Gransnet forums

Health

Hips and knees, mainly knees.

(98 Posts)
soontobe Sat 29-Nov-14 18:39:15

I know of so many people in their 70s and 80s who have had replacement hips and knees.

I have spent half my life in a house, and the other half in a bungalow.
I am wondering if my knees in particular could benefit from using steps more?
We have steps outside which I could easily go up and down more.

I suppose what I am asking is, if hips and knees wear out, is it advisable to exercise them more, or not?
[I dont do much exercise. Not sure if that is relevant or not].

soontobe Mon 01-Dec-14 14:15:03

WD40 grin

soontobe Mon 01-Dec-14 14:17:50

Is it the time of year for hip and knee operations? I know that sounds a silly thing to write, but
I too know people having them in the next couple of weeks.
But I live in a tourist area, so I have wondered whether operations such as that are schedules when there is not the influx of visitors.

pompa Mon 01-Dec-14 14:23:58

The surgeon who did my knee does 5/6 a day, three days a week, every week of the year. he also operates at the NHS hospital. So I don't think there is a season for them.

pompa Fri 12-Dec-14 08:06:06

Landmark in my knee recovery - I got my leg over this morning smile

NfkDumpling Fri 12-Dec-14 08:16:40

Congratulations Pompa! (Words fail me!)

Greyduster Fri 12-Dec-14 09:12:36

This past couple of years I have started to have problems with my hip; I don't know what triggers it, but I think it must be the result of a fall I had trying to stop my GS falling down the stairs when he was about three - I fell down the stairs instead! DH and I walk regularly, and if it's troublesome then, I try and walk through it and it usually settles down. I suppose there'll come a time when it stops settling down. I feel it particularly when I am fishing. I stand for long periods (usually I'm water), and the next day, I can hardly move. However, as I would rather suffer than hang up my rod, on my head be it!

soontobe Fri 12-Dec-14 09:40:36

ok pompa!

I have been eating more oily fish lately which has helped to an extent, so Soutra talking about WD40 was not far off.
And I am going to buy some fish oil capsules as I could still benefit from more oil I think.
And am doing more step exercises.

Soutra Fri 12-Dec-14 09:43:18

Pompa tchwinktchwink
Like nfk I am speechless -with admiration of course.

Anne58 Fri 12-Dec-14 10:19:16

Pompa yes, those bicycle crossbars can be a real challenge, can't they!

Greyduster Fri 12-Dec-14 10:37:12

grin

Anne58 Fri 12-Dec-14 10:45:58

More seriously, I have noticed a slight problem putting my knickers or trousers on whilst standing up. Putting my right leg in is fine, but when I go to put my left leg in, I'm getting a bit of pain in my hip.

Incidentally, there is a theory that left handed people put their right leg in first, right handed people do left leg first.

pompa Fri 12-Dec-14 10:50:48

Pheonix, you have the measure of me. hmm

Of course I meant that I managed to get my left leg over my right so that I could get my socks on without yoga style contortions. What else ?

Soutra Fri 12-Dec-14 10:52:47

TMI. tchgrin

tanith Fri 12-Dec-14 10:56:58

I have a problem lifting my THR leg up its been that way since my surgery, instead of foot up to put on my sock its bend down further lol... since my knees are joining its even more difficult but I won't be beaten. I am very careful crossing legs even after all this time dislocation free, I don't want to risk it.

pompa Thu 18-Dec-14 08:59:04

My new knee has improved quite suddenly. Off any regular pain relief, walking without stick most of the time. Only in pain if I sit too long, but soon goes off once I get moving. Problems with right hip (bursitis) slowly improving, but not waking me any longer.

My only problem is parking my car, I still need to open my car door fully to get in/out, worried that I will get hemmed in by other cars. Drive round hunting for an end space. Think it will be a long while before I get significantly more bend in the knee.

Ariadne Thu 18-Dec-14 12:32:03

That is good to hear, pompa!

I am a bit sad - (I have mentioned this elsewhere, so apologies) I was due to have my final bit of reconstruction - my hip replacement - yesterday, but it has been postponed until January 7th, because of emergencies.

I completely understand that Orthopaedics and Trauma departments can be suddenly overwhelmed, and my treatment through a new knee, and both cataracts has been amazing. But that's being logical; emotionally I was really fed up. Also, the pain is horrible.

Still, every present is wrapped, every card sent....

NfkDumpling Thu 18-Dec-14 16:05:09

Good news Pompa - you won't be needing the gunk then!

It's annoying (to put it mildly) isn't it Ariadne - so many hospitals are having problems at present. It seems to be worse every year. All three main hospitals in Norfolk are under pressure and bouncing in and out of 'black alert' and joint replacement ops are regularly out sourced to private hospitals which must be more expensive. 7th January isn't too far away though and it means you won't be feeling groggy over Christmas. Fingers crossed all is ok for January.

Ariadne Thu 18-Dec-14 16:17:27

Thanks, Nfk! I am fine now, but just hope January will be OK. 7th is my birthday, but not a significant one.

pompa Thu 18-Dec-14 16:50:53

The "Gunk" is still on the back burner, but Dr. wants to give it a few months to see if it heals without. He says there are some dangers with the gunk and wants to wait and see.

Charleygirl Thu 18-Dec-14 19:02:21

phoenix I had not heard of that before- I always put my right leg into knickers and trousers first and I am also left handed. I do sit down to do it or I would fall over.

pompa what % of knee bend have you achieved? You should manage at least 90%. I achieved 110% on day 2 but I have no idea how- it just happened.

pompa Thu 18-Dec-14 19:36:26

Not sure of the exact figure now. I had 95deg at my last physio, guess it's about 100deg now. Physio said that 105 deg was good, but said it could take up to a year to achieve it. Trying to bend further than it wants to go is very painful, keep pushing it as much as I can bear.

Mishap Thu 18-Dec-14 19:52:16

You obviously have very gung-ho physios. When I told mine that one of the exercises hurt she told me not to do it to the extent that it hurts. My blessed hip is still hurting after 12 weeks - particularly in the groin. I am waiting to get some other health issues sorted before tackling this - I will talk to physio first and see what she says.

Nelliemoser Thu 18-Dec-14 19:56:55

Pompa and Charleygirl that is good movement.

After I had my should tendons repaired last year and I was allowed to start proper exercise I had to try and get it so mobile I could get my arm moving through 180dgrs while lying on the floor.

It took ages and was very painful and the physios had to "nag" me but when I eventually got there it felt like a great achievement.

You have to really work at these exercises as shown There is just no easy alternative.

annodomini Thu 18-Dec-14 20:05:19

My big achievement, a year after partial shoulder replacement was to be able to fasten my bra with both hands round the back. Sadly, after a setback when I shovelled snow too enthusiastically a few years ago, I wasn't able to do this any longer! tchsad

pompa Thu 18-Dec-14 20:07:08

Mishap, recovery from hips and knees is totally different. Hips must NOT be over flexed for fear of dislocation, you rely on the muscles to keep the hip in place. You need gentle exercise to build the muscles up, which should not be too painful.
Knees still have the ligaments in place and the joint cannot be over flexed. In order to get a knee back to normal you have to flex it way beyond comfort to stretch the scar tissue etc. Every 1 deg improvement involves a lot of painful flexing.