Gransnet forums

Health

To pee or not to pee......

(71 Posts)
Grannyrebel Thu 03-Oct-19 18:49:19

Unlike most of my friends I never needed to get up in the middle of the night to go for a pee. However, recently I have woken up a few times needing the loo. Sometimes I just ignore this urge and go back to sleep, whereas other times I give in and go. Just wondering what's the best thing to do. Interestingly, I've just returned from a holiday in Italy and never once woke up in the night with this dilemma!

Calendargirl Thu 03-Oct-19 19:03:53

If I wake up in the night wanting to go, then I go!
Only time I don’t is if it’s nearly getting up time, but then I often just arise earlier and nip to the loo.

MiniMoon Thu 03-Oct-19 20:13:26

When I wake up in the night needing the loo, I find that I have to go. Ignoring the urge is impossible as I can't go back to sleep without relieving myself.

MamaCaz Thu 03-Oct-19 20:44:26

If I don't get up when I need to go, I will spend the next hour or more dreaming that I am looking for a toilet, or just a very private place to relieve myself, but either I can't find one, or it doesn't work, or it is in full view.
By the time I wake up again and really urgently need to go to the bathroom, I am exhausted from all this searching in vain!

sodapop Thu 03-Oct-19 20:50:24

Yes I definitely have to go when I feel the urge otherwise - calamity.

lemongrove Thu 03-Oct-19 21:10:33

Mamacaz ?I have those dreams too! Searching all over in dreams, and finding a public loo, go in thankfully but then find there are only sinks and showers there, no loos!
Or, I find one but it’s too disgusting to actually use ( am fastidious even when bursting it seems).
Our bodies just won’t allow us to relieve ourselves in bed (thank goodness) haha.

lemongrove Thu 03-Oct-19 21:11:32

I rarely wake up when on holiday though, just don’t seem to need the loo as much then, it’s strange.

Tangerine Thu 03-Oct-19 22:21:05

I suppose the weather was hotter in Italy and this would affect things.

gillybob Thu 03-Oct-19 22:33:55

I never go on holiday so couldn’t comment on the difference, however I have been awake much more than usual during the nights and sadly find going to the loo as a way to pass the time in between getting a drink and pacing the floor . I think this may have become a habit .

annep1 Thu 03-Oct-19 22:40:32

It's best to go.

annep1 Thu 03-Oct-19 22:47:04

If you don't usually go so often perhaps check you don't have a uti.

BlueSky Thu 03-Oct-19 22:56:10

So it's quite normal having to get up for the loo a couple of times a night when you are older? I never used to when I was younger. I read conflicting explanations on why this happens. I was even getting rather worried in case it was an early sign of dementia then I read that as we get older we produce less of a chemical that helps us to hold on to urine during the night.

BradfordLass72 Thu 03-Oct-19 23:56:59

I rarely have to get up in the night but very occasionally feel as if I should.

Then the thought of getting out of a snuggly warm bed and traipsing to the loo soon puts paid to that idea.

I still try to do pelvic floor exercises - when I remember.

Lilypops Fri 04-Oct-19 07:29:42

i have to get up at least once in the night every night, it's no use lying there hoping "it will go away" I hate having to get up especially when it's colder , I also have to get up and walk around as I have Restless Legs that keep me awake so I go for a "walk" to the loo, Any one else have Restless legs ?

LullyDully Fri 04-Oct-19 07:51:10

Once a night? I have to get up several times. Try to get back to sleep, not always possible.

They are frustrating those broken, locked, public loos in my dreams. Thank goodness I can still wake up.

MamaCaz Fri 04-Oct-19 07:52:55

Lilypops

Yes, though fortunately not every night. Mine seems to come and go, making me think it could be something in or missing from my diet, though as yet I haven't figured out what that might be.
I do know that the one occasion that I took something supposedly to help me sleep, I had the worst night ever of restless legs!
Like you, I sometimes use the 'walk' to the loo as relief from this as well as the obvious grin

TwiceAsNice Fri 04-Oct-19 07:55:24

I usually get up once a night am usually sitting on the loo with my eyes shut! I still need to go again as soon as I wake up to start the day. Luckily seem to be able to go straight back to sleep. I keeps bedroom very dark

Sara65 Fri 04-Oct-19 07:58:49

Mamacaz

My most frequent dream as well !

MamaCaz Fri 04-Oct-19 08:04:01

lemongrove
Sara65

I'm glad I'm not the only one grin

EllanVannin Fri 04-Oct-19 08:21:18

Just of late I've been up and down like a fiddlers elbow yet normally I sleep like a log right the way through. Maybe it's times when you have more on your mind it tends to keep the bladder active in sync with the brain.

Luckygirl Fri 04-Oct-19 08:23:55

Ah yes - the looking for a loo dreams! Can't be doing with them - that is why I get up!

sodapop Fri 04-Oct-19 08:41:49

Don't think that's quite true lemongrove sometimes passing urine is involuntary.

DanniRae Fri 04-Oct-19 08:54:06

If when we get older we pee more in the night because of a lack of a chemical or hormone why can't we be prescribed some of what's missing?

lemongrove Fri 04-Oct-19 08:58:55

Really sodapop? ?
I read recently that getting up in the night ( for the loo) is common as we age, and that by 90 it’s about three times a night.Something to look forward to girls?

sodapop Fri 04-Oct-19 09:06:08

Hells bells I already get up three times some nights. Be hardly worth going to bed when I'm ninety.