Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

The All Day Breakfast

(40 Posts)
12Michael Sat 23-Jun-18 06:24:34

As this is the café , what are your favourite all day breakie chooses.
I know we have English, Welsh , Scottish and Irish all with there own little bits added .
Mick

polyester57 Sat 23-Jun-18 06:35:40

That is neither here nor their.

cavewoman Sat 23-Jun-18 06:39:39

My favourite all day breakfast when holidaying in Greece is a full "English" vegetarian where the bacon and sausage is replaced with grilled halloumi .
Don't know why I never do it myself.
What's yours Michael?

12Michael Sat 23-Jun-18 06:50:11

My taste buds vary, I have tried many types but have a basic dish, but like to have fried bread when I can , I like to have the tomatoes on top of the fried bread plus toast as well.
Usually if away from home I will have breakfast at a hotel , there a big breakfast starts the day with coffee or tea , and cuts out eating in between.
Mick

jenpax Sat 23-Jun-18 07:08:38

Mine too! I am a vegetarian and love grilled halloumi but I must admit I have a weakness for fried bread! So many cafes assume that the vegetarian option must be due to health reasons and swap for sourdough bread or granary ?

NfkDumpling Sat 23-Jun-18 07:23:47

Toast. I’m addicted to toast. Toppings according to fancy. Marmite and marmalade early in the day, cheese, scrambled eggs, bacon and the works (but no black pudding) later on. As long as there’s toast - preferably whole grain - I’m happy.

alreadytaken Sat 23-Jun-18 07:24:57

One without black pudding but with mushrooms.

12Michael Sat 23-Jun-18 07:25:12

Some of my favourite café cum places other than hotels are the Cherry Reds in Brum in John Bright Street, Browns in Oxfords Covered Market.
Mick

oldgoat Sat 23-Jun-18 07:36:16

I enjoy a bowl of fat-free Greek yoghurt with a dollop of red jam (has to be red) and a handful of seeds. OH loves a big fry-up and would have fried bread if I didn't nag him gently remind him that it's known as 'the cardiologist's recruiting sargeant'.

harrigran Sat 23-Jun-18 08:01:30

When staying in hotels my choice of breakfast is scrambled eggs with vegetarian sausage and mushrooms.
Breakfast at home is usually toast and goats cheese.

BlueBelle Sat 23-Jun-18 08:05:43

Just had my bovril and marmalade on toast Nfkdumpling it must be an east anglia thing

Panache Sat 23-Jun-18 08:20:55

A red grapefruit with brown bread and percolated coffee will see me through this morning!
It varies with my needs and digestion!

Greyduster Sat 23-Jun-18 08:22:40

I like scrambled eggs (with a nice bit of smoked salmon on top preferably) but they have to be ‘en pointe’ and you can never get them just like that in hotels or cafes. I also like smoked haddock with a poached egg on top. Mick I also like Browns in Oxford market!

ninathenana Sat 23-Jun-18 08:31:31

I think of "all day breckie" as Mick says as something cooked. H loves a full English sausage, bacon, egg fried bread, hashbrowns, black pud, beans and mushrooms shock I don't know how he eats it all.
Cooked breckie for me is scrambled egg on toast with maybe a couple of rashers. Usually though it's cereal for me and toast for H.

MawBroon Sat 23-Jun-18 08:42:40

Did that make you feel better polyester?

annsixty Sat 23-Jun-18 09:03:00

It's toast and marmite for H and cereal with a chopped banana or prunes for me.
All day breakfast is our early evening meal every couple of weeks. Grilled bacon, fried eggs, pork sausages and fried mushrooms ,eaten with white toast. Fried bread can only be fried in bacon fat and bacon today doesn't produce any.
I'm really hungry now Mick.

merlotgran Sat 23-Jun-18 10:01:08

Anything with fresh fruit from the garden. This morning it was gluten free cornflakes with strawberries. I also love porridge with a dollop of Greek yoghurt on top and a drizzle of honey.

DH likes to cook the Full English on Sunday mornings but I can no longer eat eggs first thing so for me it's grilled bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms.

Gagagran Sat 23-Jun-18 10:59:37

My favourite is available at one of the cafes in our small town. It is French toast with crispy grilled bacon and maple syrup plus one of the best cappucinos I have ever had. Only an occasional treat but absolutely 5-star yummy! wink

glammanana Sat 23-Jun-18 11:10:07

At home I enjoy scrambled eggs & portabello mushrooms with a handful of beans.
When we are away hubby enjoys a full cooked breakfast and will eat anything on offer, at our favourite Spanish Hotel the chef does the crispiest Spanish bacon you can imagine and I look forward to it every time we book in at the place.

lemongrove Sat 23-Jun-18 13:08:42

Mick yes, Browns in the covered market is legendary! We often pop in there.
My fave cooked breakfast, a full English, would also feature a slice of fried bread, fried tomatoes, egg, slightly runny, and well cooked back bacon and black pudding.
I don’t want to find baked beans, or a sausage or hash browns or mushrooms ( even though I do like all those things) but not for breakfast.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-Jun-18 13:18:05

Poached egg on granary toast, tinned tomatoes, mushrooms, hash browns and a cappuccino or latte (decaf)

I am not a vegger, but I have cut down on the amount of meat I eat, and avoid processed food as much as possible. I do miss bacon and sausage though.

tanith Sat 23-Jun-18 13:20:01

I have lots of differing breakfast likes but to answer the question, my favourite all day brekkie is,

2 bacon, one sausage, fresh grilled toms, not tinned, mushrooms, fried bread, fried egg and brown toast with a steaming mug of builders tea.
It’s once in a blue moon though.

Greyduster Sat 23-Jun-18 15:27:22

If you manage to get enough bacon fat to fry bread in, try frying a Derbyshire oatcake instead. They are delicious with bacon, eggs and tomatoes. My favourite breakfast of all time was one of my mother’s home made bread cakes, with bacon and fried fresh tomatoes inside. Haven't had it for ages - the bread cakes you buy just aren’t the same......

lemongrove Sat 23-Jun-18 15:39:44

tanith why not have that brekkie more often? We have a cooked full English every Sat or Sun ( depending on plans for the day.)

Grannyknot Sat 23-Jun-18 15:41:05

French Toast with a side of crispy bacon, sliced, grilled banana and a drizzle of syrup or honey.