Gransnet forums

Health

NHS dentist costs

(34 Posts)
Cabbie21 Wed 04-Dec-19 17:48:07

I have recently transferred to a new dentist. My previous one always did a full scale and polish after an inspection, but my new one doesn’t, even though it is listed under Band One treatment. Today I was in and out in ten minutes. She did such a cursory check, said my teeth were fine, but that there were pockets of plaque and I need to see the hygienist, at a cost of £50.
Is this the new norm?

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 19:16:16

The only time I opted for the NHS 'scale and polish' was a real disappointment. They did some scaling but it was only a short appointment and my teeth were left feeling rough and looking stained.

The dentist 'doesn't have time', but if you insist (and tell them you're entitled to it) they'll do a quick scale (no polish).

What they recommend, of course is the private hygienist. It costs £55 for 30 minutes here (partly payable at booking).

This time, the dentist said that I needed a double appointment (deep clean) as I'd not been for a while. They recommend every three months.

I booked and reluctantly handed over the £110, then lay there thinking about what else I could have spent that on!

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 19:20:53

Maybe I just have a suspicious mind but, at the NHS cleaning, my teeth and gums were deemed 'good', whereas at the following private treatment, I had gum problems, 'pockets' and tartar - funny that!

craftyone Thu 05-Dec-19 19:21:36

a dentist trains for 5 years and has ongoing professional development throughout her career. My dentist is highly skilled and is an expert with anasthesia. I would never expect her to do a routine scale and polish, she is too qualified for that and her skills are needed for her many patients. I go to the hygienist for a scale and polish

kittylester Thu 05-Dec-19 20:59:46

But, if you are an nhs patient you should get one in a band 1 payment if you need one. Even if it is done by a hygienist..

Blinko Thu 05-Dec-19 21:09:49

My nhs dentist doesn't do scale and polish routinely. Only if he considers it is clinically required. If it is, he charges band 2. I'd like to find a hygienist as my teeth stain quickly. I object to paying £60 for a sort of 'sand blast' job every three months...

Ginny42 Thu 05-Dec-19 21:32:34

Ayse that thought crossed my mind. Kittylester it may be a long time before I need the crack filled.

However, I am pleased with the dentist/ his wife at the same practice, so I'm letting it go. It just seemed odd to present me with a bill with no course of treatment agreed.

I agree about the waterpik.

Moocow Thu 05-Dec-19 21:45:11

I don't understand it either. My dentist used to include a polish after a little scrapping. Now I have to pay extra for a hygenist to do what the dentist used to do. I was always told my teeth were cleaned beautifully now suddenly I'm not doing it correctly and having to pay someone else for what used to be included in my dental appointment. I'm now in and out of the room in less than ten minutes.

Sadly my smile is the only reasonable part of me so I'm paying to keep it that way as nothing is working for the rest of me!

Cabbie21 Mon 09-Dec-19 19:39:35

Sounds as if a lot of us are in the same boat then.