Gransnet forums

Health

Peri-menopause anyone?

(62 Posts)
rubylady Sun 24-Jan-16 03:37:41

I am in the stages of peri-menopause. (I do wish it would all end confused. For the last week I have felt dizzy, had the headache from hell, been eating painkillers, felt all fuzzy in my head, my eyes have been sensitive to light and I've wanted quiet. My emotions are all over the place, from weeping to being aggitated to sleeping a lot. (Sorry if any of my posts have been off this week, it's not me really blush).

My last period was three weeks ago and I started again early yesterday morning (around 3am). I am really heavy (not just me grin), my period. I am using 2 or more night-time pads at once.

What are other people's experience of this stage, if it's ok for me to ask please? How long did it last? Did you get the headaches (they've been a 9 this week, giving birth was less painful!).

--

Hello. This thread is a little old now. Take a look at our perimenopause symptoms and treatment page for more up-to-date advice. GNHQ.

lesleys Wed 25-May-16 22:12:34

Hi, I would just like to share that my little miracle when I was going through the menopause was Wild Yam Root! I had most of the symptoms mentioned in this thread including headaches, flooding, irregularity, hot flushes etc etc but after starting taking Wild Yam Root they all cleared up! Amazing! Apparently it works as a natural hormone replacement and can also ease menstrual symptoms as well as menopausal (I wish I had known this years ago!)and if you are able to take it I would wholeheartedly recommend giving it a go! I know it won't suit everybody but what have you got to lose?! Good luck!

rubylady Thu 26-May-16 00:23:46

Thanks ladies. I will chat more in a day or two but I have no energy at present. I am going to get to bed now and go to an emergency appointment in the morning for some iron tablets. I can't even get to the kettle without feeling wiped out. I don't know why the doc in a and e didn't prescribe me with any while I was there. Anyway, see you all soon. Take good care of yourselves. smile

BBbevan Thu 26-May-16 08:30:27

Bless you Rubylady Take it easy and have a good rest. This will all pass you know. Keep that thought in mind when things are awful sunshine

rubylady Thu 26-May-16 23:01:40

Got my iron tablets but feel utterly wiped out. I've just ordered a pizza because I can't manage to cook tonight and his royal highness is far too busy doing something for his friend to attend to any of my needs, so pizza it is.

Anyone know how long it will take until the iron tablets will make me feel less like a bag of wet washing? sad

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-May-16 23:05:24

I think it takes months for supplements to kick in, but so long as you rest and eat well for now, you will most likely to pick up again soon.

rubylady Fri 27-May-16 00:25:30

Thanks jing that cheered me up no end. Months? Not in a good place at all tonight. I do try not to give in to feeling rubbish but it's got me tonight.

If I have to eat well and can't manage to cook for myself, I need a topless waiter to come along and look after me. (Sorry, just trying to lighten my load.) And someone to clean up a bit and someone to take my wonderful darling son away for a week to give me a well deserved break from the little rugrat!

rubylady Fri 27-May-16 01:27:21

Well, just ordered some steak and lamb for tomorrow, along with paper plates and plastic forks. If no one will help me out then I'll make it as easy as possible for the next few days for myself. Can't manage anything on the topless waiter just yet. sad But I did pay for my son's travel to his first festival next month so six glorious days peace and quiet there. grin

GarlicCake Fri 27-May-16 12:59:14

Good for you, ruby smile

I have ME and am unable to put a meal together for weeks at a time. The only way round it (I live alone) is to try & make sure I have stuff that doesn't need cooking - or can just be microwaved - and am now the world authority on one-pot meals!

I shan't bore you with the details, just waving a few pom-poms for you, and hoping to reassure that lots of people don't "cook properly" for various reasons. A slow cooker can be a godsend - chuck everything in regardless, turn on and go back to bed grin

I'm having to restrain myself from commenting that you live with two adults who should be taking better care of you! While you're probably too wiped out to give them the much-needed boot up the arse, is there someone else who can do it on your behalf?

Well done on the red meat. It will get into your system quicker than the supplement (you need both, of course.) Keep it up! And be kind to yourself, please.

Grandmapat1 Mon 30-May-16 14:01:43

rubylady going through same thing none stop for 18/21 days at a time clots wearing 2 night time pads and having to change after 30 mins as flooded. Church ws the worst where covered the pew seat and had toleave after 20 mins to change which was so embarrassing (another lady sorted the pew bless her and checked I was ok) My doctor and practice nurse have been brilliant I have had blood tests ultra sounds (external and internal) and xrays to make sure nothing is wrong . They tried putting me on a pill to stop the bleeding that didnt work so 3 days ago I have had a minerva coil fitted heres hoping it works! I am feeling positive about it as it cant go on forever and will hopefully work so I can have a life again, meet friend, not feel so exhausted and be generally in a better place health wise. You have my sympathies just keep on at your GP and they should help

rubylady Tue 31-May-16 01:51:44

Grandmapat Thank you for your message. I feel for you, you must have felt awful in church but it couldn't be helped, what are we supposed to do? Stay in all the time? I've not been out since a weel last Saturday apart from doctors. What has your doctor said yours is? I've got more tablets to stem the bleed if it happens again next month. Just eating cake, I've heard that it helps restoring iron levels. wink

Linzjord1 Mon 19-Oct-20 10:10:13

Hi im 48 years old and seem to have every symptom going from anxiety, spotting between periods, sleep deprivation, very emotional, feeling empty, stress and aches and stiff joints, have a doctors appt today but very worried it could be something else. I dont want to go on hrt but do u think this is what perimenopausal symptoms are?