Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Welcome to Gransnet

(261 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 19-Jul-17 11:16:26

Any new joiners? smile If you've recently signed up to Gransnet or have been around a while but haven't got round to posting anything yet, please pour yourself a cuppa and use this thread to introduce yourself and tell us how you found us. brew cupcake

LongHaulGran Thu 21-Dec-17 13:11:59

Hiya from NE Scotland from a gran to five aged 4 through 13. Per my user-name, I'm a long-haul gran as the children and their parents (my daughter is mum to 3, my son dad of two) live on two different US coasts (Pacific and Gulf of Mexico).

I did a public profile page so I won't go on any longer here save to say I'm quite looking forward to reading and perhaps occasionally commenting/posting. I found Gransnet looking for something else, really pleased to find the site!

Catterygirl Tue 12-Dec-17 07:12:13

Thank you Shysal and Mapleleaf

Mapleleaf Mon 11-Dec-17 14:32:24

Welcome to GN Catterygirl. I hope you will enjoy posting.

shysal Mon 11-Dec-17 12:48:41

Hello Catterygirl, welcome to GN. Glad you have graduated from MN to 'senior school' tchsmile. Enjoy!

Catterygirl Mon 11-Dec-17 11:14:20

Hello everyone,

I am 66 and think I came across Gransnet somehow through Mumsnet. I didn't visit Mumsnet daily but wrote a travel blog which appeared on Mumsnet. I am not a Nana yet and my son has just started a relationship with his first serious GF. I find some of the posts on here very interesting and receive a daily email pointing me towards interesting posts.

NannyTee Sat 09-Dec-17 18:03:32

I'm so sad. I've been left high and dry. Can't get a refund for 21 days and still got to find a replacement present for this. It's been a complete headAche from start to finish angry

Mapleleaf Fri 08-Dec-17 08:51:49

No, and neither should you. It's totally ridiculous. Such a shame, though.

NannyTee Thu 07-Dec-17 18:41:44

Thanks Mapleleaf. I have heard nothing so far. Looks like it will go back to the sender because no way can I pay that amount.

Mapleleaf Thu 07-Dec-17 09:18:01

That's a shame, NannyTee. Fingers crossed that they sort it out in your favour and that the DVD reaches you in time for Christmas.

AbrileSmetschel Wed 06-Dec-17 20:41:05

welcome smile

NannyTee Tue 05-Dec-17 19:27:14

Thanks Mapleleaf. I have to wait a couple of days whilst they all get their heads together and find out what's good wrong. It'll get sorted one way of the other. I'm just upset that if was a much wanted Christmas present surprise for someone .

Mapleleaf Tue 05-Dec-17 11:17:48

Hope it gets sorted for you, Nanny Tee. That price sounds totally excessive.

NannyTee Mon 04-Dec-17 16:18:02

I've been trying to sort it out today. Royal mail said phone customs. Customs said they only deal with Parcel Force not Royal mail. Royal mail then said that was rubbish and are looking into it for me . All this for a DVD .

shysal Mon 04-Dec-17 09:11:19

A similar thing happened to me when I ordered a cushion last year. I spoke to the Post Office owner who told me that the USA is enforcing this payment more often these days with no warning. He thought there was no way to get out of it, shocking! I do hope you will find a way round it NannyTee.

NannyTee Sun 03-Dec-17 19:37:38

The only thing that's mentioned on line is the 8.00 handling fee . My Royal Mail card says 120.75 inc handling fee of 8.00. I'm stumped .

NannyTee Sun 03-Dec-17 19:35:32

Ah thanks Marydoll. Yes that one tells the rates for whatever priced parcel .

Marydoll Sun 03-Dec-17 18:51:16

There's a government site with a helpline and web chat facility giving advice on import duty, taxes etc.. I don't know if this would be helpful. You may have looked at it already.
www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad

NannyTee Sun 03-Dec-17 18:44:59

They are blogs from 2002 so can't really help me but thanks .

NannyTee Sun 03-Dec-17 16:05:28

Yes . The seller didn't have a clue why . Thanks I will take a look at those .

Marydoll Sun 03-Dec-17 15:25:27

I have bought crafting DVDs from USA and never had to pay that amount of duty. Is it worth contacting the seller? Is it possible that the seller hasn't filled in the customs declaration correctly?
There are lots of forums about this.
forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/how-much-import-tax-do-you-pay-on-dvds-from-the-us.135855/

www.ebay.co.uk/gds/UK-Buying-USA-Import-VAT-Customs-Duty-Parcel-Force-Fees-/10000000013589137/g.html

Seems a bit excessive. I hope you can resolve this.

NannyTee Sun 03-Dec-17 15:07:53

Hi all. Does anyone know anything about ordering from US via the internet? I have been waiting for a DVD as a Christmas present. It cost 30 pounds and I expected the handling fee of 8 but Royal mail will not post it unless I pay 120.75 for customs !!! It's only a DVD . Can anyone help ?

varian Fri 01-Dec-17 17:32:24

Glad to hear you're back barmyoldbat. I hope you're enjoying your stay in the Far East, but I also hope you are not stuck in Bali, waiting for the volcano to erupt. Bali is beautiful, but not in a cloud of volcanic ash.

Pittcity Fri 01-Dec-17 16:51:04

Karenrumballs All prize winners are on this thread www.gransnet.com/forums/competitions/1228268-Won-anything

Karenrumball87 Thu 30-Nov-17 11:39:23

Who won the moomin competition please. ?

shysal Tue 28-Nov-17 17:36:12

Welcome back Barmeyoldbat flowers. Could you send a bit of that sunshine in our direction please?