Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

I'm a newby.

(190 Posts)
bumblebee123 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:13:22

Hello, Good Morning & HI. I am a newby here but, I hasten to add, how can I be classed as a newby at 80 years old? Things have been a bit rough for me recently and at the moment I am imprisoned in my own house. However, the warder, my wife, is a gem and looks after me very well. I hope she reads this then I may get an extra biscuit for tea. She has me to contend with, a budgie, and a big dog, both of whom are as old as me. The dog, Benny, is a rescue dog and is quite a handful. Benny is a Staffy and is big, black, hefty and barks at everyone he sees but only because he wants to make a fuss of them. People of course don't know this and give him a wide berth................ AAHHH, some cheese sarnies have arrived so I will pause here for my lunch and play with Joey after which I will return and tell you more. Bye for now, Brian.

Bellanonna Wed 29-Mar-17 10:36:33

Bumblebee, everyone has access to every page. Worldwide.
Gransnet has no echelons.
Shysal very kindly welcomes newcomers when they first arrive.
I do remember Miki and Griff

Elegran Wed 29-Mar-17 10:46:40

If you are looking for more men posters to talk to, bumblebee, don't shoot the messenger who points you towards one!

bumblebee123 Wed 29-Mar-17 14:05:07

Being a newby here I don't know what is what or whom is whom and as yet I don't know how the system works. I am trying to learn. I am only a mere man. However, I AM BEGINING TO LEARN.

mcem Wed 29-Mar-17 14:42:01

You've had good advice bumble.
Look at the list of active threads, choose one that might interest you and just post a relevant comment.
Don't confine yourself to one thread.
Don't feel obliged to go on introducing yourself as a newby - seems to me you're now an established poster.
Do you read other threads at all or do you feel 'safer' sticking to the one you started?
Explore a bit more and you'll find things more interesting.

Elegran Wed 29-Mar-17 14:53:30

Here is Grandads shed. www.gransnet.com/forums//forums/grandads_shed/1195743-Grandads-shed You could try posting something on there and seeing whether any grandads are around to reply. Mostly they just join in the general chats, and don't stay in the ghetto shed.

Jalima Wed 29-Mar-17 15:38:23

bumblebee it seems as if you like standing in the porch and never going into the party smile

There are lots of interesting people in other rooms on other threads from all around the world - male and female although we could do with more men who have something interesting to add.

Elegran Wed 29-Mar-17 15:48:25

If you stand in the porch and wait for people to come out and chat, you could get very bored, particularly if you specify that you want them to be men! They have invited you into the warm, it is up to you to now to go in and see what is going on.

callgirl1 Wed 29-Mar-17 22:11:04

I remember Dickie Valentine, Bert Weedon AND Mikki and Griff, cos I`m another old `in!
Bumblebee, your budgie looks just like my Grandma`s budgie, his name was Jimmy Sutcliffe. He used to say his name and address, but it came out as "Jimmy Sutcliffe, 839, Bury Road, Bam," he never could manage Bamford!

callgirl1 Wed 29-Mar-17 22:11:37

Old `in, not in!

callgirl1 Wed 29-Mar-17 22:12:59

Still came up as in, try again, old `un, hooray!

bumblebee123 Mon 24-Apr-17 12:07:20

Yesterday,Sunday, was my birthday, I was 81. It was such a disappointing day.........I wanted to be 21 grin.

Greenfinch Mon 24-Apr-17 12:11:10

My FiL used to turn ages around on birthdays.So actually you were 18 !

bumblebee123 Mon 24-Apr-17 12:15:42

Elegran, I have been in and seen what is going on. If anything interests me then I will add my thoughts to the subject. Have you not seen them?
Just going to stand on the porch. Think I'll paint it while I'm there. smile.

Elegran Mon 24-Apr-17 12:20:34

Be prepared for someone to dislike the colour you choose! (It's just like home, come to think of it!)

bumblebee123 Mon 24-Apr-17 12:22:11

I was curious to know who organized this group and who runs it because I am so impressed. I like lots of humour.
Did you hear about the tomcat that got lost one night after a session on the tiles? wink.

bumblebee123 Mon 24-Apr-17 12:27:23

Hey Greenfinch, LOVE IT. Yippee, I'm 18.
That was a quick reply. Top marks to you. You made me smile.
grin

bumblebee123 Mon 24-Apr-17 12:36:29

Hello Callgirl1, when I saw your address as Bamford I thought for a while you lived in the Peak District but I guess it is Bury.
Must tell you something about Dickie Valentine and others later. To that list you can also add Lonnie Donegan. Everybody must have heard of Lonnie.
Jimmy Thompson was a film star/entertainer and appeared in three Carry On films.

bumblebee123 Mon 24-Apr-17 12:44:35

Going to feed my face and Joey. Back in a hour. Should that be an hour. Back in 60 minutes. smile

bumblebee123 Mon 24-Apr-17 14:07:30

Joey and I shared a cheese sarnie with salad cream. Going into the garden now with Benny.

shysal Mon 24-Apr-17 18:21:17

Belated happy birthday to you Bumblebee. I did remember when it was yours and Roy Orbison's, but don't always know the current day's date!

Bellanonna Mon 24-Apr-17 18:47:07

Wow what a lovely cake from Shysal. You going to share it bumblebee?
I used to love Lonnie Donegal. I had quite a few of his records. I can only remember Grand Coolie Dam, but there were lots of others. A unique kind if music, skiffle.

bumblebee123 Tue 25-Apr-17 08:34:31

Hey Shysal, that indeed is a delicious cake. Did you bake it? smile I have had a large portion of it already but you are all invited round to help finish it off, in other words, 'scoff the lot'.
Bella, you must remember, 'My old man's a dustman', that was one of his favourites.

Bellanonna Tue 25-Apr-17 08:46:48

Yes, probably his most popular one. Have also remembered Putting on the Agony, Putting on the Style, Cumberland Gap, Dont you Rock me Daddy-o. There was also one about bedposts and chewing gum. I wonder if his music is still available? My 45 rpm versions disappeared tears ago. No doubt DM threw them out when I left home.

Bellanonna Tue 25-Apr-17 08:47:24

Years ago

bumblebee123 Tue 25-Apr-17 09:27:05

Mcem, yes I do feel like sticking to the one I started. I had a bad fall last year and now have difficulty moving around and find it rather painful sitting at the computer. I have a special cushion to sit on which is on the settee. My wife also bought me a wireless controlled keyboard and mouse which I can use at a distance. There is a problem seeing the writing clearly from the settee to where the monitor is situated. I have to move my spectacles outwards to magnify the writing on the screen even when it is set at large. I can sign in and go straight to the forum I use. Searching through other forums is rather hard work for me. Occasionally I do sit up to my computer to look through other forums but time doing that is of limitation as the doctor has informed me to keep legs raised. If my method of communication is not acceptable to you then I will sadly terminate my membership.