Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Don’t Kill Cash Petition

(120 Posts)
Primrose53 Tue 04-Jul-23 12:34:21

This petition started yesterday evening and is up to nearly 50,000 already.

www.gbnews.com/cash

I hope some people on here will sign it because the idea of not having cash is dreadful. I like cash as I can keep track of it and I can spend it how I choose without Big Brother watching where I go, what I buy, etc.

I am not such a dinosaur that I don’t use my cards but I do like to give tips, give to street collections, pay tradespeople etc. I have also been in shops where the card machines pack up and you have no choice BUT to use cash.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Jul-23 12:52:20

Have you read the wording of the petition? It asks for legislation to protect the status of cash as legal tender. Cash is legal tender. You can offer cash at the shop if you wish, you can withdraw cash to spend as you wish. It’s up to people to use cash if they want it to continue in existence.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Jul-23 12:54:19

Germanshepherdsmum

Have you read the wording of the petition? It asks for legislation to protect the status of cash as legal tender. Cash is legal tender. You can offer cash at the shop if you wish, you can withdraw cash to spend as you wish. It’s up to people to use cash if they want it to continue in existence.

Yes

GrannyGravy13 Tue 04-Jul-23 13:07:24

Whilst I agree with you GSM we have been to numerous, hotels, restaurants and shops recently and when we tried to pay with cash were told that they only accepted debit or credit cards.

I think that Merlin Entertainments parks no longer accept cash, LegoLand definitely doesn’t accept cash in its hotel or any of the concessions in the park.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Jul-23 13:10:41

I don’t think any establishment should be forced to accept cash if they have a reason not to want to do so, security for instance.

karmalady Tue 04-Jul-23 13:12:09

I have signed it. I want to keep the choice. Lately waitrose and b and q did not have any cash tills available

winterwhite Tue 04-Jul-23 13:16:26

As the petition states, many of those who rely on cash have no alternative and are not large spenders. So the use it or lose it argument isn't really applicable.

This sounds to me like banks closing umpteen branches and then using decreased footfall as a reason for closing umpteen more.

Primrose53 Tue 04-Jul-23 13:58:02

We recently holidayed at Warners Leisure Hotels who have sites all over the UK and they are now ALL CASHLESS. I would have much preferred to pay for our drinks etc with cash but we didn’t have that option.

I heard several people at Reception complaining about this and some were saying they would not use Warners again for this reason.

Jaxjacky Tue 04-Jul-23 13:59:51

Signed.

Rosie51 Tue 04-Jul-23 14:11:43

To be accurate the petition doesn’t just ask for cash to remain legal tender.
I call on the Government to introduce legislation to protect the status of cash as legal tender and as a widely accepted means of payment in the UK until at least 2050

FannyCornforth Tue 04-Jul-23 14:15:58

Signed.

Does anyone know if there is a precedent of this elsewhere?
Anecdotally or otherwise?

Primrose53 Tue 04-Jul-23 14:18:33

Germanshepherdsmum

Of course I read it. It’s about protecting our right to use cash and we all know that is becoming more and more difficult. As myself and others have pointed out lots of places already insist you pay by card which a lot of us don’t want to do.

Primrose53 Tue 04-Jul-23 14:41:21

Center Parcs is also cashless and have you noticed how many tills at supermarkets are now displaying CARD ONLY signs at their tills?

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Jul-23 14:45:49

I don’t know why anyone would object to paying by card in some places and having cash to spend elsewhere. Carrying a wad of notes round with you isn’t very sensible these days. If your card is lost or stolen that can be quickly sorted out with no financial loss - lose your cash and you’re unlikely to see it again.

Shinamae Tue 04-Jul-23 14:49:34

Signed

grannyrebel7 Tue 04-Jul-23 14:57:13

I'm all for a cashless society so I won't be signing. It's just so much easier to use a card. I don't understand why you would want to hang on to this outdated method of paying.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Jul-23 14:58:43

Frankly the petition makes no sense as it is worded. If there is an underlying desire to remove the legal right of a business to require payment by card it should say so. But it doesn’t.

Rosie51 Tue 04-Jul-23 15:05:34

grannyrebel7

I'm all for a cashless society so I won't be signing. It's just so much easier to use a card. I don't understand why you would want to hang on to this outdated method of paying.

There are people, like my grandson, who have learning difficulties and while able to understand cash will have difficulty with cards. They are not the only category of people for whom cash is a desirable method of transaction. Why on earth would you seek to deny others the choice? You can be entirely cashless without seeking to impose it on others.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 04-Jul-23 15:31:37

I strongly object to having the option of paying with cash taken away from me or anyone else.

Pounds Sterling is the legal currency of the U.K. and as such should be excepted as payment anywhere within the U.K.

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Jul-23 15:36:33

GrannyGravy13

Whilst I agree with you GSM we have been to numerous, hotels, restaurants and shops recently and when we tried to pay with cash were told that they only accepted debit or credit cards.

I think that Merlin Entertainments parks no longer accept cash, LegoLand definitely doesn’t accept cash in its hotel or any of the concessions in the park.

This is happening in other countries too.
The City Council of one city in Australia said they would no longer accept cash, even for purchasing a roll of refuse sacks from them, so there was a big televised protest.
The protestors won and, of course, cash is legal tender.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Jul-23 15:36:35

Businesses are not legally obliged to accept cash and I see no problem with that - they are vulnerable to thieves. The cash sits in the shop/office/whatever until someone takes it to the bank - I wouldn’t want to be that person. There are no proposals to close the Royal Mint that I know of.

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Jul-23 15:38:19

Why on earth would you seek to deny others the choice? You can be entirely cashless without seeking to impose it on others.

👏👏👏 Well said Rosie51

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Jul-23 15:38:54

You are far safer using your card than carrying a wad of notes Calli. It wouldn’t occur to me to pay a hotel or restaurant bill in cash, but I use cash for tips.

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Jul-23 15:39:44

FannyCornforth

Signed.

Does anyone know if there is a precedent of this elsewhere?
Anecdotally or otherwise?

Yes, in Australia FannyCornforth

AGAA4 Tue 04-Jul-23 15:43:36

I rarely use cash now but I know some people rely on it. All my GCs and their friends use their phones to pay for everything now and as they are the new generation of adults I can't see cash lasting as payment.