Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

How did you choose your username?

(96 Posts)
Azie09 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:12:42

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before and not asking for secrets but I often notice my username was think that it was done in a tizz after finding half a dozen usernames weren't acceptable. My name begins with A but after that, it's a random creation.

Some of you have brilliant names, so creative. Any good stories? wink

Jalima Sun 26-Feb-17 23:22:34

Perhaps I should have picked Calamityjane as that is what DM used to call me
hmm

Elrel Sun 26-Feb-17 23:20:11

I am an ELderly RELative!

Dontstopmenow Sun 26-Feb-17 19:46:34

I'm going to be 60 in a week and have spent the last few weeks reappraising my life. I've been thinking about doing more of the things I love like dancing and less of the things I dont really enjoy. I have felt like it's a whole new beginning in my life. Consequently I keep singing 'dont stop me now' by Queen! Hence my username!

Anniebach Sun 26-Feb-17 17:59:22

Mine is a name given me by my grandfather, bach, which means little, was fine but not quite right when I reached 5'7" still being called it from the crib on

mrswoo Sun 26-Feb-17 17:16:25

Mine is named after my wee Jack Russell / Yorkie cross named Edwina. Sometimes we called her Weenawoo, other times we called her Lady Edwina from Argentina and often we called her Mrs Woo from Peru. So, no I'm not Chinese - possibly a bit eccentric though! Sadly she is no longer with us.

vampirequeen Sun 26-Feb-17 14:32:14

No trouble with ex now. He was a total control freak.

Every woman should have a Jezebel period. I learned so much about all aspects of life and had a great time.

DanniRae Sun 26-Feb-17 14:24:52

That's a great name vampirequeen!! I hope your ex is leaving you alone now? I wish I had had a Jezebel period - I always say next time around I am coming back as a reckless tart - not saying that you were any such thing but your comment made me recall my plans for my return...............! grin

vampirequeen Sat 25-Feb-17 20:07:30

I needed a username that my ex wouldn't be able to guess because he was stalking me online. A friend chose the name for me as, at the time, I was a very naïve, conservative person (yes I know it's hard to believe grin) so he decided vampirequeen was as far away as possible from the type of person I was. Oddly as the years have gone by and esp. during my Jezebel period, I have grown into my name grin

PamelaJ1 Sat 25-Feb-17 09:37:02

Thanks for the advice about changing user name, I will do it as soon as I know my friend has joined!

Greyduster Fri 24-Feb-17 17:41:47

I knew it shock!!

bikergran Fri 24-Feb-17 16:56:53

Cos I rode a motorcycle smile but now rider a scooter so should be "scootergran" smile

Rinouchka Fri 24-Feb-17 16:35:21

Nyet, *Greyduster! Am neither nor a babouchka (in shape), happy to add, except, perhaps, if I have eaten too much cheese! (But I did have a flutter with a Russian prince once.)

Greyduster Fri 24-Feb-17 14:26:23

Rinouchka you have burst my bubble. I had a clear vision of you as someone who had dropped straight out of the pages of War and Peace or The Cherry Orchard - delicate and slightly imperious!

Morgana Fri 24-Feb-17 13:47:36

Perhaps there should be a little note when we join to remind us to choose a name we can live with! I don't like mine much either! It is a very old password from the early days of computers. It expressed how I felt about them. But what would we do without them now?!!

J52 Thu 23-Feb-17 16:20:04

W11girl as a child I lived in W12, before it became fashionable! My name is obvious an initial and birth year.

Newquay Thu 23-Feb-17 15:39:16

Mine's the name of our road-and nowhere near Cornwall or Wales either. I like being anonymous-you can say things you might not normally say. . . . . .

Rinouchka Thu 23-Feb-17 14:15:26

Mine is the nickname one of my male colleagues, a Russian teacher, has always called me. I had just had lunch with him the day I joined...and it was the first thing that sprang to mind when having to choose a username.

I am many things...but not Russian!

petra Thu 23-Feb-17 14:03:53

I had just come back from a holiday where I visited Petra.

Azie09 Wed 22-Feb-17 19:48:05

Thank you Ana for telling us how to change our usernames if we want to, I didn't know it was possible to do that.

millymouge Wed 22-Feb-17 19:15:14

Mine is what I call my little car

W11girl Wed 22-Feb-17 18:59:28

My is connected to where I was born and brought up in London. Although I live in North Yorkshire, my heart is still in West 11.

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 18:07:04

Or you could just de-register and join again with a new username.

They don't seem to mind people doing that, unless of course they've been banned!

Sar53 Wed 22-Feb-17 17:55:14

Mine is my initials and the year I was born. So unoriginal !!!

Jalima Wed 22-Feb-17 17:42:38

They all get collected in a poly bag at the bottom of the washing basket Greyduster then get washed all together about once a year!

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 17:34:21

It's not very memorable, f77ms, is it? grin

You'll have to contact GNHQ and explain why you want to change (see 'contact us') at the bottom of the page.