Gransnet forums

Health

Anyone got symptoms?

(89 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 19-Mar-20 07:36:07

I've developed a dry cough. I'm worried.

Chestnut Mon 30-Mar-20 15:08:50

Just read that the amount of virus entering your body may dictate your body's response: Large viral load
That makes sense to me. So unless you've been directly coughed on by a sick person your symptoms should be mild. Most people will not have such a thing happen.
A mild dose is similar to having an immunisation, which is also a small dose of the virus in vaccine form.
If you have it mildly and recover then be thankful - you have had your immunisation!

kalyanmanideep Mon 30-Mar-20 18:34:58

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GagaJo Wed 01-Apr-20 15:35:07

So grandson was pretty ill. He was lethargic and crying for 2 days. Fractious and up at night, breathing laboured. Congested nose. NO cough.

It's strange, because he hadn't been out for over 2 weeks. BUT this does mean that I need to start counting again from today really (his first, 'well' day). I'm assuming we are probably ok. BUT...

Chestnut Wed 01-Apr-20 23:43:41

Hope your grandson gets better quickly. So frustrating not to know for sure whether it is coronavirus, there are many other coughs, colds and sniffles going round as always.

An interesting discovery here: Mutated coronavirus subtype
This virus seems to be a shape shifter, different symptoms, different outcomes, we really can't get a grip of it. It never stops presenting us with new challenges.

MawB Wed 01-Apr-20 23:48:37

Gagajo I am relieved your DGS is on the mend. We have all been very focused on the transmission of the virus from the young to us oldies, but clearly it can pass both ways. When did you get back from Switzerland?
Are you quite clear of the cough etc you had on your return?

Hetty58 Wed 01-Apr-20 23:58:58

MawB, 'if in doubt, get tested' - Really? Where have you been? Tests are only available for the hospitalised (if they're lucky) and only just beginning for front line staff!

maddyone Thu 02-Apr-20 00:09:06

GagaJo I’m so sorry to hear that. It’s such a nuisance because you can’t get tested which means you don’t know. Does your daughter have any symptoms? She’ll need to self isolate now won’t she?
Keep your chin up and get well soon. flowers

maddyone Thu 02-Apr-20 00:24:23

Rosie ticking bird vampirequeen and others who I haven’t mentioned, all who are ill or worried they may have the virus, get well soon. This virus is so frightening, especially for those in our age group. But children can get it too. It’s so annoying that no one can get tested so no one actually knows if they’ve got it.

GagaJo Thu 02-Apr-20 08:14:17

We've all been locked in together for 16 days. I can't see any point in anyone trying to self isolate in here. If one us has got it, we've all got it. The only exception was daughter on her own, going out to grocery shop 13 days ago 10 days before grandson became ill.

The cough I had was a couple of days, but it didn't fit the corona cough criteria. Grandson had no cough. Daughter has had a cough off and on for 2 or 3 weeks.

MawB Thu 02-Apr-20 08:45:03

Hetty58 please don’t quote out of context

I made the “if in doubt, get tested” comment on the 19th of March when it was not uncommon for those returning from abroad to be tested. Numbers were obviously lower, but look at the Diamond Princess passengers as an example. Gagajo had flown back from Switzerland as she said “just over the border from N Italy” which would have put her in the risk category.
So where have I been ?
Self isolating at home since 15 March seeing my children and grandchildren only on FaceTime, like most of us.

GagaJo Thu 02-Apr-20 09:17:04

It’s ok Maw, I knew what you meant. I’ve been back since the 16th. So well over 2 weeks. IF grandson had CV, it would have been right on the cusp of the 2 week timescale, which is why we’re more or less hoping it wasn’t CV. Still, I’m counting 14 days again for myself and daughter now. 13 to go.

MawB Thu 02-Apr-20 09:39:23

My DGS (8) possibly had it last week - mildly or of course it could just as easily have been something else.
I find myself sort of hoping it was a mild dose because then he would have some immunity, but in a family of 5 the risks to the others were a worry.
It is frighteningly close to home though isn’t it? No longer just theoretical.

maddyone Thu 02-Apr-20 15:34:42

GagaJo oh dear, how awful for you. Who knows if you’ve had Coronavirus? Maybe when these antibody tests finally come on board, you might be able to find out if you’ve had it. It’s good that you managed to get home on the 16th, any later it might have become too difficult to get home. You are in the best place now, home.

Maw it is frighteningly close to home now. I’m now hearing of people I know who have died. My six year old grandson had a very high temperature, really bad cough, and sore throat the week before we went into isolation, but we didn’t visit him, just took ice cream round and pushed it through the cat flap! We don’t know whether it was Coronavirus or not, he wasn’t tested. The whole family went into isolation which wasn’t good news for the NHS as both parents are doctors. They did telephone consultations from home, difficult with six year old twins, one poorly, and a highly energetic two year old. No one else in the family became ill. They’re back at work now, but struggling with childcare as we usually do it.