Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

The All Day Breakfast

(41 Posts)
12Michael Sat 23-Jun-18 06:24:34

As this is the café , what are your favourite all day breakie chooses.
I know we have English, Welsh , Scottish and Irish all with there own little bits added .
Mick

SIDAR Sat 31-Aug-19 02:08:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

kittylester Tue 13-Nov-18 13:46:31

I rarely fancy a full English nowadays but it has to include bacon, sausage, black pudding, fried egg, fried bread, fried tomatoes and mushrooms never ever baked beans.

Sadly, gluten intolerance means no black pudding any more and sausages can be a problem.

We are currently in a(n) hotel and I'm having kippers which I never do at home - though I have no idea why, unless it's the smell!?

moggie57 Tue 13-Nov-18 12:40:41

hash browns/tomatos/well done fried eggs/toast/sausages vegi/.and a cup of coffee decafe /soya i prefer hash browns to chips....oh and sometimes bacon if its not too crispy/ pancakes with buttermilk and toffee syrup. not all the time as they bad for my stomach lol

Greyduster Mon 25-Jun-18 13:09:16

Panache I will think of you eating your shredded wheat when I am eating my usual single Weetabix with a tablespoon of crushed linseeds on it! Yum ??.

henetha Mon 25-Jun-18 10:43:01

I'm undergoing a crumpet compulsion. Every single day I eat one crumpet for breakfast, usually just with butter, but sometimes marmalade as well.

Panache Mon 25-Jun-18 10:01:42

Sadly I must not let my mind dwell on a full english..........or any of the delights many of you enjoy............even my grapefruit has now been binned as I revert back to my Shredded Wheat alas................However looking on the brighter side.I am alive and I am eating...........many do not have a breakfast or any sort of meal daily.............

Greyduster Mon 25-Jun-18 09:18:45

We took our grandson out to breakfast at a lovely cafe in their local park yesterday. He had a small full English and I said to him “are you sure you really want an egg.” He was sure he did, and when it came, proceeded to remove every shred of white in the most precise and surgical manner, onto a napkin which he then put in a bin! He then pronounced it a lovely breakfast although it must have been nearly cold by the time he’d finished faffing around with the egg!

12Michael Mon 25-Jun-18 08:35:26

Although I rarely do a breakfast but will eat out at cafes , I usually have slightly healthy one at a café in Buckingham on a Saturday lunch.
Includes Toast and grilled tomato with mushrooms , they do 2 types small or large or a veggie version without the bacon, eggs and sausages.
This thread is like soops kitchen its on running.
Mick

NanKate Sat 23-Jun-18 20:47:57

I like this thread *Mick?☕️?

NanKate Sat 23-Jun-18 20:46:26

On Chr........Morning, I have a slice of game pie cold, some cranberry sauce and mustard, accompanied by a nice strong coffee, then toast and marmalade. Only 6 months and 2 days to wait. ?

hildajenniJ Sat 23-Jun-18 19:51:05

Drooling, not dropping.

hildajenniJ Sat 23-Jun-18 19:50:39

When I'm staying in a B&B or hotel I like to start with fresh fruit salad, with prunes if available. Full English minus the tomatoes. To finish, toast and mamalade or jam. It must be accompanied by tea, not coffee. I'm dropping just thinking about it.

Mapleleaf Sat 23-Jun-18 18:09:37

At home, my breakfast is usually cereal or porridge, but if we are staying in a B & B then I will have a cooked breakfast minus the black pudding. If in a hotel, I tend to go for the continental breakfast or scrambled egg on toast depending how I feel. Always a cup of tea with whichever breakfast I have. ?

Greyduster Sat 23-Jun-18 17:19:33

Mick the Staffordshire oatcake and the Derbyshire oatcake seem to identical twins grin! Considering the geographical proximity of the two counties, it is hardly surprising! Wherever you find them, they are delicious!

12Michael Sat 23-Jun-18 16:37:48

One type of cake I do like when either at my sisters in Shropshire , or on occasions have seen in Sainsburys is the Staffordshire Oatcake, in some of the potteries cafes you can have it with fillings breakfast wise.
Done in the frying pan with a light amount of oil in the pan, takes less than a minute done on both sides.
Mick

Grannyknot Sat 23-Jun-18 15:41:05

French Toast with a side of crispy bacon, sliced, grilled banana and a drizzle of syrup or honey.

lemongrove Sat 23-Jun-18 15:39:44

tanith why not have that brekkie more often? We have a cooked full English every Sat or Sun ( depending on plans for the day.)

Greyduster Sat 23-Jun-18 15:27:22

If you manage to get enough bacon fat to fry bread in, try frying a Derbyshire oatcake instead. They are delicious with bacon, eggs and tomatoes. My favourite breakfast of all time was one of my mother’s home made bread cakes, with bacon and fried fresh tomatoes inside. Haven't had it for ages - the bread cakes you buy just aren’t the same......

tanith Sat 23-Jun-18 13:20:01

I have lots of differing breakfast likes but to answer the question, my favourite all day brekkie is,

2 bacon, one sausage, fresh grilled toms, not tinned, mushrooms, fried bread, fried egg and brown toast with a steaming mug of builders tea.
It’s once in a blue moon though.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-Jun-18 13:18:05

Poached egg on granary toast, tinned tomatoes, mushrooms, hash browns and a cappuccino or latte (decaf)

I am not a vegger, but I have cut down on the amount of meat I eat, and avoid processed food as much as possible. I do miss bacon and sausage though.

lemongrove Sat 23-Jun-18 13:08:42

Mick yes, Browns in the covered market is legendary! We often pop in there.
My fave cooked breakfast, a full English, would also feature a slice of fried bread, fried tomatoes, egg, slightly runny, and well cooked back bacon and black pudding.
I don’t want to find baked beans, or a sausage or hash browns or mushrooms ( even though I do like all those things) but not for breakfast.

glammanana Sat 23-Jun-18 11:10:07

At home I enjoy scrambled eggs & portabello mushrooms with a handful of beans.
When we are away hubby enjoys a full cooked breakfast and will eat anything on offer, at our favourite Spanish Hotel the chef does the crispiest Spanish bacon you can imagine and I look forward to it every time we book in at the place.

Gagagran Sat 23-Jun-18 10:59:37

My favourite is available at one of the cafes in our small town. It is French toast with crispy grilled bacon and maple syrup plus one of the best cappucinos I have ever had. Only an occasional treat but absolutely 5-star yummy! wink

merlotgran Sat 23-Jun-18 10:01:08

Anything with fresh fruit from the garden. This morning it was gluten free cornflakes with strawberries. I also love porridge with a dollop of Greek yoghurt on top and a drizzle of honey.

DH likes to cook the Full English on Sunday mornings but I can no longer eat eggs first thing so for me it's grilled bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms.

annsixty Sat 23-Jun-18 09:03:00

It's toast and marmite for H and cereal with a chopped banana or prunes for me.
All day breakfast is our early evening meal every couple of weeks. Grilled bacon, fried eggs, pork sausages and fried mushrooms ,eaten with white toast. Fried bread can only be fried in bacon fat and bacon today doesn't produce any.
I'm really hungry now Mick.