Gransnet forums

Health

OH now on end-of-life care.

(520 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 24-Jan-20 17:10:07

OH in nursing hone with end-stage PD, and he has been in terrible mental stress with paranoia on top of his total physical helplessness. He shot a temperature yesterday and clearly has some sort of infection - probably chest. I opted for him not to go to hospital, as I know this is what he wants. They are trying (and failing) to get oral antibiotics down, and have scratched all meds non-essential for his comfort . We just want him to go in peace now. But he is intermittently awake and in distress that he cannot articulate. They have all the necessary drugs for palliative care.

I am torn between wanting to keep him and wanting him to just go now so his distress is over. It is a torment

MawB Sun 16-Feb-20 18:35:37

Just to add my insurance had a 24hour helpline. Fair enough it took 45 minutes to get through, but worth it!

Callistemon Sun 16-Feb-20 18:36:27

Oh, that's good, worth a try Luckygirl.

merlotgran Sun 16-Feb-20 19:06:30

I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday, Luckygirl.

I found strength I didn't know I had for DD's funeral. Being surrounded by love and support gets you through it. The tears came later.

These days the wake is more a celebration of a life rather than a sad and depressing event and as Maw said, a few stiff drinks really helps.

kittylester Sun 16-Feb-20 21:16:07

Great post maw.

Stansgran Mon 17-Feb-20 17:31:04

Just logged in today. We said goodbye to a longstanding friend of DH's today. DH did say that death is often a blessing,as it was for his friend. He had lost his partner a while ago and had no one fighting his corner theway you fought. One day you will be able to realise how marvellous you have been. MyCondolences.

Scribbles Tue 18-Feb-20 10:36:17

Thinking of you and sending love, Luckygirl. My OH was cremated on Friday and I had wondered if I could get through the day and retain my sanity. It was private, just D and me and our lovely funeral director so we could spend the time talking to him, crying, reflecting and thinking. There were a lot of tears but, oddly, I felt better, calmer, afterwards. It's as though a line has been drawn and Phase 2 is beginning. Next month, we'll have a celebration of his life and inter his ashes and I hope that will be an occasion for laughter as well as tears.

All you can do is keep on keeping on. I'm told it will feel better one day and we must cling to that hope. ((Hugs))

Luckygirl Tue 18-Feb-20 10:43:38

Scribbles - flowers for you. Well done for getting though Friday and I hope the celebration of his life goes well.

I have not been well the last couple of days - shivery and nauseous - I do not know the cause - a bug or just sheer emotional and physical exhaustion. Could be either.

Lots of hassle yesterday as marriage cert has gone missing somewhere between the registry office and here. The stress of trying to find it just flattened me, so I sent off for a new one - I need it to apply for something from OH's pension - I have no idea what I might/might not get. This is causing me some anxiety.

I am hoping just to rest today; but lots of family around down the road at my DD's. There could be a lot of people at the funeral tomorrow as some of his ex-patients (no idea how many) are likely to come as well as family and friends.

My Son-I-L is reading my memories as I know there is no hope of me managing it.

Daddima Tue 18-Feb-20 10:49:00

I hope tomorrow goes well for you, luckygirl, I’m sure you’ll have lots of thoughts from here with you. It’s always a comfort to actually see how many people thought a lot both of Mr Lucky and of you.

Izabella Tue 18-Feb-20 10:55:18

Luckygirl a friend brought me up to date with your sad news. Words, I know are no measure of your sadness. I sned my thoughts and heartfelt condolences to you and you family and friends. You did more than most can ever hope to for your dear husband.

Scribbles Tue 18-Feb-20 10:59:35

Oh boy, Lucky. I can relate to your second and third paragraphs. Physical symptoms galore - gastric upsets, shivery and cold and legs like jelly so I can sometimes barely walk. I suspect it's all due to grief, stress and tension.

As for the paperwork - I am currently awaiting the return of my birth and marriage certificates by pension provider one so that I can then send them on to pension providers 2 and 3. And I had to ransack the house for half a day to find them in the first place. Where were they? In the bliddy safe; the only place I hadn't considered looking.

Just rest today. Pull the blinds, lock the doors and leave the family at Daughter's house to get on with it while you have some breathing space. I wish you well for tomorrow.

BlueSky Tue 18-Feb-20 11:22:03

Luckygirl will be thinking of you. flowers

dragonfly46 Tue 18-Feb-20 11:26:45

We will be right there with you tomorrow Lucky. You will find a strength you didn't know you had.
Take heart from Maw's wise words.

dragonfly46 Tue 18-Feb-20 11:27:06

Scribbles flowers

sodapop Tue 18-Feb-20 12:31:29

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow Luckygirl You will get through the funeral as you have done everything else with dignity and love.
Take care of yourself now, you cared so well for Mr Lucky now it's your turn. thanks

SueDonim Tue 18-Feb-20 13:11:54

Just caught up with the latest. I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow, Luckylegs and wishing you strength. Xxx

Susan56 Tue 18-Feb-20 13:15:53

Luckygirl,thinking of you?

Susan56 Tue 18-Feb-20 13:16:10

Scribbles?

Curlywhirly Tue 18-Feb-20 13:45:00

To Scribbles Luckygirl thanks thinking of you both, take care.

Willow500 Tue 18-Feb-20 14:08:53

flowers For tomorrow Lucky - you will find a reserve of strength you didn't know you had to get through .

NfkDumpling Tue 18-Feb-20 14:12:43

flowers Scribbles

And we’ll all be standing with you tomorrow Lucky flowers

SueDonim Tue 18-Feb-20 14:12:54

Scribbles flowers

Jane10 Tue 18-Feb-20 14:15:37

Good luck for tomorrow Luckygirl. I think you might be surprised at the turnout. My Dad was a doctor and, although he retired 22 years before he died, many patients turned up at his funeral and also children of his patients. It was lovely in a way.
I hope you feel a little better physically and that you let your family support you tomorrow and after that too. You could do with some TLC!

Luckygirl Tue 18-Feb-20 18:53:02

I have decided not to read my memories at the funeral - my son-in-law is going to do this for me. I just do not feel I will be able to hold it together. Am I a total wimp?

Auntieflo Tue 18-Feb-20 18:56:54

Wishing you well for tomorrow Luckygirl, and my thoughts will be with you.

SueDonim Tue 18-Feb-20 19:00:36

No, you’re not a wimp! You’ve been to hell and back, don’t think such thoughts about yourself. flowers