Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Good morning friday

(68 Posts)
stevierichards1954 Fri 15-Jun-18 06:23:24

Hello all. Sunny and bright in west midlands after having a few days away with the son at country retreat. Now a long weekend ahead

stevierichards1954 Fri 15-Jun-18 20:59:47

So who ever says good morning first then

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 21:01:04

NanKate the opening remarks say otherwise . We are all mature people who’ve been round the block a time or two. We’re not school kids . etc. Personally I’m happy to say good morning to anyone who starts a good morning thread . smile

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 21:01:37

Might start me own tomorrow ... wink

stevierichards1954 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:02:13

So it saying I shouldn't be posting because of loneliness or pandering to dictatorship

MawBroon Fri 15-Jun-18 21:06:55

I have no idea why you have posted this link stevie or its relevance to the Good Morning thread.
I am amazed at the hot air generated by this discussion -especially as stevie has emphasised the café “philosophy” and is the one sounding so bitter and angry, but I think we need to take Mick’s feelings into account too. This must be so embarrassing for him.
And if a thing ain’t broke, why fix it?
Nothing to stop anybody starting a thread of their own choice

merlotgran Fri 15-Jun-18 21:12:31

Somebody posted a month or two ago that they'd been ignored on the GM thread and felt they were not welcome.

We all say good morning to Mick and any particular friends. says it all really. The underlining is mine.

Somebody else also dared to start the thread and was given short shrift. Quite rudely I felt.

Makes a nonsense of the Jo Cox Commission on Loneliness ethos really.

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 21:15:13

Exactly Merlot smile

kittylester Fri 15-Jun-18 21:31:23

No one is saying that other people cant start threads just to please let Mick start the goodmorning threads.

Stevie, I'm sorry if you are lonely. gn is a good place to offload.

MawBroon Fri 15-Jun-18 21:38:19

Would it be a fair analogy to for instance imagine you were joining a club like the WI. Say Doris and Dora always do the teas because they like doing it and feel valued. Now imagine getting to the kitchen before them one evening, putting the cups out differently, different biccies and basically making them feel redundant. They might feel unwanted and rejected.
But a general offer of help doing anything that needs doing would be the way to start to make friends.

silly example?
Maybe.

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Jun-18 21:46:51

Sums it up perfectly.

This morning there was a fraction of a second between posts so they overlapped and we ended up with two. So I posted on both. This could get complicated.

merlotgran Fri 15-Jun-18 22:31:25

They might feel unwanted and rejected.

In the WI? Are you kidding?

More likely sweet little Doris and Dora will make sure any newcomers are firmly put in their place.

A bit like Gransnet.

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 22:49:46

Yes merlot sweet little Doris and Dora aren’t sweet at all are they ?

I’m in the WI btw . Fortunately we are a very young and modern group but there are still those “on the top, committee table” who .......well you know ... like things done.....THEIR WAY .... hmm

MawBroon Fri 15-Jun-18 22:56:59

<sigh>
Other organisations are available.
I just tried to give an example <sigh>
And no, I have never been to a W I meeting so how was I to know?

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 23:10:47

You weren’t Maw but I can assure you it’s true . Sweet ladies who are not really very sweet at all if you dare cross them . Yikes.

stevierichards1954 Sat 16-Jun-18 06:07:27

Gaga gran
If you look at top of granscafe there is a link to Jo cox
As to the churches you have no idea of what problems or dictatorship was apparent by people who are supposed to be wise and welcome others.

NanKate Sat 16-Jun-18 07:34:40

I am happy to report that at my WI we make decisions democratically. We have lots of fun. There are no old fogeys.

Our oldest member 94 sells the raffle tickets on arrival and looks a million dollars in her up to date clothes.

Not a jar of jam in sight and we are more likely to be heard singing an Ed Sheehan song than Jerusalem. Having said that I find Jerusalem is a very stirring song/hymn IMO.

gillybob Sat 16-Jun-18 07:45:10

Ours is very similar NanKate in as much that we are very modern in what we do. We don’t “do” Jerusalem at every meeting but we were taught it by a choir leader and we sing it occasionally . It is, as you say, very rousing. Our meetings are anything but typical. Over the last months we’ve had an artist night, involving drawing a nude man, burlesque dancing, 20’s night etc. It would make some of the traditionalists’ hair stand on end.

But sadly we still have a few of those “it’s my way or the highway” bossy boots on the committee.

I see that there are a few Good morning threads this morning. I can’t see why whoever’s up first starts one and everyone else follows. But that’s just me.