Gransnet forums

Health

Too old for treatment?

(65 Posts)
watermeadow Thu 21-Jun-18 20:45:34

I went to the doctor as I had alarmingly swollen ankles and told him I could hardly walk. I was a bit worried about heart disease as my family is full of that.
He didn’t even glance at my feet nor checked anything. I got the impression he was going by a list which started with “If patient is over 70, do not waste scarce NHS resources. Inform patient that all symptoms are due to old age and cannot be treated”
I rarely go to the doctor but will do my bit by dying quietly without troubling him further.

Luckygirl Thu 21-Jun-18 20:55:35

So - what did he actually do or say?

Se a different doctor.

suzied Thu 21-Jun-18 21:26:11

My MiL has just had a pacemaker fitted. She’s 98. The dr told her the batteries would last 10 years....

BlueBelle Thu 21-Jun-18 21:29:12

I have found really good treatment and concern from my doctors I have never had any second rate treatment because of my age and think you must be unlucky with your doctor so yes change for sure

kittylester Thu 21-Jun-18 21:33:14

Change doctor quick. I've never heard anything like it if that really was his attitude.

jasmina Thu 21-Jun-18 21:37:52

We are never too old to live! I'd look for a new doctor also.

Nanabilly Thu 21-Jun-18 21:42:24

Did he do NOTHING then!
No water retention meds?
No blood pressure check?
No listening to your heart?
Did he feel the ankles?
If no to all of the above then I would firstly get an appt. with a different gp and secondly report him to the practice manager.

paddyann Thu 21-Jun-18 21:42:47

my mother has cataracts removed in her mid eighties .we've never had problems with treatment.Change your doctor

Greyduster Thu 21-Jun-18 21:42:58

We are both over seventy and none of the GPs in our practice have ever shrugged off our symptoms. You need to change your GP.

M0nica Thu 21-Jun-18 22:26:53

watermeadow, why are you letting your current doctor treat you like this. He only gets away with acting like this because patients like you just creep away and, in your words will do my bit by dying quietly without troubling him further. Tell him that his attitude is unacceptable and go and see another doctor in the practice. nothing will change until someone stands up for themselves.

At 92 doctors considered my father fit enough to have a ground breaking keyhole operation on his aortic valve. The only reason it didn't go ahead was because he developed an infection that wouldn't clear-up.

MawBroon Thu 21-Jun-18 22:59:55

Swollen ankles and thrombophlebitis . ECG, full set of bloods . When those were clear, I was referred for Doppler scans on legs and ankles to check circulation then to “Legs 11” clinic for measuring for compression (flight-type) knee length socks which I collected today.
Not the most fun I have ever had, but I felt anything that could be done, was.
I am 70
Your Dr needs a kick up the jaxie.

travelsafar Fri 22-Jun-18 07:17:30

Us oldies should be entitled to the same healthcare as youngsters. After all, if new treatments and procedures are carried out on us they will help the generations coming along behind us. I would be so angry at this GP especially if you dont go to the docters very often.Maybe see another GP or even a nurse they will always get GP advise if there is a concern about anything.

OldMeg Fri 22-Jun-18 07:28:03

Good heavens I’m finding myself saying yet again ‘spot on Monica

I went to see a GP on Monday. That’s the first time I’ve been to the surgery in over 2 years and sadly, I ended up with the elderly, white, disinterested specimen who should have been put put to grass years before. So I understand. where you’re coming from.

BUT, as he was clearly not up to the job I have to more or less bully him into sending me for an x-ray (left ankle severe ongoing pain) and prescribing a strong anti inflammatory for short term relief. He would have been quite happy to send me away empty handed.

I suggest you refuse to see that particular GP again. I should have done so had I not been in excruciating pain for past week and was just happy to get same day appointment.

Panache Fri 22-Jun-18 07:53:59

At almost 80 I have had excellent treatment for most of the time,and this continues.......... with 18 months of procedures and now a further life saving operation offered...........sadly I do believe you simply struck unlucky Watermeadow and please do not let it deter you from finding another sympathetic Doctor immediately.You deserve and need to be heard and your symptoms properly assessed ..............your age has nothing to do with this shoddy non treatment you recieved.

luluaugust Fri 22-Jun-18 09:29:38

Do go back and see somebody else, totally unacceptable.

junie1 Fri 22-Jun-18 09:33:05

See another Doctor,
One of the doctors here is go is really bad.
I just make sure my appointment is never with her, the others are ok.

However my Mum is 94, she has had excellent care from the NHS.

Change your doctor

junie1 Fri 22-Jun-18 09:34:50

Sorry , that should say
One of the doctors where I go,

Predictive text drives me nuts
smile

Zorro21 Fri 22-Jun-18 09:35:40

How awful !!! I have a G.P. who didn't want to do anything. I was in pain and sat in his room in front of him and cried - he then said "Oh well, I suppose I'll have to do something".

PLEASE see another doctor at the practice or change, giving the reasons why.

dragonfly46 Fri 22-Jun-18 09:41:45

I find our doctors, we are 72 and 75, are more concerned about any ailments we have than before as more serious things are more likely.
I was at the hospital last night with my mother aged 97. She had a large laceration on her elbow and they got a plastic surgeon to put a couple of stitches in it immediately. Waiting for an ambulance to take her home was another matter, however.

Lynnebo Fri 22-Jun-18 09:44:04

Your Dr needs a kick up the jaxie.

Exactly!!!

Rosina Fri 22-Jun-18 09:44:41

I'm with Nanabilly. He is paid a fat salary to look after you -and that attitude is a disgrace.

cornergran Fri 22-Jun-18 10:00:57

It is hard to fight back when we are ill and without energy but that’s what you must do. Good advice here. An appointment with another doctor in your surgery and a meeting with the practice manager. If necessary change surgeries, ask around to see where neighbours and friends go and which GP they recommend. I suspect many of us consciously avoid one or more doctors at our surgery, I know I do. I avoid two of ours. One doesn’t listen the other prescribes over enthusiastically but I know I get excellent care from the rest. Don’t give up. Your health is important.

newnanny Fri 22-Jun-18 10:05:06

I have swollen ankles and take water tablets to get rid of excess water. My GP told me if there is excess water in ankles it is a sign your body is producing too much water and it could gather around the heart so need to get rid of it. Also sent to see consultant at hospital to check circulation in legs with portable scanner. Change GP to get a better one. Don't put up with inferior treatment.

Aepgirl Fri 22-Jun-18 10:07:20

Change doctors straight away. 70 is no age. I went for blood test results yesterday as I am getting pains in my lower legs. My doctor said the results were 'excellent' and I added 'for a woman of my age (73)' and he said he would never say that, and that he would be proud to have the results as good as mine.

Sue162 Fri 22-Jun-18 10:09:41

I agree with all the posts. I am 74, DH 76 and we are treated with the utmost courtesy and never dismissed. Please change your GP, Watermeadow, you deserve better. [flowers}