Gransnet forums

Health

Bigger boobs - is it due to HRT?

(41 Posts)
minimo Thu 15-Sep-16 14:34:08

I've been on HRT for about 6 months and recently I've noticed my bras getting very tight. Thought it might have been general weight gain but I haven't really noticed any change in my other clothes. I got measured today and I've gone up a whole cup size! Has anyone else experienced this as a result of HRT? Is only thing I can think of...

Kateykrunch Thu 15-Sep-16 14:44:52

Not HRT with me, but my boobs are getting bigger by the day!! It could be dolly mixtures, crisps, cake and chocolate to blame, but blinking heck. I seem to remember reading somewhere that our boobs do get bigger around this age (61 in my case).

Teetime Thu 15-Sep-16 14:58:57

No I haven't noticed anything and been on HRT for about 10 years now. You might mention it at your next check up - I'm assuming you do your breast checks regularly don't you?

M0nica Thu 15-Sep-16 15:09:31

Not on HRT, but my boobs did get bigger after I retired, mainly because I put on weight. I lost the weight and my boobs returned to the size they have been since my late teens. I am over 70 so obviously the boobs getting bigger as you get older problem has yet to affect me.

Badenkate Thu 15-Sep-16 15:47:59

I think eventually with age they start getting smaller - but I'm still at the bigger stage myself!

kittylester Thu 15-Sep-16 15:50:49

Pregnancy??

Maranta Thu 15-Sep-16 16:15:50

I wish I had the bigger stage. Mine shrank when I went through the menopause at age 58 and I've hardly seen them since! envy

NfkDumpling Thu 15-Sep-16 17:49:16

I've been on oestrogen only HRT (now apparently good for you!!) for 15 years at least and, yes my boobs are bigger - but so is the rest of me. Don't think it's the HRT.

gillybob Thu 15-Sep-16 18:20:19

I have been on the combined HRT for around 6 months too minimo and my boobygones are exactly the same size they always were, small. At least they aren't droopy.

Slight change of subject.... but apart from helping with the night sweats I am not seeing any other benefits whatsoever.

TerriBull Thu 15-Sep-16 19:34:23

I have been on combined patches for 3 months, haven't noticed any difference thank God they are big enough as it is. I echo your experiences gillybob helping with night sweats only, I'd love more energy.

floorflock Fri 16-Sep-16 09:52:38

I have been pondering about this myself for a while now. I blame the menopause (a still in it though - hard luck) without HRT. I look at them all the time as they seem to have a life of their own now and feel massive. It's good to hear that I am not the only one...

minimo Fri 16-Sep-16 10:00:02

Definitely not pregnancy thanks very much kitty!
Though interesting to hear it's affected you in same way floorflock.
Will make an appointment with my GP just to check up. Maybe I'm in denial and there is more of me everywhere... wink

AliBeeee Fri 16-Sep-16 10:06:48

I've never been on HRT, but when I hit 51 they started getting bigger by the day, so noticeable that everyone commented. Over a few months I went from a C to a G cup...and they are still that size 6 years on. My weight has reduced by about a stone in that time, but nothing has changed there. My OH gives thanks to the 'middle-age booby fairy'. I don't really like it, getting good fitting clothes is a nightmare.
I was similarly visited by the 'pregnancy boob-fairy' 31 years ago, but that only lasted until the end of breast feeding.

inishowen Fri 16-Sep-16 10:19:48

Mine got huge during my pregnancies and never went back to their normal size. Now they're huge, and hard to cope with. Going without a bra is painful. Also I can't get a bra to really fit. They ride up at the back because of the huge weight at the front pulling everything down. By the way I've never taken HRT.

vincent19 Fri 16-Sep-16 10:27:10

Thought it was just me ..... Gone up 2 cup sizes am 57 not on any HRT and sailed through menopause I'm not complaining ?

Seb2015 Fri 16-Sep-16 10:32:48

I don't want to get all tree huggy here - and I definitely don't want to tell people what meds to take or not take but... just as a matter of interest, do you know where they get the hormones for HRT from? I really don't want a barrage of abuse here - and for all I know there are different, and perhaps synthetic sources...

Ramblingrose22 Fri 16-Sep-16 10:38:37

I wish HRT would have the same effect on me! If anyone knows how to increase boob size without getting pregnant, HRT, implants or putting on huge amounts of weight everywhere, please let me know!

Jaycee5 Fri 16-Sep-16 10:49:43

I'm 64 and my boobs have never been bigger. I am a bit overweight but a largish 14 so not that much. I have gone in a relatively short time from a 36D to a 38E. I have a drawer full of barely worn or unworn bras that don't are too small. I keep them because may one day ...
I am quite short so am top heavy.
I am not on HRT. I think it is just that I don't do much exercise nowadays. I never did much but just in little ways, like rarely needing to walk up stairs and not being able to rush around. It all goes on my stomach or bust though but that will be the last places I will lose it from.

Swanny Fri 16-Sep-16 11:06:51

My boobs grew a lot when I stopped HRT grin. I have put on a little bit on tum and bum since retiring but my 'frontage' has gone from 34D to 36FF shock

oldgoose Fri 16-Sep-16 11:31:55

I've never taken HRT but my boobs have grown over the years. I think it must be some sort of hormone thing. Trouble is, as we age we have more testosterone, so we will all have deep voices and huge knockers.

Craftycat Fri 16-Sep-16 12:03:16

I have a horrible feeling that as they get less firm they take up more space in your bra.I've always been 36E even when I was a size 12 in jeans ( I remember those days!)but recently I have got up 2 cup sizes.
Never taken HRT.

Phoebes Fri 16-Sep-16 12:30:30

I haven't out on weight and my boobs have gone from a B cup to an F cup. Still a 36 though. Can't explain it!!

Anya Fri 16-Sep-16 12:36:55

Yes Seb and as an animal lover I asked, and was prescribed, a plant based HRT. Don't ask me what one it was.

Yes, I've gone from a 34c to a 34F. I'm aboutb7lb heavier than I was when I was working. I think it's an age thing.

lizzypopbottle Fri 16-Sep-16 13:04:38

My mum had big boobs and my older sister does but mine were always small (virtually non-existent during my teens). I endured a lot of jokes about my lack of curves but I thank my lucky stars for small boobs. It never stopped boys fancying me, nor did the family nose I inherited! After breastfeeding, my temporary bazookas shrivelled away to nothing. My late husband referred to them (affectionately) as a couple of empty baccy pouches! They filled out a bit eventually though. I'm happy with them.

Breasts get bigger during pregnancy because the mammary tissue/milk ducts develop. Apart from that, which shrinks away after weaning, they consist mostly of fat so they will get smaller if you lose weight and vice versa. Trouble is, weight is lost all over so it's slow to show. I think it's a good idea to consult your GP about any changes you notice when you start HRT but it's also worth checking your weight and measuring your waist once a week in case it's simply weight gain. Then you know what to do!

Seb2015 Fri 16-Sep-16 13:06:56

Anya, I'm so glad there's an alternative; it makes me sick when I think of those poor mares