Gransnet forums

Health

Can I just share a secret with you all please?

(157 Posts)
EllaKeat Mon 19-Aug-19 20:48:54

I have been drinking far too much alcohol over the past year - a shocking amount.
I gave up smoking 18 months ago, and promptly replaced one addiction for another.
No one knows. Not my husband nor wider family and friends.
I have been drinking vodka every day, waiting until lunchtime before having 'just a little booster'. I have then been continuing to drink steadily throughout the afternoon, ending at dinner time, then going to bed at 8pm because I cant stay awake.
I am also quite down in general. Retirement is not suiting me very well, I am lonely and feel as though I have no purpose in life.
Anyway, that is the excuses over.
Today, I have gone for a full week without drinking a drop. As with smoking, I just decided to stop, and so far, touch wood, I have managed it.

I am quietly quite proud of myself, but had no one to tell in real life, for obvious reasons ?
Just nice to be able to share it here.

Glammy57 Thu 22-Aug-19 21:03:15

.*EllaKeat - you can do this! ✊

Send me a p.m if you need encouraging words.

Pome Fri 23-Aug-19 21:10:57

Well done! Have been trying to stop smoking for years but fail miserably every time so am in awe of you doing both.
Have a husband similar to yours. Won't go anywhere or do anything without me. Prefers TV & internet.
My children & grandchildren (this is my 2nd marriage, so the children are his step- children) live between 60 & 160 miles away & visiting them takes some time. There was no way I was going to miss out on seeing them. Also, as a single mother, I spent most of my life doing things for others so retirement for me meant doing things for me.
At first, I would ask 'permission' to go & do things like see my children & like you, had to endure an atmosphere when I got home.
Finally, I bit the bullet. I explained everything I've already said above, said I love doing things together but that I need to do some things on my own & that I was going to do them.
It took a little time for him to get used to the new situation but finally he's ok. In fact, I think he rather likes having the house to himself to do things like play his music at full blast!

Evie64 Sat 24-Aug-19 23:20:27

Dear Ella, that is amazing. You have very right to be very very proud of yourself. I'm in a similar situation with a husband that has no interests outside the home, so I took on a part time job which keeps me sane, well, ish........ wink grin

Brismum Sun 25-Aug-19 12:35:39

So pleased you got back to us Ella ?? Hope you enjoy your ceramics and volunteering. Have a great time.

Alexa Sun 25-Aug-19 14:46:07

What a boring man! He possibly needs some simple handwork put right into his hands with a request to do it. E.g. jigsaw puzzles on a large tray in front of the telly.

The idea is to provide an occupation that he can do while you are out.

Silver to polish.

A simple seam to sew no matter if it's an untidy result. He might graduate to lazy daisies or chian stitch on a pillow case if you teach him.

Give him lists to make e.g. dog breeds, native trees, country towns, woodworking tools , vintage cars.

Ask him to look up Rightmove and select nice houses to live in and be able to say why he likes them.

Can he drive? Give him a shopping list. Ask him to visit the local Probus group.

You have a right handful there!

Yorkshiregirl Mon 26-Aug-19 09:59:15

What a great update. Sending you love and best wishes ???