Gransnet forums

Health

Turmeric and pepper

(38 Posts)
Nanagem Mon 17-Sep-18 09:34:01

I started taking these in February, one tablet once a day. I wasn’t sure but thought nothing ventured etc.

I have noticed my aches and pains are easier and my ibs is greatly improved, but told myself it could be a coincidence IBS, has good and bad times, and aches do get better with the right weather.
I couldn’t take them for about 4 days and OMG the difference, could hardly get round the house again, and as for the stairs they were a nightmare, and my tummy, well less said. Make on them, and within a week I’ve improved.

I just thought I would post this for anyone who was interested.

PamelaJ1 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:21:29

‘Natural’ remedies do have contra indications too as pa20 found out. Some medications can react with it.

Strange though that the turmeric should cause inflammation, it is supposed to help reduce it not exacerbate it.

Day6 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:34:25

I use turmeric and black pepper in cooking, quite often and I take Omeprazole. That's an interesting finding.

I bought tiny little turmeric and black pepper pills about 6 months ago, hoping they'd help with inflammation and nerve damage but I keep forgetting to take them!! confused

Cannot really draw any conclusions other than to say I shall now start taking them every day, given I paid good money for them! smile If they have adverse effects on my digestion, in terms of acid balance I'll report back.

Nonnie Thu 05-Sep-19 16:36:08

Bathsheba Thu 18-Oct-18 17:06:05I agree and was going to say the same until I read your post.

DH is prone to trying anything he reads about from Holland & Barrett etc but I am always wary and check very carefully. Many of us are on some form of medication and should always check before buying any of the over the counter pills.

merlotgran Thu 05-Sep-19 18:10:40

I make turmeric and black pepper vodka. It's great for colds and sore throats and will guarantee you a good night's sleep. grin

Oldandverygrey Thu 05-Sep-19 18:14:50

My husband started taking turmeric tablets, but it affected his medication and made him quite ill - so do be careful.

BBbevan Thu 05-Sep-19 18:16:11

Apparently tumeric is also beneficial for those with early AMD. Along with saffron and marigold .

Day6 Thu 05-Sep-19 18:24:25

I make turmeric and black pepper vodka.

Ooooh, now you're talking Merlotgran grin

I particularly like the idea that it might help with sleep. Mind you, I have a drinks cupboard so I suppose I could just raid that for a night-cap!

AMVital Fri 30-Dec-22 15:38:59

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AMVital Fri 30-Dec-22 15:58:56

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Kim19 Fri 30-Dec-22 16:03:59

Don't yet feel the need for this addition to my intake. Daily CLO capsule and very healthy breakfast seems to have held me in really good stead thus far.

ExperiencedNotOld Fri 30-Dec-22 16:23:48

I’ve tried turmeric twice, persisting through a 30 tablet cycle and they do nothing for me apart from make me feel queasy. However, I now use a Turmeric oil rub that does work very well, alongside green lipped muscle capsules.

Forlornhope Fri 30-Dec-22 16:38:42

I started taking turmeric and black pepper tablets a couple of months ago. I’ve acid reflux problems and take an omeprazole type medication plus suffering from IBS so always closely monitor any new addition to the diet. I was driven to giving t & bp another go (tried capsules previously but react badly to the cellulose or whatever the capsules are made from) by persistent pain in my hip. It seems to have improved things. I dropped to a tablet alternate days (some niggle or other started up) and that seems enough to keep up the good work.