Gransnet forums

Health

Arrogant grand daughter

(58 Posts)
Alexa Mon 23-Mar-20 21:44:58

This intelligent 25 year old woman has gone from my son's household where she lives to visit her boyfriend's family, staying overnight with her boyfriend. I have no influence over her and apparently neither has my son or daughter in law. I can only guess she is unwilling to do as she is told because she believes she knows better than anyone else.

I cannot express these feelings to my son as he is an intelligent and responsible man and knows very well the need not to make unnecessary social visits especially where practically impossible to keep six feet way from others.

anti Tue 24-Mar-20 11:44:50

The old saying....'I'm alright Jack'??

Beanie654321 Tue 24-Mar-20 11:50:38

How about your son telling your intelligent granddaughter she can stay where she is to prevent risks to others.

Sussexborn Tue 24-Mar-20 12:05:41

Certainly wouldn’t let her back in my home. I wonder how happy her boyfriends family will be as she eats her way through their food supplies (and uses up their loo rolls).

Alexa Tue 24-Mar-20 12:11:30

Golden Age, I absolutely agree with you. When I and my son were on the phone last night and he told me he had driven her to -- (where her boyfriend lives) I said "Should she be doing that?" and he answered "Oh well" .

This young woman has been indulged by her parents all her life as far as I can make out. She is basically a nice girl but has apparently never learned she sometimes has to do as she is told.

I am sick at heart that my son is burdened by two adult offspring who don't pull their weight. He is feeling the pinch like most other people now. Their mother, my daughter in law, went to the trouble of washing all incoming groceries and this behaviour of her daughter's makes a mockery of her efforts.

Yes, I wish my granddaughter would stay at her boyfriend's for the duration. She is now working from home, could she do this working from home at her boyfriend's location?

I cannot remonstrate with my son, as he knows perfectly well what it's all about, and has his own private worries. I am determined not to nag him in any way. Thanks for listening.

Alexa Tue 24-Mar-20 12:18:03

Callistemon "She is not a child and it is time she moved on, perhaps with her boyfriend.
Yes, it's her choice to go but it is their choice whether they want to risk letting her back in again."

This is the bottom line, the actual facts, and of course I agree. What I wish is not what I am going to get, sadly. The parents remind me of a little sparrow pair supporting huge cuckoo chicks

Nitpick48 Tue 24-Mar-20 13:00:36

It all strikes me as the same attitude we read about at the beginning of WW1, when everyone said blithely “Oh it’ll all be over by Christmas . What’s the fuss?”

grannie7 Tue 24-Mar-20 13:20:43

Nitpick48
And we know how that turned out.

Newatthis Tue 24-Mar-20 13:29:32

They say that this generation is the "take" generation and only ever think of themselves. It is extremely difficult to tell an adult child what they should and shouldn't do and yes GoldenAge you're right - we all must get tough. I wonder how many 'Mums' let their children visit for Mothering Sunday without saying 'No - stay at home' .

CleoPanda Tue 24-Mar-20 13:36:03

Warning people about the terrible risks they are taking is not nagging, it’s doing your bit to save lives. When the true numbers of infectious people come out, it may scare more young people into compliance. The numbers at the moment only indicate those who have been tested, which is a minuscule number. The actual numbers must be phenomenal, especially when some show little or no symptoms. So frustrating, seeing adults behaving like careless, unthinking children.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 24-Mar-20 13:44:28

My neighbour has had her two children home for nearly two weeks with a cough and they stayed in but had people visiting . At the moment people have turned up again and they are all in the garden. Some People just don't seem to be taking any notice.

janeayressister Tue 24-Mar-20 13:44:56

The facts are , that there are not enough staff or ventilators to provide a proper service for all. Quite a lot of people are going to die.
Young people get sick as well and may need to be hospitalised, then Doctors will have to make the agonising choice over who is going to live.
My children who are Doctors working on the front line will be the ones making the choices. It will take its toll on my children, that is if they stay well, themselves. I am terrified and furious at the utter stupidity of some people.
The army should be brought in.

craftyone Tue 24-Mar-20 13:50:18

it won`t be long before these reckless irresponsible people are sick to other people flouting rules that were put in place for the communal good. My neighbour has just driven off again, to see his ladyfriend for the second time today, he is nice and I won`t snitch on him but I hope he stays there. He is 78 and she is over 80

craftyone Tue 24-Mar-20 13:51:00

I meant reported by other people

Liz46 Tue 24-Mar-20 13:54:10

I last went to the supermarket eight days ago and since then have just been out on a few walks, making sure I did not touch anything or go near anyone.

I've had the NHS text now so I can no longer go out.

I am supposed to stay at least three steps away from my husband. That's the difficult one. He has been to the shops twice but has been as careful as possible.

I too am very worried about my children and grandchildren.

MarieEliza Tue 24-Mar-20 15:56:55

I shouldn’t compare this situation to the war era but from what I heard people worked more for each other in the war and saw it as a ‘collective ‘ problem. Maybe a ‘me first’ attitude prevails among some younger people but if they think about it if we all work collectively they would be winners too

GabriellaG54 Tue 24-Mar-20 16:58:51

welbeck
Today, Michael Gove announced that children whose parents are separated but share childcare CAN let the child move from house to house.

etheltbags1 Tue 24-Mar-20 17:03:21

I wonder how people in a relationship will manage. I know I wouldn't want a man in my bed with germs, not just the corona ones, will couples sleep apart. My dD has no spare room so she cannot sleep alone. It doesn't bear thinking about

GabriellaG54 Tue 24-Mar-20 17:05:01

Alexa
Your son has himself 'chosen' to be 'burdened' with his adult offspring and actually drove her to her bfs home.
Not the actions of a man with any intelligence or common sense.

Callistemon Tue 24-Mar-20 17:07:22

Alexa oh dear, I hope it works out.

Hetty58 Tue 24-Mar-20 17:11:01

MarieEliza, there's nothing like a wartime spirit with this. We don't have a common enemy. The 'enemy' is far more dangerous to the elderly, sick and disabled.

I'm utterly dismayed that everyone seems to be ignoring the rules here. A group of neighbours always walk their dogs together, same today. There are kids playing out in groups, visitors in houses, even a noisy barbeque - I just despair!

curvygran Tue 24-Mar-20 17:20:10

Very wise words GoldenAge, thank you .

Alexa Tue 24-Mar-20 18:19:30

Thanks Callistemon it may have been all right after all, My other son presumes she is staying with him for the duration. That is sad of course for her mother and father who will miss her, but rather nice she and her partner can be together.

I hope this is the way it was meant.

Rosina Tue 24-Mar-20 18:29:50

I have just been sent this from a colleague:

I just got this message from a friend of a friend who is an expat just emerging from 7 weeks of lockdown in China:

´We are just finishing our 7th week of E-Learning, seven weeks of being mainly housebound and seven weeks of uncertainty. We are healthy, we are happy, and we are humbled.

We are allowed to move around freely now with a green QR code that we show when we get our temperature taken. You get your temperature taken everywhere, and it's just become part of the routine. Most restaurants and shopping centres are now open, and life is coming back to our city.

As we watch the rest of the world begin their time inside; here are some of my reflections on the last seven weeks:

1. Accept that you have no control over the situation. Let go of any thoughts of trying to plan too much for the next month or two. Things change so fast. Don't be angry and annoyed at the system. Anxiety goes down, and you make the best of the situation - whatever that might be for you. Accept that this is what it is and things will get easier.

2. Try not to listen to/read/watch too much media. It WILL drive you crazy. There is a thing as too much!

3. The sense of community I have felt during this time is incredible. I could choose who I wanted to spend my energy on - who I wanted to call, message and connect with and found the quality of my relationships has improved.

4. Appreciate this enforced downtime. When do you ever have time like this? I will miss it when we go back to the fast-paced speed of the 'real world'.

5. Time goes fast. I still haven't picked up the ukelele I planned to learn, and there are box set TV shows I haven't watched yet.

6. As a teacher, the relationships I have built with my students have only continued to grow. I have loved seeing how independent they are; filming themselves to respond to tasks while also learning essential life skills such as balance, risk-taking and problem-solving, that even we as adults are still learning.

7. You learn to appreciate the little things; sunshine through the window, flowers blossoming and being able to enjoy a coffee in a cafe.

To those just beginning this journey, You will get through it. Listen to what you are told, follow the rules and look out for each other. There is light at the end of the tunnel.´

Hithere Tue 24-Mar-20 18:52:37

I agree with Gabriella, your son is the one who created the monster and the joke who keeps feeding it.

Don't blame your gc, blame your son.

Hithere Tue 24-Mar-20 18:54:25

The one who keeps feeding it, not the joke