Gransnet forums

Health

Sleeplessness

(149 Posts)
Nonnie Mon 03-Sep-18 15:42:52

Does anyone have a cure? Tried over the counter meds but they make me feel awful next day. Tried warm milk and various things before bed but they don't work. I have a bedtime routine, I don't have a TV in the bedroom and don't look at PC or phone before bed. I feel very tired so don't see the point in getting up and doing something to tire myself out. I never nap in the daytime and suffer the same if I have had a quiet day, a busy day or a physically demanding day. When I finally get to sleep, sometimes as late as 5 am, I sleep soundly, it is getting to sleep that is the problem. After about 5 days of this I finally get a good night's sleep but then it all starts again.

Nonnie Thu 06-Sep-18 12:16:53

Cardif done all that and it makes no difference whether I have slobbed all day or done lots of outdoor exercise.

Thanks annep, I live in hope that someone will make a suggestion which will leap into my mind and make all the difference.
NanaR watched it expecting something new but it is just the same old and I suspect that everyone on this thread has already tried them all.

AlexG tried that for the first time last night, went through the alphabet 3 times with different subjects then gave up!

Greengage Thu 06-Sep-18 20:51:31

Nobody seems to have mentioned sex or masturbation prior to sleep. There is the 'sleep of the just', and 'sleep of the just after'! Sorry if I have shocked anyone.

Melanieeastanglia Thu 06-Sep-18 21:29:04

I laughed out loud when I read your comment Greengage.

How about a drink of hot chocolate before bed? Not as energetic as Greengage's suggestion but it might be effective.

Nanna58 Thu 06-Sep-18 21:35:17

Greengage! Reminds me of that old joke ‘ sometimes I drop off to sleep after sex, other times I just get up and go home!!’ ??

annep Thu 06-Sep-18 22:18:52

As the song goes "Ah yes I remember it well!" lol.

Greengage Fri 07-Sep-18 09:28:15

Melanieeastanglia Although I like hot chocolate, I think I would still prefer my suggestion!

Nonnie Fri 07-Sep-18 12:04:24

I haven't tried hot chocolate, always thought chocolate was a stimulant but will give it a go, why not?

HildaW Fri 07-Sep-18 14:37:56

There's hot chocolate and Hot chocolate....one is a sweet milky drink.....the other (the sort I have) is probably the equivalent of a large bar of 70% melted in milk and would certainly keep me awake!

HildaW Fri 07-Sep-18 14:40:07

As to the 'other' thing I'm more in the ' go on then but don't wake me up dear' range as the comic once said.....probably Victoria Wood.

annep Fri 07-Sep-18 20:55:08

HildaW ??

janeainsworth Fri 07-Sep-18 21:48:38

the ' go on then but don't wake me up dear' range as the comic once said.....probably Victoria Wood.

Oh I don’t think it could have been Victoria Wood, Hilda grin
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fFI5Jl_IqsE

janeainsworth Sat 08-Sep-18 08:13:29

Yesterday I bought some ThisWorks deep sleep pillow spray.

Went to bed at 10.45.
Read book (Alan Partridge) till 11.15.
Sprayed pillow.
Went straight to sleep.
Woke at 3.15 to go to the loo.
Straight back to sleep.
Woke at 5.15. Loo again.
Straight back to sleep.
Woke 7.30.

Best night’s sleep for a couple of months and feel better than I’ve done for weeks.

Sparklefizz Sat 08-Sep-18 08:42:27

I've been taking CBD oil capsules but I haven't noticed any improvement in my insomnia, although I think they have helped with arthritis pain. They are quality high-strength capsules and very expensive so I won't be buying them again.

I have tried everything I can think of but only sleep well on the odd occasion I take one of my prescription sleeping pills, which I only take if I need to sleep well in order to be alert the following morning.

Someone further back on this thread mentioned the Paul McKenna book and CD and I tried that several years ago but didn't persevere with it, so have dug it out to try it properly this time.

Sparklefizz Sat 08-Sep-18 08:52:45

annep and anyone else with M.E./CFS
I have ME plus an under-active thyroid and a host of other illnesses. Have any M.E. people tried Amitryptilene? I have some Zopiclone sleeping pills to use occasionally if I am desperate but don't want to take them every night, and in any case it would not be a good idea medically. My GP has suggested Amitryptilene but I'm concerned about taking it.

Nonnie Sat 08-Sep-18 11:00:35

Went to the GP yesterday and he didn't help at all. Felt like he didn't listen to what I said. I told him I had taken some of the meds for 2 days and slept but felt like I hadn't the next day so no point in taking pills. He then explained to me that he didn't want to prescribe pills. Three times I told him about the exercise I take and that it doesn't make any difference and he told me to take exercise. He told me to not have a TV in the bedroom after I had told him we don't and he told me not to have caffeine in the evening after I told him I stop at lunchtime. Complete waste of time. Oh and my toenail is coming off but he wasn't interested in that either! He did agree to send me for a hearing test and DH as well but reprimanded us for not making a separate appointment for DH. We didn't do that because it was as quick to ask for 2 as to ask for one and thought that would free him up to see someone else!

Will try not to see that doc again.

Nonnie Sat 08-Sep-18 11:01:27

and completely off thread there was a notice in the waiting room saying to switch off phones when arriving and one telling you how to log into the Wifi!

MissAdventure Sat 08-Sep-18 11:04:57

I have asked for something to help me sleep, but just been given the antihistamines.
The doctor told me they only prescribe sleeping pills if there is an end in sight to the sleeplessness, for example someone can't sleep because they have a big event coming up..
So, I manage on a few broken hours a night. sad

Nonnie Sat 08-Sep-18 11:46:24

MissA you could find that the sleeping pills make you feel bad the next day anyway so no benefit at all. That is what has happened to me. I've now downloaded a 2 hour play and got out some headphones. That's my plan for tonight but not sure having something stuck in my ear is conducive to sleep! Nothing ventured............

Nanna58 Sun 09-Sep-18 00:16:39

So would I Greengage, but one I can get at Tesco and the other I can’t!!?

MissAdventure Sun 09-Sep-18 00:22:30

Good luck, Nonnie
Sweet dreams!
Fingers crossed for you.

Greengage Sun 09-Sep-18 09:58:18

Nanna58 Haha!

Lynne59 Sun 09-Sep-18 12:31:49

I'm the same. I go to bed as late as I can stand it (1am usually), in the hope that I might sleep for a few hours without waking more than once.

I have found that I sleep better on the evenings I go to Zumba, which at the moment is 3 evenings a week.

When I get too tired through lack of a decent night's sleep, I resort to taking an antihistamine or a Co-Codamol tablet.

Nonnie Sun 09-Sep-18 12:44:27

MissA didn't work! Have downloaded a couple of talking books for tonight so will give that a go.

MissAdventure Sun 09-Sep-18 12:50:40

What a shame, Nonnie.
Hopefully the books might do the trick.
Its so frustrating, trying to get through the day when you've barely slept.

Pollaidh Sun 09-Sep-18 12:56:20

Hi Nonnie
I do hope the talking books work. I have found there are three conditions for me to sleep well. The first is not to eat after 7.30 pm. Ideally, I eat my last meal at 6.30 and nothing at all to eat after that. The second is to drop off listening to the radio. We have a snooze button so I can set it for an hour or so, settle down and try to focus on book at bedtime or whatever (always voice, never music!) and this cuts all the other voices out of my head so even if I am really enjoying the story, I am off before it finishes. The third is complete darkness. I mean complete. No lights from phone screen or anything. My OH laughs at me when we stay in hotels and I go to great lengths to get rid of the little red light on the TV. Hope you get there!