Gransnet forums

Health

Off my chest

(28 Posts)
DoraMarr Thu 07-Feb-19 12:22:46

Well, that was my last radiotherapy appointment for a breast tumour. I felt quite emotional saying goodbye to the wonderful staff this morning. The kindness, patience and care I have received from everyone at Queen Elizabeth hospital has been excellent.
For any of you out there who are about to have similar testament, my best wishes. Some things I have learnt:
At the start of the treatment, mine was 20 sessions, five days a week, the treatment seems daunting, but I found that getting into a routine, and having the appointments at the same time each day, really helped me feel in control.
Employing someone to change my bed and clean my apartment each week was the best thing I did. It meant my surroundings were always clean and fresh, and I was able to keep on top of everyday housework without getting too tired.
Have fresh flowers in your home.
Buy little treats: chocolates, nice wine and food.
Take a pashmina to wear over the hospital gown while you wait.
Try to get out once a day for a short walk and/ or coffee with a friend.
Accept all offers of help.
Be grateful for your treatment, and appreciate the people who are giving it to you.

dragonfly46 Fri 08-Feb-19 02:27:33

Thank you * Dora* for the advice. I am not sure what is in store but certainly the pashmina is a brilliant idea.
I hope all you future appointments go well.

DoraMarr Sun 10-Feb-19 10:24:17

Thank you everyone for your best wishes. Good luck to anyone about to have this or other treatment.