Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Italian speakers

(71 Posts)
Hypericum Tue 14-Mar-17 21:22:08

If there are any Italian speakers in Gransnet, I would be interested in chatting to improve my knowledge of everyday Italian.

Marydoll Mon 20-Mar-17 23:44:04

Buona notte a tutti. A domani!

Rinouchka Tue 21-Mar-17 08:36:56

Enfin le printemps
Song by Édith Piaf ( haven't mastered copy & paste via ipad...yet)

Enfin le printemps! Benvenuta Primavera!

MawBroon Tue 21-Mar-17 11:10:26

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnVs_FKlGw0

grin

Marydoll Mon 27-Mar-17 10:34:43

My DH tells me Montalbano will be back in the Autumn for two episodes and a further two next year. More opportunities to learn naughty Italian words!grin

Bellanonna Tue 28-Mar-17 09:37:23

Plenty of them, too, Marydoll. ! Will watch out for the Autumn episodes. I know the writer, in his 80s, has actually written a final book so it will be interesting to see whether Salvo and Livia actually make it up the aisle. I hope they do. She is incredibly patient!

Bellanonna Tue 28-Mar-17 09:43:52

Just watched Enfin le Printemps. What a cheerful song. Appropriate for when you posted it too, so I am a few days late catching up ☀️

Hypericum Tue 28-Mar-17 21:47:03

Entirely my sentiments Belladonna! Don't know this song. Will look out for it on Youtube. Do you know the Boy band Il Volo. I love watching them perform their songs. Each is very different and handsome in their own way. They make a very powerful noise together.

Hypericum Tue 28-Mar-17 21:48:18

Fabulous news - will brighten up my autumn.

Bellanonna Tue 28-Mar-17 22:29:47

No, Hypericum, I haven't heard of that group. I'll YouTube them. Yes, I too shall feel much cheered up by the lovely Montalbano, either of them. Pity it's only two episodes ?

Bellanonna Thu 30-Mar-17 08:46:31

I watched L'Amore si Muove. Enjoyed the singing and found the video very touching.

Marydoll Sun 02-Apr-17 21:39:06

Sitting in a hotel in Leeds tonight and there is a group of Italian men. I have been trying to eavesdrop, but it's all football talk and I am not a fanista! grin Learned nothing.

Suki70 Sun 02-Apr-17 22:24:41

Povera Marydoll! Eavesdropping on Italian speakers is my guilty secret. I've been known to shush DH if we're sitting in a cafe near any so I can hear better and he says he's learned to recognise the concentrated look on my face now. Similarly I move closer in shops to catch the odd phrase and maybe make a comment, hoping for a little conversazione. Sometimes works, other times they just look confused, probably because of my accent!

Marydoll Sun 02-Apr-17 22:38:29

I did work out that it was a fantastic score, but after putting up with my son texting football scores all day to my husband ( we are on a bus tour),I eventually switched off! However, if they had been talking about Milan fashion week.....grin

Bellanonna Sun 02-Apr-17 23:20:01

Oh I do that with English conversations, too, Suki! What I enjoy in italy is watching men on street corners having a conversation, the more animated the better. I wish I'd taken videos of these over the years. some of the gestures are a language in themselves. Approval, for example, can be a line drawn in the air away from the mouth, ending with a kiss on the thumb and forefinger, or to show approval of food it can be an upward wafting of the right hand. Montalbano does that in his favourite ristorante. The street corner conversations involve much more action and waving about of arms. Fascinating.
Yeah, listening to calcio would not be my thing, Marydoll

Newquay Mon 03-Apr-17 16:44:08

Moi aussi j'adore Parler/ecouter Francais. J'ai trouve une groupe d'enthusiastes a U3A-nous nous rencontrons tous les jeudi après midi pour parler/lire Francais. Quell plaisir.
Je suis jalouse de tous qui peut Parler plus d'un autre langue.
A mon lycee il fallait choisir entre le Duestch, le Latin ou la musique.
J'ai choisi la musique et il faut dire qu'il m'a Donne tant de plaisir a travers les annees.
A bientot-c'est presque l'heure de la repetition de mon chorale.

TriciaF Mon 03-Apr-17 17:37:40

Brilliant Newquay!
I've just read this thread, and realised my language skills are more limited than I thought.
Italian - I think it's a beautiful language, very gentle and musical. I once worked in the UK with a group of Italian immigrants and communicated with a mixture of schoolgirl french and latin.
Now living in France, I can chat to the locals, but everyone can tell I'm english. I dictated an ansaphone message last week and obviously I'm not french.
As for my written french, it's full of mistakes, I have to look up the gender of every noun.
Subjunctives etc - never learned them (as someone wrote earlier.)

Newquay Tue 04-Apr-17 14:57:17

Tricia f I envy you living in France. I've been speaking French now since I started age 11 at Grammar school. I cope very well but have no illusion about sounding English. I always say to folks I must sound like the English policemen in 'allo 'allo "good moaning, I was just pissing by" lol! But I can understand and be understood which is more important than grammar imho.
In France when folks have asked my nationality they can't tell whether I'm English, German or Dutch. However I do get compliments on my French sometimes.
Enjoy!

Cherrytree59 Tue 04-Apr-17 18:15:08

I wish I could join in with an Italian conversation .
I can understand some German and often manage to read a German or Dutch magazine when I have run out of British reading material.

Cherrytree59 Tue 04-Apr-17 18:30:40

What never fails to impress me is the Italians waiting in the airport queue for their return flight home.
All beautifully dressed .
Ladies in dresses with scarves & handbags
Hair and make-up just so
Gentlemen in pale trousers and a nice shirt with a jumper placed casually over their shoulders
Both in lovely Italian shoes.

And then there's the Brit holiday makers ........ grin

Bellanonna Tue 04-Apr-17 23:10:33

At least we're comfortable cherry