Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Welcome to Gransnet

(261 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 19-Jul-17 11:16:26

Any new joiners? smile If you've recently signed up to Gransnet or have been around a while but haven't got round to posting anything yet, please pour yourself a cuppa and use this thread to introduce yourself and tell us how you found us. brew cupcake

Mapleleaf Wed 31-Jan-18 11:16:20

A very warm welcome to all of you who have recently joined. I think you will enjoy belonging to GN. ?

shysal Wed 31-Jan-18 08:56:12

Welcome Orange123, I am glad you found us flowers. GN provides much of interest for those like you and me who live alone, although I do waste spend far too much time on here. It is rather addictive!

Orange123 Tue 30-Jan-18 23:32:39

Hello all. I stumbled upon this site by a happy accident. Hope to meet many new cyber friends here. I am 68 years old and live by myself. It seems that many of the members here are from the U.K. I live in the United States but have grandchildren in Ireland. smile

shysal Fri 19-Jan-18 09:46:46

Welcome Feelingmyage55, I am glad you found the site useful and entertaining. Enjoy!

Feelingmyage55 Thu 18-Jan-18 20:36:46

Hello, I found gran's net when I googled about a problem that I could not resolve myself. Thank goodness all you gnetters helped me sort out how to deal with a request that I did not know how to say no to! I am not actually a gran yet but come from a four generation family and gran's net has helped me better understand and deal with some generational differences. I love some of the light hearted posts that make me laugh and commiserate with some of the more difficult ones. It is a bit like being inside a magazine with letters, articles, info and a problem page. Glad I found you all.

shysal Tue 16-Jan-18 07:26:11

Hi and welcome Coll66.flowers If you start a new thread under the Health heading I am sure you will get lots of replies (this thread gets little attention).
If you are interested, Woman's Hour on Radio 4 had a programme devoted to menopause yesterday, which you could listen to on the iplayer. Different experiences and alternatives were discussed.

Coll66 Tue 16-Jan-18 04:33:14

Hi I've just joined gransnet about a hour ago I work nights and just need advice on different alternative's to HRT at 51 I'm neither to young or to old for this chat advice from any age can be beneficial I came across gransnet on Google smile

Mapleleaf Fri 12-Jan-18 09:01:35

Welcome, Oracle. Enjoy looking at the threads on all the different posts. I'm sure you'll see some you'd like to respond to or start a post of your own. It's quite addictive, as already mentioned!

shysal Sat 06-Jan-18 10:23:52

Welcome Oracle. What a lot of decisions you have to make! You will find plenty of advice and information on GN to help you. flowers

Marydoll Sat 06-Jan-18 08:21:18

Welcome Oracle.
Now you have posted once, it will be much easier to join in. I hope you enjoy being on GN. However, it can become addictive.

Oracle53 Sat 06-Jan-18 08:06:38

Hello to everyone on here. This is my first post, and I am enjoying reading the lively discussions.
Life feels a bit in turmoil for me just now. I am single (reluctantly) and have recently stopped work. I am thinking of selling my house and downsizing but not really sure where to go - I do have a large family, grown up and scattered now, so could move closer to one of them. I would need to find some part time earnings as I am not well off. Actually I am an astrologer and read Tarot so could make a little money this way. So many ideas I'm not sure where to begin with it all. It all feels so confusing and no-one to share it with

Mapleleaf Tue 02-Jan-18 10:12:37

Welcome to all of you who have recently joined GN. ?

shysal Mon 01-Jan-18 09:13:25

Welcome to the latest newbies. I hope you will enjoy GN. flowers

liamlogan Mon 01-Jan-18 07:50:41

Hello everyone
I am new here, Glad to Join this space.

Marydoll Sun 31-Dec-17 07:54:50

Sorry Amma54, a warm welcome to you too.

Marydoll Sun 31-Dec-17 07:53:51

Welcome ildifro. Congratulations on your news.

NfkDumpling Sun 31-Dec-17 07:06:06

My goodness ildifro, your DC certainly are well spread! And very conveniently too! wink My furthest, DD1, is only 3 hours drive away, but DS was intending to emigrate to Nova Scotia before things went pear shaped with DiL's health and the Canadian immigration system. I'd rather hoped they'd go somewhere warmer!

ildifro Sun 31-Dec-17 02:10:23

Hi I am originally from Austria but moved with my husband to New Zealand 5 yrs ago.
We have three grown children living in Austria, Bali and in Auckland.
Our oldest who lives in Austria just told us the good news of our first grandchild coming in June. Was so excited that I could not sleep all night and surfed the web.. That's how I came to gransnet. Looking forwardcto finding/hearing about how other long distance granparents make it work

Amma54 Sat 30-Dec-17 23:41:12

Hello everyone. I only just found out about gransnet this evening and so signed up straightaway. I felt at home here as the first post I saw was about the standard if spoken English getting worse - I knew I was among friends.

I'm 63, currently living in West Yorks but tend to move around a bit. Live travelling, food and wine.

BlueBelle Mon 25-Dec-17 06:48:25

I talk to everyone who stands near me in shop queues bus queues I try to smile at most people I meet don’t look for age differences
Welcome longhaulgran xx

LongHaulGran Sun 24-Dec-17 09:52:48

Thank-you for the welcome, Shysalsmile Re the grands - I have five, and I'm not sure how to correct that bit on my profile page. Four are 'biological' with the fifth adopted and loved every bit as much as his fellow grands. Three by my daughter, two from my son, aged four through 13. They all live in the USA so Christmas is all about Amazon e-vouchers and Skype!

NfkDumpling Fri 22-Dec-17 21:50:35

I smile and talk to old people on the street. And younger ones. And children. But not teenagers as they can’t see me.

Alexa Fri 22-Dec-17 18:30:56

I see that Ageuk advises people to smile and talk to an old person on the street. That is creepy. Being expected to be jolly and smile back can be an imposition. Old persons are people like anyone else, except that they may be physically frail. They are not all mentally or emotionally frail .

Alexa Fri 22-Dec-17 18:18:36

Hi. I was here quite some time ago, maybe several years ago. Old persons are not an entirely homogeneous group, including that not all old ladies are interested in grannyhood. Which is a message that we need to circulate.

I am Scottish and now live in the English Midlands.

shysal Thu 21-Dec-17 15:55:37

Welcome LongHaulGran flowers. What a happy accident to find GN, hope you enjoy all that it has to offer. I see on your profile it says you have no grandchildren. Don't worry that you have done something wrong, it is a common problem with new members which seems to remain unresolved.