Gransnet forums

Health

IVF clinics

(39 Posts)
Catlover123 Sat 09-Feb-19 17:10:57

My daughter is about to visit several clinics offering IVF treatment. She and her husband suffer from 'unexplained infertility' and have been trying for many years to start a family. They don't qualify in their region for any help from the NHS. I wonder about all these 'add-ons' I hear about and what the average cost of treatment is? Do any grans have any family experience of these? also, any tips for Gran?

ElaineI Sun 10-Feb-19 14:53:46

Tips for Gran's - listen, listen, reassure - undergoing IVF makes couples very anxious about every type of pain, discharge, symptom of pregnancy.
Don't offer advice unless you have read up on things just listen and reassure.
If she is worried something is wrong support her in going to pregnancy support (I really hope her journey is successful) - in my experience the mother to be knows best and should never be fobbed off.
Don't tell anyone about the IVF unless DD has given permission.

Luckygirl Sun 10-Feb-19 15:59:55

The Obama girls were conceived by IVF.

Susan56 Sun 10-Feb-19 16:14:31

My daughters friend has just conceived through ivf.As others have said,it is a very difficult,emotional time for the couple going through it.There is a really informative documentary on Netflix,One more shot,a true story following a couples attempts to conceive.It was a hard watch at times but helped us to see what our daughters friend was living through.

NotSpaghetti Sun 10-Feb-19 17:56:20

You asked about add-ons Catlover123 - I have just heard a radio programme that covered this -
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001b91
Good Luck

PECS Sun 10-Feb-19 18:39:48

No Idea of add ons and costs. My DD2 has been supporting her friend, whose parents are overseas so no mum to talk to easily, through IVF. Her baby is due in April smile. It was the 3/4th IVF attempt. She has a child, conceived naturally, but the hoped for 2nd baby did not happen without help. It has been a roller coaster time emotionally ..not helped by a house move... DD was there to offer an ear, shoulder and childcare! I think any of us who have had much anted babies can appreciate how much rides on the cycle the couple go through.
When we are living on an emotional tightrope, as anyone undergoing IVF will be, we can behave out of character, get tired, uncommunicative etc etc. So gentle and thoughtful 'being there' is the best thing you can do.

NHS or NICE guidelines may offer some help and are not tying to 'sell' anything.

OPgrndtr Sun 10-Feb-19 18:52:39

I am one who had trouble getting pregnant here in the USA. I tried several ways and the Dr told me if this last didn't work then the word was NO. So we considered adoption while we waited. I know nothing of your system in UK, but maybe you would be able to suggest something like that.

Anniebach Sun 10-Feb-19 18:52:52

Fflaurie. My younger daughter had 14 failed attempts of IVF, she never, ever thought it was her right to have a baby, she like most women who conceive naturally wanted a baby, I assume you didn’t experience this

PECS Sun 10-Feb-19 19:14:42

I should also have mentioned my cousin who, like me, did not get pregnant easily. She and her husband decided to foster with the idea that they may consider adoption as a route to parenthood. They short term fostered, for about 6 months, when she became pregnant. The doctors thought it might have been because they were more relaxed and less focussed on having to make babies as teats did not identify obvious reasons for non-conception! She now has 3 ACs and several DGCs.

Grandmama Sun 10-Feb-19 19:29:34

Recently in the last couple of weeks or so IVF was covered on a Radio 4 afternoon programme (perhaps the one notspaghetti has highlighted) with a warning to look carefully into add-ons as they were not always any benefit. It might have been the weekend catch up of Woman's Hour.

GabriellaG54 Sun 10-Feb-19 20:27:25

Fflaurie
You make a good point. I do have children but, in this day and age, many people think that what they haven't got already, they can buy. Bigger boobs and bums, tighter faces, poutier lips, larger penises, and children too are some of the things that they covet, no matter the cost, financially and emotionally.

PECS Sun 10-Feb-19 20:43:11

perhaps start a new thread if you want to discuss the pros/cons of IVF?

Nanna58 Sun 10-Feb-19 22:34:16

Really GabriellaG54! As someone who desperately wantrd to be a mum, and underwent many years of infertility treatment I find you equating various cosmetic procedures with the misery of infertility truly offensive.

GreenGran78 Mon 11-Feb-19 00:22:50

My friend's daughter had several rounds of IVF, which all failed. She was desperately unhappy. Then one of their friends had a huge family crisis, and she jumped in to help and support them. The infertility problems receded into the background. A year later she had a set of naturally conceived twins. It seems that her body didn't want to get pregnant while she was in such a stressed state.

My DD finally met 'Mr Right' when she was 40. They decided to try for a baby, but eventually found that her eggs were not of good quality. Her dear friend offered to be an egg donor, which involved a lot of 'red tape', interviews and intrusive treatments. Luckily the first implant resulted in a lovely baby. The procedure was extra-expensive, (in Australia) as three people were involved, but was worth every penny. The only sad thing is that, at 44, she won't take the risk of using the other two embryos, and they are not allowed to donate them to another IVF patient.

After having one baby, we tried for another for 3 years, before adopting a baby. 4 years later I had a natural child, then 2 more came along!

Everyone has a story to tell about infertility, but if all else fails there are so many children in care, desperate to find a loving family. I know that this doesn't appeal to everyone, but my adopted daughter is just as precious to me as my 'natural' children. It's a path that I would highly recommend.