Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Golden Wedding Party - would it be reasonable ------

(36 Posts)
cossybabe Mon 10-Jan-22 11:24:41

We are planning our Golden Wedding anniversary party - we are hiring a Pullman coach on our local steam railway with a buffet. About 35 people will be coming.
There will be a private bar - we would pay for the first drinks and for the champagne to toast with.
Would it be reasonable to ask people to pay for any other drinks?

Elizabeth27 Mon 10-Jan-22 11:42:17

It has been a long time since I went to an event where all drinks were supplied, I think it is usual for people to pay for their own.

What a lovely venue, perfect for a Golden Wedding anniversary.

Septimia Mon 10-Jan-22 11:44:28

I, too, think that it is quite usual for people to pay for any drinks they want beyond the ones supplied. It might be worthwhile making sure that people know that.....

It sounds like it should be a brilliant celebration!

Humbertbear Mon 10-Jan-22 12:56:33

At our Golden Wedding We gave champagne for the first drink and had an open bar. Very few people had a second drink - there was a run on tea and coffee. Older people don’t drink so much and everyone was driving.

25Avalon Mon 10-Jan-22 13:06:04

How lovely. Perfectly reasonable for people to buy subsequent drinks. We run a small bar and this is quite common.

Visgir1 Mon 10-Jan-22 13:17:32

Sound lovely. Agree let them pay, but if you can afford it have a free bar.
Only 35 people sure they won't take advantage if the age group is more mature. We have done free bars and the overall cost was always a nice surprise. No one took advantage.

Bossyrossy Mon 10-Jan-22 13:22:59

We put an amount behind the bar to cover drinks. When that amount was reached, people had to buy their own. However older people don’t usually drink to get drunk so we had money back when it came time to pay the bill. Happy anniversary.

Kim19 Mon 10-Jan-22 15:42:53

Absolutely fine. I would have no trouble in flashing my cash at all. Hope it all goes well for you both. Sounds wonderfully well thought out. ?

Esspee Mon 10-Jan-22 18:23:46

I hope the celebration is well in the future, once the pandemic fizzles out, as most people I know are avoiding indoor functions.

Hetty58 Mon 10-Jan-22 18:27:46

Esspee, agreed - nobody in their right mind is keen to go to any events - with Omicron cases causing chaos here. Where in the world are you? (Or - is it planet GN again?)

valdali Mon 10-Jan-22 18:34:15

Happy Anniversary! The bar arrangements sound fine, I don't think I would expect the first drink free, but it's a generous gesture. Hope youhave a lovely time

Harris27 Mon 10-Jan-22 18:37:41

Aw that’s lovely happy anniversary yes people wouldn’t expect more than this. Have a lovely day.

MerylStreep Mon 10-Jan-22 18:40:10

Esspee &Hetty
Can we please leave the gloom and doom out of this joyous thread. Whatever you do Cossybabe enjoy ??

Peasblossom Mon 10-Jan-22 18:51:37

It is common to do this. But please let people know so they bring some money/credit card with them?

Kim19 Mon 10-Jan-22 21:40:56

Can't imagine ever going out without immediate access to personal finance.

V3ra Mon 10-Jan-22 21:55:58

Sounds absolutely lovely ?
I'd just say tell people exactly what's included and that there will be a pay bar after that. No problem as long as people know.
Have a wonderful day! ??

GrannyRose15 Mon 10-Jan-22 22:34:37

Yes its OK. Put it on the invitation (in fairly small print).

Peasblossom Mon 10-Jan-22 22:53:42

Kim19

Can't imagine ever going out without immediate access to personal finance.

I once got badly caught out at a Christening. I hadn’t occurred to me they’d pass the collection plate round in Church.

I’d just taken a £20 note for emergencies. Too embarrassed to pass the plate on, so I had to put it in?

Letting people know just makes it clear and avoids things like someone going up to get drinks for a group and not realising it has to be paid for.

cossybabe Tue 11-Jan-22 10:35:13

Esspee

I hope the celebration is well in the future, once the pandemic fizzles out, as most people I know are avoiding indoor functions.

The date is in October, naturally, we have taken out insurance that does cover Covis related issues.

Thank you everyone for your input - I really do appreciate it - just hope I don't murder him before the event - would be a shame to miss out on a party :-)

crazyH Tue 11-Jan-22 10:57:06

How lovely cossybabe - whatever you plan to do, I hope you have a great time. And congratulations ? ? ? ? xx

Kim19 Tue 11-Jan-22 12:27:41

P, unlike you, I would have managed to pass the plate on without a contribution. No, not with joy but a kind of 'drat' feeling.

Hil1910 Tue 11-Jan-22 13:32:22

Sounds like a great way to celebrate. I assume that your guests will need to drive to the venue in which case I doubt whether they will actually drink much alcohol. However soft drinks are often just as expensive as alcoholic ones so you might want to factor that in.

Millie22 Tue 11-Jan-22 13:47:46

cossybabe
Congratulations ...what a lovely idea.

Peasblossom
At a church service just before Christmas they had a 'quiet' collection so minimum £5 and someone with a card machine at the door ?

Kim19 Tue 11-Jan-22 13:51:15

Goodness me! ?

Freedom2017 Tue 11-Jan-22 14:00:09

I think this is a lovely idea, as long as you let everyone know. Our Golden Anniversary is also in October but hopefully we will be on Safari in Kenya, don’t really do parties.