DD and her needs first, not every expectant Grandparent can do that and I’m sure DD will appreciate the fact that you’ve been so respectful and considerate.

luluaugust Sun 12-Jul-20 12:32:06

Just because your MIL annoyed you I don't see that stops you speaking to your DD occasionally over the next however many days or she may phone you for a chat. Glad you have WhatsApp to get some news. It is always an anxious time after the due date so yes keep as busy as you can.

luluaugust Sun 12-Jul-20 12:33:14

ps good luck with the new arrival

Newbiegran Tue 14-Jul-20 13:59:37

Thanks! Baby was due last Saturday -daughter still around on Whatsapp - still waiting smile

Newbiegran Tue 21-Jul-20 12:35:44

If baby doesn't come today or tomorrow then daughter has appointment to be induced Thursday - which she's not looking forward to as she has heard it's not pleasant - and the baby is very big. Sigh. Still waiting...

Missfoodlove Tue 21-Jul-20 13:39:13

Our daughter is due to have a C section on 28/7.
We are praying there is no early labour?
My heart leaps every time the phone rings.
We are going on Monday to look after our lovely granddaughter while she’s in hospital but don’t want an emergency dash down beforehand.

Lolo81 Tue 21-Jul-20 14:31:03

Hope everything goes well for your daughter! Just wanted to chime in and say I was induced with both of mine and was terrified because, like your daughter I’d heard it was awful. Although I have nothing to compare it with, I managed both of mine with just gas and air and my labours weren’t as bad as I’d worried about. I had the pessaries to start contractions and had my daughter after 12 hours and my son came after only 4 hours, so if it comes up please reassure her that inducement isn’t always as terrible as it’s portrayed to be.
Let us know how she gets on? And congrats on your impending GC x

AGAA4 Tue 21-Jul-20 16:55:07

I know it can be a worrying time Newbiegran but it will be so exciting when your Grandchild arrives.

Hope all goes well for your daughter. Enjoy your time with the new baby. There is nothing quite as wonderful as holding him or her for the first time.

MamaBear20 Tue 21-Jul-20 22:53:54

What an exciting time! I’m sure your daughter appreciates you not asking her constantly if the baby is here yet, but maybe you could call her and see if there’s anything she needs to make her more comfortable, or distract her with other conversation.

SueDonim Tue 21-Jul-20 23:41:21

Good luck for the new arrival!

My medic dd has been working on the Mat Ward and the induction they use is very gentle. The mums don’t even have to stay in hospital if they live nearby, they can go home until they feel ready to be on the labour ward. smile

Newbiegran Wed 22-Jul-20 06:45:07

Just woke up to this message: Came into hospital 9pm after contractions since evening before
Since then they’ve said my temperature and blood pressure is too high to be in birth centre and worried I might have infection so been tested for corona etc etc
Just had Pethidine and they have artificially broken waters to speed things up

Jane10 Wed 22-Jul-20 08:49:20

An exciting but worrying day ahead for you. I know what it's like! I well remember having to sit at home waiting and worrying. However, with DD it was alright in the end. I'm sure that this time tomorrow you will have had happy news. Please let us know how it goes and whether you you have a granddaughter or a grandson.

vickya Wed 22-Jul-20 09:14:34

I was induced for first chaild as it went over the date they said due but I had a long cycle. Second time I held on and had child 10 days over, at home, lovely. That child had hers at home too. But first induction was with pethadine, which was lovely! Induction meant strong contractions, 1973 so maybe changed, but pethadine VERY nice ;) . All the best for DD, baby and all.

Newbiegran Wed 22-Jul-20 09:17:52

So thank goodness for WhatsApp! Latest: "Looking to see if dilated enough to keep going with me labouring or if they want to put artificial drip on to induce faster

Coz blood pressure is so high from the infection they’ve said only way of lowering that is for the baby to born so wouldn’t want to wait ages and ages"

And yes - she said Pethidine was good! And had managed to sleep for an hour, first time since Sunday night. And they have finally allowed her partner into the room

Beanie654321 Wed 22-Jul-20 09:30:04

Congratulations and good luck xxx

B9exchange Wed 22-Jul-20 09:45:57

I'm sure we are all thinking of you and waiting for news, please don't get so excited by the new arrival that you forget to tell us! grin

JdotJ Wed 22-Jul-20 09:47:02

Not long now. Hope all ok

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 22-Jul-20 09:55:22

It's so hard when waiting,remember it well. Hope you get some good news soon!

Craftycat Wed 22-Jul-20 10:11:53

I was induced with both (10lb plus)
Babies. No problem at all & nice happy deliveries.
I how it all goes to plan for her.

sandelf Wed 22-Jul-20 10:55:17

The positive is your daughter is healthy and you are not having the worries of coping with premature birth. Just take it a day at a time - I'm sure she is in the same state.

LadyJus Wed 22-Jul-20 10:58:28

How exciting! You're being so calm and thoughtful, I know I would be outside the delivery room, pacing up and down like an expectant father in the olden days! My 17th is due in a few months and I never tire of meeting my new miracles <3

Newbiegran Wed 22-Jul-20 11:10:35

LOL I wont forget to tell you! And I am not calm- I think I am more worried than she is because at least she is where the action is - I am 200 miles away worrying what infection she has. (An infection she never realised she had) Anyway.. still hanging on...

GrammarGrandma Wed 22-Jul-20 11:48:00

This is a really nail-biting cliff hanger! I hope all goes well.

Cagsy Wed 22-Jul-20 11:50:53

Hope things go really well for you all - and that you get to be together soon flowers