Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Welcome to new members

(944 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 16-Sep-15 14:24:57

If you're new to Gransnet please do make yourself a brew and come introduce yourself on this thread. Hope you enjoy chatting in the forums and that you find it useful, informative, supportive and entertaining. smile

JaneEyre70 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:47:40

Hi all, I'm new here. Decided that I'm too sensitive for Mumsnet so I'm hoping that it's a bit more mellow on here smile. I'm 46, have 3 lovely daughters and 3 very little grandchildren. I adore being a nanny (or ning-ning as I'm called). It's been a total wonder although I get worn out very quickly these days and am very grateful to have had my 3 in my early 20s. I live in rural Gloucestershire and have a wonderful cocker spaniel that likes long walks in the countryside.

Usisyavillage Fri 17-Feb-17 07:38:25

Shysal, thank you for welcoming me yesterday. Re what I do in the village now Please read my reply to MOnica as I have covered it there. --Also, please Google = Usisya Village -Malawi and see this beautiful place --only a few hours flight from UK. from Justin/"Usisyavillage"

shysal Fri 17-Feb-17 09:57:39

Welcome to GN JaneEyre70 flowers. We (not I) have our moments on here too. I avoid any contentious threads! Enjoy!

PamQS Mon 20-Feb-17 11:31:46

Hello, I joined yesterday. Granny of one 2 year old, with another grandchild due in May. I didn't expect the overwhelming love I feel for my grandchild!

shysal Mon 20-Feb-17 11:43:43

Welcome PamQSflowers. Yes, being a grandparent is wonderful, and you can hand them back! I hope you will enjoy GN.

Karanlouise Tue 21-Feb-17 11:31:40

Hello, I am new to this forum, I'm not actually a gran but I am the right age for gransnet. smile I live in Bournemouth, Dorset. I being near the love the sea. Look forward to meeting some new people on line. ?

Charleygirl Tue 21-Feb-17 16:10:13

Welcome KarenLouise I was wondering if you had found this thread as I saw your first one! A lovely part of the world where you live but I prefer it there spring and summer!

Charleygirl Tue 21-Feb-17 16:13:59

My apologies, I cannot read or spell KaranLouise.

Karanlouise Tue 21-Feb-17 19:35:29

Thanks Charleygirl. Spring and summer are my favourite times too. Spring flowers are starting to bloom now and I saw a lovely carpet of purple crocuses when I was walking today. Have a good evening. ☺P.s don't worry about the spelling, it happens all the time, thanks for noticing though.

bibbin Wed 22-Feb-17 00:46:20

Hi, I'm new here, Hello to all the nanny's, g'mas' grandmother's, nanna's...and whichever other names you go by.....
I have 3 grand daughters and 1 great grand daughter.
My Grand daughters call me Nanny or Nan..My Great grand daughter calls me Nanna.( I didnt fancy being a grandma yet ).
At one point one of my Grand daughters used to call me 'Nanny putor' ( as i often used my computor ), and her other nanny was 'Nanny car'..yep! she drives and i don't !.. smile.

rosesarered Wed 22-Feb-17 10:36:19

Welcome to the forum, hope that you enjoy the threads, and start new threads yourselves about any subject that you like.Look forward to hearing from you.smile

Karanlouise Wed 22-Feb-17 20:36:21

Hi Bibbin, hope you are enjoying gransnet, nanny puter is a great name and it made me smile. ☺

GrannySmiffy01 Sat 25-Feb-17 11:22:22

I'm a new member, it all looks interesting so far! Re Names, I tried to be Granny Smith at start, but it just didn't stick (for me!), so I became Grandma, which I'm happy with. As a newbie, I am struggling with a few acronyms though. I get DiL, SiL, GD and GS, but what are DGC, DD, DH? Is there a glossary of useful acronyms that I need to consult?

shysal Sat 25-Feb-17 11:30:47

Welcome to all the latest newbies flowers. GrannySmiffy01 most of the abbreviations can be found under the Acronyms heading at the top of each thread. The first 'D' is usually for Dear, Darling or Dratted depending on how you want to interpret it!

grannylyn65 Sun 26-Feb-17 09:54:53

Shysal, dratted grin

grannylyn65 Sun 26-Feb-17 09:55:34

Don't know how to do 'bold'!

Parklife1 Sun 26-Feb-17 16:41:52

I'm new but have posted on an estrangement thread and am now stepping back a little from that.

mommabearuk Sun 26-Feb-17 20:05:12

Hi,

I am grandma to three but am Kinship Carer of one so joint parental role/grandparent - hence my user name as it is what she calls me. Granddad is granddad but I can be grandma or Mommabear or 'her' ( teen so we are having fun the second time around). 'Normal' grandma too my other two who are a lot younger and from a different child.

shysal Mon 27-Feb-17 08:45:19

Welcome to both newest members flowers. I hope you will enjoy all that Gransnet has to offer.
Parklife1, it is sometimes wise to step back a bit! I hope nobody was unkind to you.
mommabearuk, You have your hands full, but hope you have lots of fun.

Karanlouise Mon 27-Feb-17 13:06:21

Grannylyn65 you type an asterisk before and after text to make it bold. Hope you have a good day. ☺

grannylyn65 Tue 28-Feb-17 10:25:03

Karan ?

mymadeupname Wed 01-Mar-17 22:47:24

Hello everyone.
This is my 2nd post. My first post was to resurrect the inspiring post by Susan Bradley entitled 'the end of an affair', which (unlikely as it might sound to some people) is about giving up smoking.

I will probably post updates and if anyone else wants to stop smoking along with me maybe we can support each other on the way to freedom. Thank you for listening and have a lovely evening.

shysal Thu 02-Mar-17 08:55:27

Welcome mymadeupname.flowers Good luck with giving up smoking. Your health will benefit greatly! I hope you will find some support here. Enjoy all that GN has to offer.

lilypollen Sat 11-Mar-17 15:49:20

Hello all, at last I've got round to signing up. I have granddaughter 4 and her brother 16 months. 2 sons and DH. I hope to make some useful contributions but am not online all the time as I am a total technophobe!

Karanlouise Sat 11-Mar-17 19:19:19

Hello and welcome lilypollen. I hope you enjoy gransnet and that it helps with the technophobia. smile