Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Pet Peeves

(102 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 12-Aug-19 09:06:51

Welcome all budding Victor Meldrews! What annoys you most?

I have many, many annoyances. One is noise! I love my peace and quiet and solitude. Really annoys me when in my rare moments of peace, it's destroyed by irritatingly loud interlopers.

GabriellaG54 Mon 12-Aug-19 12:54:44

I agree with all the other comments before mine, therefore no need to repeat.
I too am comfortable in my own company.

b1zzle Mon 12-Aug-19 12:58:39

The absence of a sensible explanation as to why, after searching high and low for an hour, I found my glasses in the kitchen waste bin!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Mon 12-Aug-19 13:02:45

Bin men who leave the recycling bins hurled across roads and pavements and who throw rejected stuff from the recycling bins onto the floor (though littering was an offence?).
People talking while they're eating particularly on the phone - the noise of chomping and slobbering directly into my ear is enough to make me heave!

kircubbin2000 Mon 12-Aug-19 13:03:34

Loud background music in cafes and shops. I asked the hotel receptionist to turn it down but she said she couldn't. Also in gym and pool.

Scribbles Mon 12-Aug-19 13:07:54

Cyclists who ride on the pavement.
Cyclists who think red traffic lights don't apply to them.
People eating smelly fast food on trains and buses.

Nvella Mon 12-Aug-19 13:11:01

People who have long loud conversations on their mobiles using hands free on the bus/tube/train. I have to carry headphones so I can listen to music and drown them out

Kim19 Mon 12-Aug-19 13:14:37

People who open/close windows on public transport at will with not a single consideration for the comfort of the other passengers.

Rutheleanor Mon 12-Aug-19 13:22:43

Just a plea for understanding for chewing gum users:I suffer from burning mouth syndrome and chewing gum is about the only way I can get relief. I try to be as discrete as possible as until I had this problem I always hated the look of it too

sharon103 Mon 12-Aug-19 13:26:14

I hate being told what to do.
Noisy eaters.
Mobile phone zombies.
People who block the aisle in a supermarket having a chin-wag.

Foxyferret Mon 12-Aug-19 13:30:04

Cars overtaking me when I am driving at the speed limit, especially in a 30 zone.

JANH Mon 12-Aug-19 13:31:45

People who eat with their mouths open, it turns my stomach
Noisy music in cars - do they really have to share
Loud mobile phone users, hands free while walking - why
Bike users on pavements- there is a by-law that bans this
Adverts on tv- the noise level immediately goes up

Curlywhirly Mon 12-Aug-19 13:50:51

Reality TV and some of the talentless "stars" it creates
Tatoos - sorry, I know they are very popular, but why anyone would want to scribble all over themselves is just beyond me
Adults who swear infront of their young children

grannylyn65 Mon 12-Aug-19 13:59:37

My pet peeve is the cats bringing mice in

Legs55 Mon 12-Aug-19 14:02:00

Rudeness, drivers who don't acknowledge the fact you've given way to them: people who don't say thank you when you hold doors open for them.

Noisy, unruly children anywhere especially parents who ignore bad behavior.

People who carry on loud conversations on their mobiles in public.

I'm definitely turning into a "Grumpy Old Woman" & I'm only 64grin

dianetheartist Mon 12-Aug-19 14:19:47

All of the bloody competitions that seem to be on every daytime program every 5 mins.. I am disabled so watch a lot of TV. I now watch everything on catch up so I can wizz through them all.

Nanna58 Mon 12-Aug-19 14:23:59

My peeve is about my pet. I hate the way my dog pretends he needs to ‘go’ in the garden then when I get to the door he doubles back and takes my place on the sofa. And not wanting an accident at fall for it every time?

sarahellenwhitney Mon 12-Aug-19 14:28:09

Not just 'most' but from a list. My 'pet' being ignorance.
Seems to be from many quarters of 'trade' and becoming the norm.If we request an electrician/ builder, via the email address they provide it is not for the pleasure of their company but because we have a ' bl****' problem in that quarter.Too difficult to respond ? easier to ignore ?

Millie22 Mon 12-Aug-19 14:32:05

My pet peeve is the dog walkers who wake me up ridiculously early in the morning. They walk along the path behind our house and seem to forget that we can hear everything they say. So we know all about people's medical problems, relationship issues and so much more.

sharon103 Mon 12-Aug-19 14:49:00

Same here sarahellenwhitney

kircubbin2000 Mon 12-Aug-19 15:15:21

Neighbours who neglect their garden bordering mine. Girl behind started to cut down unsightly tree, made a mess of it and left it looking worse than when she started.

Alima Mon 12-Aug-19 15:25:28

Currently it my biggest, most liable to make me blow a gasket pet hate is those bar stewards who park on the pavement. Totally blocking the right of way for the old, young, those in a pram etc. One of these days I will, I really will.....

pennyh47 Mon 12-Aug-19 15:35:25

Another gum chewer here. My mouth gets very dry and chewing helps. I chew with my mouth closed and save the wrapper to put it in until I can bin it

pennyh47 Mon 12-Aug-19 15:36:08

Meant to add my pet peeve is litter. Just sheer laziness and ignorance

Nonnie Mon 12-Aug-19 16:03:02

Quite a lot of the above but some of the things listed don't seem to apply to me as I haven't experienced them. I'm feeling very fortunate compared to some.

I can only add the people who say something wrong/incorrect, accidentally or deliberately, and won't simply apologise when they are proved/shown they are wrong. They don't seem to realise that if you make a mistake and apologise everyone forgets it but if you refuse to recognise and apologise everyone remembers

glammagran Mon 12-Aug-19 16:15:05

Agree with everything said above. Particularly eating with one’s mouth open. I have to put up with this every mealtime. Husband insists he can’t breathe otherwise. It should be a hanging offence.