Gransnet forums

Health

Sleeplessness

(149 Posts)
Nonnie Mon 03-Sep-18 15:42:52

Does anyone have a cure? Tried over the counter meds but they make me feel awful next day. Tried warm milk and various things before bed but they don't work. I have a bedtime routine, I don't have a TV in the bedroom and don't look at PC or phone before bed. I feel very tired so don't see the point in getting up and doing something to tire myself out. I never nap in the daytime and suffer the same if I have had a quiet day, a busy day or a physically demanding day. When I finally get to sleep, sometimes as late as 5 am, I sleep soundly, it is getting to sleep that is the problem. After about 5 days of this I finally get a good night's sleep but then it all starts again.

annep Tue 04-Sep-18 09:00:59

If all else fails 5mg of amitriptyline at teatime. but not regularly.

Nonnie Tue 04-Sep-18 10:07:24

Thanks everyone.

I think I have tried most of the things suggested and none of them work. I haven't tried listening to music though but I will give it a go though I find any unusual sound very irritating when I'm trying to sleep so not sure it will work.

I don't lie there worrying about it because some years ago I read that lying calmly awake is almost as good as sleeping. It has been going on so long that I don't lie worrying as I know I will be asleep by about 5 am and then sleep for about 4 hours.

Going to Google CPD oil and amitriptyline now,

Nonnie Tue 04-Sep-18 10:11:00

Oh dear just Googles both and found that CPD oil is illegal in UK www.msn.com/en-ie/health/familyhealth/what-is-cannabidiol-cbd-oil-and-is-it-legal-in-the-uk/ar-AAyNwOw?li=BBr5KbK

and amitriptyline is only available on prescription.

Have a GP appointment on Friday.

Fennel Tue 04-Sep-18 11:15:58

When I was staying with son and family in India couldn't sleep, so got some amitriptyline from the pharmacy - you could get it over the counter there.
It did work. I brought some home with me and used it occasionally but quickly found the effect got weaker. I think your body becomes habituated and you need more to get the same effect.

annep Tue 04-Sep-18 11:56:04

Yes Fennel. That's why I only use it very occasionally ( maybe once in 2 weeks). I have M.E. and fibromyalgia so lack of sleep affects me more than normal. My doctor prescribes it. As Nonnie said lying calmly maybe doing meditative breathing is very beneficial. I got cannibis oil in H&B. so horrible my stomach couldnt cope. But I know others who use it. Not sure how helpful they find it. very expensive.

Cressida Tue 04-Sep-18 12:49:14

Has anyone tried Light Therapy? My daughter has M.E and used to have a crazy sleep pattern and was virtually housebound. A few years ago she was given a Lumie Bodyclock Alarm and it made so much difference to her health that she is now working. The light simulates dusk & dawn so encourages the brain to produce melatonin. The lights aren't cheap but if it works for you then it's money well spent. If it doesn't work for you you can return it and get your money back if you buy direct from Lumie as they offer a 45 day trial period www.lumie.com/collections/bodyclock-wake-up-lights-halogen/products/bodyclock-starter-30

giulia Tue 04-Sep-18 14:00:33

Am trying to post a joke here about sleeplessness.

giulia Tue 04-Sep-18 14:01:28

Hurray! I managed to post this joke!

annep Tue 04-Sep-18 15:11:16

giulia ??

annep Tue 04-Sep-18 15:15:45

Cressida this sounds interesting. I'll see if I can get some reviews. Thanks.

MissAdventure Tue 04-Sep-18 16:01:36

CBD is legal in the UK, Nonnie.
Holland and Barretts sell it. smile

Willow10 Wed 05-Sep-18 07:31:58

If it's affecting you so badly during the day, maybe it's time to visit the doctor? I have suffered badly with restless legs, especially after a hip replacement. Magnesium tablets really work for this.

Crispy64 Wed 05-Sep-18 07:33:57

Have you tried melatonin, you can buy it online.

Yellowmellow Wed 05-Sep-18 07:38:08

You need to do 'sleep hygiene', which you have to do for as long as you have the problem. Sometimes you have to re-address it. I've used it for clients through working as a therapist...but have used it myself...took 5 nights of doing it to break the bad sleeping habit (I was waking at 3.00 in the morning and couldn't go back to sleep....was left absolutely shattered). You can google 'sleep hygiene' (and have to do it to the letter),

Purplepoppies Wed 05-Sep-18 07:41:16

I'm a fellow sufferer. I use Valerian. You can buy Sleepaid in B&M stores very cheaply. Its smells vile but two half hour before bed do the trick for me. I dont take them every night, maybe every 3-4 days. Herbal calms contain Valerian but are very expensive! It's just the natural state of valium, without the hangover feeling in the morning. The most I get is a dry mouth from snoring!

Jaycee5 Wed 05-Sep-18 07:44:46

I have always had trouble sleeping, even as a child and most things that make you sleep do make you feel dopey or depressed the next day.
The only thing that has worked for me is Benadryl Acrivistan. I take it about 2 hours before I want to sleep. I also have allergies so it is helpful anyway. Occasionally I have to take a second one but rarely.

Coconut Wed 05-Sep-18 07:47:33

First I use a Chillmax pillow to keep me cool. If reading doesn’t make me nod off, I’ve downloaded loads of my all time favourite sloppy music ......It clears my mind, and totally relaxes me.

Bamm Wed 05-Sep-18 07:53:59

This year I have had really bad burning and tingling feet, especially at night. This really makes it hard to sleep. I have had all the blood tests and been to hospital for neurological tests but no cause can be found. The doctor has prescribed Amitriptyline which I have taken very occasionally but fear the side effects of an escalating dose. Does anyone have experience of this ?

Cathy21 Wed 05-Sep-18 08:07:59

Melatonin. I got 2mg from Eurovital. Read about Circadin on a NHS website but Doc says can only prescribe for Children . There is a program called Sleepio but costs £200 so still thinking about that one.

teabagwoman Wed 05-Sep-18 08:08:19

I use the alphabet system used by Allegretto, deep relaxation and lavender spray. I also saw some research that claimed that eating two kiwi fruit about about an hour before bedtime improved quality of sleep. I was sceptical because the research was funded by the growers but there does seem to be something in it and it helps me. However one does have to be careful eating kiwi, they’re not called the “opener” for nothing!

AnneofGGables Wed 05-Sep-18 08:09:51

Hi nonnie -my first post! I understand completely about sleeping frustration. We have a very draining family situation which means we are both constantly exhausted. My DH goes to sleep anywhere and easily at night. Here is my list of surviving disturbed nights and dropping off.:
Dropping off: try not to engage in conversation about tomorrow and watch something with good story value in tv but not the 10 o'clock news!
Sometimes I have a cup of warm milk plus tiny whisky.
Best thing is I've changed what I read before tucking down: nothing tense, eg have re read all of Jane Austen, or have re read my favourite books as a child -v comforting . Or, I must confess -an old M&B book read it all day and you'll fall asleep I promise!
In the night I know I am going get stewed quite quickly so first I go to the loo, I look out at the night sky, I make sure the windows are open ( tip from a novel) and at 3/4/5 a.m.I search for a comedy or semi interesting programme on radio iplayer put ear phones in and I find myself waking up after a deep sleep several hours later. I only take pain killers, (knees) nothing else. It's something to do with controlling and beating the anxiety of knowing that your sleep will be disturbed. I hope that helps.

Katek Wed 05-Sep-18 08:22:08

Podcast of something boring and/or times tables repeated ad infinitum!

annep Wed 05-Sep-18 08:28:16

Some good ideas here!
I've never had to increase amitriptyline I actually take one quarter of 10mg sometimes which is tiny amount and it works I feel grogggy after even that. But everyone is different.
I might try some of the other suggestions.

EmilyHarburn Wed 05-Sep-18 08:30:00

Keeping a hypnotherapy disc in a cassette by the bed with ear phones may help. Listen to it every time you wake up. Chose a topic you feel is helpful. Here are some.

www.amazon.co.uk/Sleep-Now-Adult-Essential-Relaxing/dp/0956832725?tag=gransnetforum-21

www.amazon.co.uk/Sleep-Every-Night-Glenn-Harrold/dp/1901923207?tag=gransnetforum-21

www.insomnia.net/natural-remedies/cds/

lucky77 Wed 05-Sep-18 08:38:17

Try 5-HTP I use the Lamberts brand (others available), half an hour before bedtime, also only go to bed when really tired ie not too early.
For info 5-HTP stands for 5-hydroxytryptophan - an amino acid found naturally in small amounts in protein rich foods such as turkey. 5-HTP is converted into serotonin in the human body.
Tryptophan is found in lettuce, nuts, salmon, eggs, tofu, cheese, turkey.
Serotonin made by the body is called 5-hydroxytryptophan, or 5-HTP, and then is made into tryptophan. Tryptophan naturally exists in many proteins such as turkey, eggs, beans and fatty fish such as salmon, sardines and herring. The richest source of 5-HTP is the African Griffonia bean. (the tablets are made from the Griffonia bean)

Flaxseed oil contains both tryptophan and omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for cardiovascular health.
Serotonin naturally exists in kiwi fruit, plantains, bananas, sour cherries, pineapples, tomatoes and plums. Tart or sour cherries are also high in tryptophan and also make DHEA, an important hormone that increases melatonin and helps the body have deep and restful sleep. Many people seeking serotonin-rich foods may also be looking to increase their melatonin levels so they can sleep better.
So a combination of diet and the 5-HTP tablets should help. Also try increasing your Magnesium intake in the daytime, it gets depleted as we get older.
Hope some of this helps a few of you on here.