Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Soops cosy kitchen for kind peoples and precious pets !

(1001 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Tue 14-Feb-17 12:13:03

All ready for business...pull up a chair smile

grannysyb Fri 24-Feb-17 11:29:58

Today is housecleaning day which I hate! Just had coffee with one small biscuit, no cake here at the moment, (sigh). DH has gone to prune fruit trees on our allotment. Lovely day here but much colder. Envying everyone with canine friends, we lost ou lovely Great Dane two years ago.

Charleygirl Fri 24-Feb-17 12:20:10

My washing is drying outside for the first time this year- heavy stuff such as towels which would take a while to dry indoors- does not go well with plaster dust.

The electricians may be finished next Thursday- cannot wait because the noise is horrendous.

Greyduster Fri 24-Feb-17 12:34:35

House cleaning here too but we did have cake - I needed something comforting this morning. Just finished cleaning bedrooms and the bathroom, and washed the floor. Went to pour the water out of the bucket into the toilet - and dropped it! Spent ages mopping up water and trying to dry out that which had gone under the vanity unit! Then came downstairs muttering and found DH, who had volunteered to do the ground floor, doing a jigsaw in the conservatory! "Sorry I got distracted!" was his response. Well, he is out this afternoon, so I think I might have to find a distraction ........ taking his jigsaw to bits, maybe?

Greenfinch Fri 24-Feb-17 13:01:07

Your DH sounds just like me greyduster. My excuse is that I have to finish my GN book club book by the end of the month grin

cornergran Fri 24-Feb-17 14:45:36

Bit of a relapse energy-wise today, so I've done - nothing. Just had some very nice broccoli, cauliflower and blue cheese soup courtesy of the soup maker. Lovely suny day so am about to have a short walk, sure it will do me good. We've family birthdays this weekend, definitely tagging along, they aren't allowed to enjoy themselves without me. grin

Charley we've found electricians are the worst of the bunch, they do make a noise, so much dust and somehow don't do a lot of clearing up after themselves. One told me once it is because on a building site someone always comes along afterwards and sorts out the mess they leave, hmm, needs a re-think in a home environment.

Right, off for my walk before I talk myself out of it. Take care everyone.

soop Fri 24-Feb-17 15:59:09

Hello and welcome to bumblebee123 and Benny. You have the silly sense of humour that us lot are familiar with. You haven't been into the kitchen on a previous occasion by any chance? You put me in mind of a fun member who went under the name of Wobblybits. Just askin' wink PS We adopted a big, black, so-called "unapproachable* feral cat when we moved to Kintyre. You'll catch up with his antics. His name is Rory The Alpha Male of the Clan Kintyre. He's a bit special.

bags I had to pick the first daffodils to bloom in our garden. The wind blew them flat to the ground.

MawB A gorgeous smile from a gorgeous wee boy.
Waitrose are customer friendly. Put in a good word for them on your Facebook page, if you have one.

Nellie Most of us have experienced the stomach churning episode that put you into a spin. Oh, the relief when you realise that all is as it should be.
Thank you for putting me in the picture. grin

soop Fri 24-Feb-17 16:11:07

grannysyb I have to satisfy my craving by indulging in virtual, calorie-free, make-believe cupcake. On very rare occasions, we treat ourselves to the real thing.

Greyduster You made me laugh. grin

corner Enjoy your walk. We've been into Campbeltown. It's drier than of late but very much cooler.
We visited our pal who is a long-term resident in the care home. He told us that he's been filling up the Jag with petrol...he was concerned that he hadn't the cash to pay for the fuel. hmm We told him we'd settle the bill. Left him with a smile on his face.

soop Fri 24-Feb-17 17:50:12

I returned home to find a very interesting email from my youngest son, Matt. The update was detailed, good humoured and on reading it, I felt that "connection" that us lot yearn for. The difference the message made to my day, was incalculable. It's true that little things mean a lot... smile

Greyduster Fri 24-Feb-17 18:16:35

soop that email from your son brought you great joy. When mine is in a good mood he lights up my life like sunshine. When he isn't, he's very hard work. I hope when he comes down to lunch tommorrow it will be the former and not the latter, otherwise I shall have to confiscate his meat and potato pie and send him home!

Today has been the day of the hedging quotes. One this morning and one this afternoon, scratching their heads at the monster laurel that is making our lives a misery, and an additional mixed hedge that needs a whip and a chair. The quotes are similar, but we have another coming tommorrow. Then we shall see.

For the past four or five years I have had a soup maker that DD gave me sitting in the garage doing nothing, so I got it out today and also in the box were several crucial bits of DD's food processor. Shows how often she uses that! I don't think she even realises they're missing. Having read the instructions, I am thoroughly flummoxed by the soup maker!

MawBroon Fri 24-Feb-17 21:18:23

sad DH looked much "pinker" when I picked him up at 5.30 today as indeed he should after 3 pints of the red stuff, but has faded a bit this evening. Couldn't eat his supper (cod with crushed peas, tender stem broccoli and tiny potatoes) , in fact he was sick so we abandoned that. He went off to bed by 7.30 and I do hope it is just that his system is taking its time to adjust to the new blood and not some new complication. (The unit where he gets his transfusions is close to A&E and I saw they had a huge sign warning of Norovirus and saying if you have had diarrhoea or vomiting to stay at home ) <sigh>
Let's see what the next 24 hours brings ?

cornergran Fri 24-Feb-17 22:06:05

Hope all goes well, mawb. Enough is enough that's for sure. Wishing you both a peaceful night.

annsixty Sat 25-Feb-17 07:59:37

Oh how I feel for you MB, always worrying and little peace of mind.
I am struggling just now as H is turning very awkward and demanding. Yesterday I popped out for an hour, I had ordered some t-shirts from M&S and went to pick them up from Simply Food and did some food shopping in there. At the till I was suddenly overwhelmed with how alone I felt and could feel my legs buckling and tears starting. I managed to compose myself but held the queue up as I struggled to pack my bags.
My S was waiting in the car park, he has very bad gout and can hardly walk,he is just about managing to drive. I kept it from him and walked to Aldi for some basics but he was aware as he came in and packed my bags for me. I just didn't want to go home, I wanted him to drive and drive and get me away.
I don't need any of you with similar problems to know just how guilty I feel just having these thoughts.

Greyduster Sat 25-Feb-17 09:04:34

MawB I am so sorry to hear that your DH is still struggling. I will keep my fingers crossed that there will be a turn for the better soon.
Ann I know that nothing I can say will make you feel any better, but I'm sure it helps that you can keep telling us lot (to paraphrase dear Soop) about it. My brother in law had the same deteriorating condition as your DH and I remember how very difficult it was for the family.
flowers to you both.
DS is coming down today to go to football with his dad. Meat and potato pie for lunch. I had a text from him during the week which makes me wonder what sort of mood he is going to be in. He does suffer from depressive episodes from time to time and I wonder if he is going through one at the moment. We shall see.

NanaandGrampy Sat 25-Feb-17 09:44:22

Good Morning all !!

Glad you're feeling more positive Retrolady . As my gran used to say -worry only about what you can change. The rest will sort itself out ' smile

To be fair to the pool Izabella they do have a hoist but I CANNOT bring myself to be hoisted in and out of the pool like a beached whale. I'm not a prideful person but that's a step too far smile. I'm only cross that they knocked down the old pool which did have stairs and built this new one at huge cost that doesn't . In this day and age I think that's short sighted but you should hear some of the ridiculous things our council have done. I swear they are all lobotomised once they get elected smile

You even sound a bit better Corner but you're being sensible I hope . Don't rush it.

I don't understand about your DHs blood I'm afraid Maw but it doesn't sound good. Although when you mentioned the 3 pints had 'gone straight through him' I did have a very gory picture of leakage in my mind !! I do hope he's feeling a little better.

Lovely picture of your granddaughters soop !I am so glad you got your lovely email. Isn't it funny how things like that lift us?

Hello Bumblebee and Benny !

LOVE the picture of Flynn Maw how he's growing. I love Crufts having shown their with my Bernese for a number of years. Its a great experience and well worth a visit. They have everything a dog might want( and a few they might not) from coats to beds to toys.

That's what I call customer service Maw well done Waitrose !

I am becoming envious of those with soup makers...do you use it enough to justify giving it houseroom Corner?

Oh Ann I want to give you a serious hug !! Or a large glass of wine! I think either might work . Is this a phase with your DH or is this just the illness progressing? Tell your son that Grampy feels his p[ain having developed gout last time we were in Florida . Who knew a toe could be such an issue !!

Charley hope the work continues apace and you are soon sitting in your beautiful updated home.

No housework hgere as we have had viewing a plenty and currently have 2 parties who just might be interested. Please keep all fingers crossed for me.

Today, we have returners after lunch to have another look around so I shall be busy this morning making a congrats card for our young friends newly announced pregnancy.

Doris took our back gate and two fence panels and deposited next doors gazebo in our big tree...it looks a bit like a tented tree house. So Grampy will be out there supervising its retrieval and replacing the fence etc.

I'm taking bets on him injuring himself ..... its almost a given ! smile

NonnaW Sat 25-Feb-17 10:28:03

flowers and [cake] for those of you going through such difficulties at present. I am so lucky that we have no major health problems (sounds odd I know when DH has prostate cancer, but it's all under control and he suffers no major effects). Also had a boost when DS2 came on his usual flying visit en-route to see friends. He stops overnight, brings us up to date on the goings on in his life and takes off again up the motorway, fed and usually taking something away with him (this time a tub of Christmas sweets, to save us from ourselves!). Always cheers me up as he always seems cheerful.

MawBroon Sat 25-Feb-17 10:40:56

Ann60 the very LAST thing you should be feeling is guilt in any shape or form I know we said that " for better, for worse" thing all those years ago but we didn't promise to be martyrs and do it all with saintly patience! My friend whose DH has Alzheimer's was desperately looking forward to a weekend away, just her and DD while DS and DIL came to look after DH. It has had to be cancelled as DD's DH is poorly and can't look after their children. I feel so sad on her behalf and can absolutely understand the desire to keep on driving past the house! I have been known to sit in the drive for a couple of minutes and just take a few breaths when I come back from shopping ("me time")!
Anyway DH seems much more positive today and has woken rested and refreshed . The fact that he doesn't need to do anything today probably helps, I suspect the psychological worry about coping with new places might have contributed to missing last week's outing, but of course wouldn't say so to him!
Thinking of ww and kittylester too and all with worries, burdens or buggerations. BTW do NOT let grampy up that tree please, an accident waiting to happen?

soop Sat 25-Feb-17 11:19:19

ann My heart sank as I read your message. There is no room for guilt. I'm certain that I could not cope with what it is you need to live with day in, day out. Frankly, it amazes me that you haven't buckled under the pressure long ago. PLEASE dear Ann continue to share your frustrations with us lot...but, more important still, PLEASE visit your GP and get the help you need.

cornergran Sat 25-Feb-17 11:28:54

Oh ann, please don't feel guilty for being human. Take what help you can when you can. Please think of you as well as others.

Our soup maker is used two or three times a week n&g. Less in summer in fairness, I just put it away. I love soup, can't stand and stir and this magic machine does it all for me. The grandchildren love it, they can prepared the veg and always eat the outcome, no matter they wouldn't eat those veg on a plate smile. That gazebo in your tree is a worry for everyone's safety. Hard hats and a safe distance?

Pleased your husband is feeling better, mawb, ups and downs, eh? Lots of sadness about, feel for whitewave, think of kitty and anyone else dealing with losses. We could all do with something to lift the spirits I think. We're off out for lunch to celebrate a birthday, that should do it for me.

soop Sat 25-Feb-17 11:40:19

MawB You are another lady for whom I have the utmost admiration. Your husband has been dealt a totally crappy hand. I wish with all my heart that good fortune would smile on you.

N&G I like the sound of your gran. Us lot demand that Grampy settles for supervising any repair work. Keep a beady eye on him. hmm
Let us know any important developments on the house sale front. You know that we're a very nosy inquisitive bunch of Granspals.

Greyduster and Nonna Three sons live a few hundred miles away. One son phones fortnightly. His calls last at least 30 minutes and are great fun. Middle son also phones but not as often. He keeps in touch on FB. Youngest son is a journalist/adventurer, his emails are wonderfully detailed. Once a year we all gather together with wives and offspring. It's what I love best. Two days of mayhem non-stop chatter and catching up, after which, we return to our everyday routines.

soop Sat 25-Feb-17 11:42:01

corner Enjoy the birthday lunch.

NanaandGrampy Sat 25-Feb-17 12:47:37

Rest assured kind ladies - Grampy did not climb the tree - probably because he managed to trip over the little mini dog fence we erected whilst we reseed some grass!!

Nothing was injured more than his pride !!

I'm off to make him lunch before he stabs himself with the bread knife !!

soop Sat 25-Feb-17 13:12:33

NanaandGrampy Give Grampy a tender, loving hug.
Scotland v Wales rugby match this afternoon. I'm preparing to tackle a mountain of ironing which will seem a doddle if Scotland play well. A great pity that my favourite player, Greig Laidlaw, cannot captain the team due to injury. Rory has sensed that I shall be in good voice... hmm

Charleygirl Sat 25-Feb-17 13:59:08

soop Rory is very sensible and may well retreat to another room.

I have the weekend off- nobody except Tara here in this filthy house. I have been looking at the dust for long enough I must do something about it. I know that it will be twice as bad on Monday but I will feel better.

Sorry folks but rugby leaves me cold so I may as well wield a duster and plug in the hoover.

MawBroon pleased to hear that DH is feeling marginally better today.

N&G I hope that there is a bidding war for your abode. With luck things will be moving on Monday.

It may be safer if Grampy showed the punters round your house- he is less likely to injure himself doing that simple task.

Ann I do not know what to say- it is difficult to cope with at any age and you like the rest of us are not in your first flush of youth so it is very hard. You have had to put up with so much for so long and it has not been appreciated. You need a break or you will be having an enforced one. Can you not get some help?

corner enjoy your lunch out- I do hope that you are feeling marginally better and that the antibiotics are working.

flowers to all, especially kitty, whitewave and phoenix

kittylester Sat 25-Feb-17 14:49:30

Any tea going? brew I need a sit down. I have read all the messages and send my best to MawB, WW and, of course Ann. I have admitted before to sitting in a layby with a bar of chocolate and GN when I had been to visit Mum - it did me the power of good.

I'm sorry that I don't have the time to do lots of replies but I am keeping in the loop.

I lost a day, on line wise, when storm Doris was playing up. Doris stopped, the internet didn't come back on, DH rand BT. Cue Dh lying on the lounge floor pushing buttons, switching things off and on, unplugging and re plugging things. The air was getting quite fraught and then it was eventually decided that we needed a new router. Then I noticed that the extension cable plug was not pushed in all the way. Lo and behold - we have the internet. But, it seriously slowed my organisation plans.

Plans for the funeral are are coming along fine and I need to be organising so I'm doing fine. Thank you to those who were worried about me. Bossy older sister coming to the fore.

I am, though, concerned about my brother as he keeps disappearing. I'm not sure whether he is eating chocolate in a layby but he is a bit evasive when we ask him.

We are having a few days away from tomorrow so I need to do some ironing.

Thank you all for being so kind - you are a lovely, caring lot. flowers

Greyduster Sat 25-Feb-17 15:00:49

I'm pleased to say that DS, contrary to my misgivings, was very cheerful when he arrived. He even insisted on preparing the vegetables for lunch. Mind you, if there is anything on his mind, he will offload it to his father in the pub before the match this afternoon, then DH will offload it onto me! It will, in other words, come down the Chain of Command! I have just had a visit from a tree surgeon we have used at both our previous house and this one. He is an Australian and looks a bit like the wild man of Borneo but what he doesn't know about green stuff is not worth knowing. He came with his two 'assistants' - lovely border terriers who look almost as unkempt as he does. I think they must be growing into each other!

soop your son's sound delightful! Enjoy the rugby this afternoon. DH will get the boyyo's on catchup when he gets home I expect.

N&G they do tend to be a bit gung ho these grandads, don't they? The reason for this garden work is to lessen the chances of DH killing himself trying to cut monster hedges up a ladder! Hope Grampy is okay.

Very pleased to hear that your DH is feeling better Maw. You must be so relieved.

corner DH has decided to take on the soup maker experiment. He seems to be fascinated by it! I shall no doubt be reporting back on results, good - or otherwise!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion