Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Touching a stranger's baby

(98 Posts)
Granny3Rose Sun 26-Aug-18 11:36:17

Would you ever go up to a baby in a pram and touch it without the parent's permission? This is about my friend from childhood. She has always been very dominant - telling me what to do all the time and me finding it difficult or impossible to answer her back. If it were not for the fact that she is now the only person with whom I have shared memories of our time growing up in our home town I probably wouldn't choose her for a friend.

Yesterday I was at an evening event with her. We were queuing up for refreshments when she went up to a baby in a pram. I think the child was probably a couple of weeks old. It was just lying in its pram, looking at what was going on - not crying. Without asking the parents' permission she put her hand on it and gently rubbed its chest and abdomen saying ''Poor baby, you want to be at home in your cot, don't you?" I didn't see the parents' reaction because there was such a crush of people. But I thought it was not only wrong in general for her to do this, but maybe she could have done the baby harm if it had some medical problem or had just had an operation or something that she couldn't possibly know about. She was clearly very disapproving of the fact that the parents had such a young baby out with them in the evening.

But, because of how my relationship with my friend seems to work I felt unable to say anything to her about it.

jenpax Tue 28-Aug-18 07:21:31

Happysexagenarian My eldest is 33 so I guess Born in the same decade as your son, and I don’t remember anyone then still leaving babies outside shops in buggies/prams? I certainly would never have done so. but I do know that my parents generation (1960’s babies) did do this I am sure it was not common place by the mid 1980’s.
As for touching someone else’s baby I would not do this and would have been horrified if this had happened to me as a parent or recently as a grandparent.

Maggiemaybe Tue 28-Aug-18 08:03:34

Happysexagenarian, I remember my babies being given coins by strangers too, and actually being touched (gasp) and oddly, never felt the need to break someone’s arm for doing so. It’s not something I’d do these days (the touching or the arm breaking) but a few of the responses on what is supposed to be our non-judgemental space are nothing short of depressing. If I were struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, I don’t think this thread would be helping.

Jacquiwren Tue 28-Aug-18 08:07:36

Friendship however long or short should be two ways. Seems you are only one compromising allowing her to treat you that way. Sadly probably if you tried to speak to her she would only see it her way. Only you can decide if you want this negatively in your life.

pollysgran Tue 28-Aug-18 09:26:11

I’m amazed that some people think that what this woman did was sort of ok and well intentioned. She didn’t “touch the baby” she rubbed the child’s chest and abdomen which I find incredible. She then went on in that awful passive aggressive way to pass her opinion on the parents’ behaviour.
If someone I didn’t know, for example, touched my arm in a supermarket that would be ok, probably. If someone I didn’t know rubbed my chest and abdomen...? That would be assault.

Maggiemaybe Tue 28-Aug-18 10:07:35

And breaking their arm would be......?

Maggiemaybe Tue 28-Aug-18 10:09:23

I don’t somehow think Jo Cox would have put her name to the Gransnet Cafe.

Maggiemaybe Tue 28-Aug-18 10:12:31

Sorry, I’m being judgemental and possibly argumentative myself in this non-judgemental space. I’m off out for the day anyway so will back off. smile

Jalima1108 Tue 28-Aug-18 10:14:14

And breaking their arm would be......?
A normal reaction by the sounds of it these days.

I agree, Maggiemaybe

The Gransnet Café:
This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Non-judgemental! hmm
Perhaps GNHQ could move this thread to AIBU?

Just because I would like to squeeze a baby's chubby little knee doesn't mean I would
(don't want a broken arm to add to my problems)

Jalima1108 Tue 28-Aug-18 10:16:27

x post - sorry MMB I was agreeing with your earlier post, not the one about you being judgemental and possibly argumentative - you're not!

I am off out too. smile
Going to squeeze DGD's knee.

Newatthis Tue 28-Aug-18 10:24:26

Yes, I am guiltyas charged! I saw my daughter's neighbour coming out of her apartment block with her 1 year old, fully cladded out (i.e. with no skin showing except for her face) and I touched the baby's toe (once, she was wearing tights) with my forefinger and said "Wow, look how pretty you are" The touch lasted for a fraction of a second and I was told off by my daughter (afterwards) for touching the baby and indicated that some mothers don't like their baby to be touched. I feel that if any mother would have thought that this was inappropriate then it is she that has the problem, not me!

Newatthis Tue 28-Aug-18 11:22:45

Although I do think what your friend did was totally inappropriate.

Craicon Tue 28-Aug-18 14:36:21

If a strange man came up and grabbed your hand or patted your cheek just because you’d smiled at him, would that be ok with you?
Babies are not public property so it’s completely inappropriate to think you have the right to touch anyone’s else’s child without being invited to.

Elrel Tue 28-Aug-18 14:42:39

If a friend I was with did that I hope I'd be confident enough to tell her she shouldn't do it, as I would if she was eating grapes on display in the supermarket. I saw a group of female students doing that and wished I'd said something.

Newatthis Tue 28-Aug-18 15:00:16

I am not sure who Craicon or Elrel is responding to but I know my daughter's neighbour very well and she (nor the baby) is a stranger to me. That's not to say that either of you are wrong. Strangers should never touch babies or anyone else for that matter.

Craicon Tue 28-Aug-18 18:56:05

Newatthis I feel that if any mother would have thought that this was inappropriate then it is she that has the problem, not me!

I was responding to your post and pointing out that as a society, we no longer accept that men are entitled to grope attractive women and, therefore, shouldn’t the same courtesy be applied to babies? They are not public property no matter how cute they look. ??‍♀️

Newatthis Tue 28-Aug-18 19:15:52

Touching a baby's toe for a nano second (on a foot that is covered by woolly tights) with the tip of my forefinger is now comparable with men groping women???? - please - on what planet?

muffinthemoo Tue 28-Aug-18 19:22:18

Are you used to being touched by strangers without warning or your agreement, and are you ok with it?

Not being facetious: if you are, then you probably do have different social boundaries than the folk who have a different view on this thread.

I don’t accept people touching me without warning - in the case of the very few people I’m ok with touching me - and I apply the same to my little ones until they are old enough to decide for themselves. If they offer to hug someone, I’m absolutely fine with it (their decision!) but they’ve never been made to hug anyone, including me.

Jalima1108 Tue 28-Aug-18 19:33:54

I don't mind, it depends on the touching.

When we were out for a meal a while ago we got chatting to the couple on the next table, very amicable conversation. When we left, the man pulled me down for a peck on the cheek. I didn't like it very much, but I wouldn't have minded if he'd patted me on the arm and said 'bye', nice to chat to you.

Jalima1108 Tue 28-Aug-18 19:35:29

but they’ve never been made to hug anyone,
I think that's sensible.

Feeling that they must hug someone even if they don't want to could set a dangerous precedent.

muffinthemoo Tue 28-Aug-18 21:45:53

Jalima precisely the reason I have always told them they don’t have to do it. Indeed parents now are encouraged to make it clear from an early age that a child’s no to unnecessary touching should be respected.

It’s not rude to not like or want someone, anyone, all up in your personal space.

I appreciate other folk are different!!

Elrel Sat 01-Sep-18 23:32:27

Newatthis - I was responding to Granny3Rose, not to your post. Touching a baby, when you already know her mother, on her little woolly toe sounds perfectly ok to me. I'm surprised your daughter thought you shouldn't have done it.

MaudLillian Sun 02-Sep-18 09:43:31

No! I would never touch another person's baby or child without their permission! I smile at children and babies, I can't help it, but I would not touch them, uninvited.